Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 11:08 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I'm not sure that 3 hotels is an indication of "moving to the next level". It will take a lot more than that for Greensboro to get off the level it's on.
Well I think that the hotels, along with the PAC and new park, will indeed put downtown Greensboro at a point on the path that downtown Greenville was on about 10-15 years ago. Hopefully the momentum continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 12:18 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
I think the fact that there are this many serious hotel proposals on the table says a lot. This would have been unthinkable and even laughable 15 years ago. I do think the hotels along with the performing arts center, park, greenway and Union Square campus will help set the pace for downtown Greensboro over the next 10 to 20 years. Along the way we may even see some unexpected urban projects in the center-city.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:05 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
We'll have to see how many of them actually happen first. Proposals are a dime a dozen.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:25 PM

97 posts, read 227,577 times
GSO needs to take care of their crime issue & teens downtown...Charlotte had that problem years ago but they nipped that problem years ago...very quickly.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:09 PM

67 posts, read 134,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte2Advance View Post
GSO needs to take care of their crime issue & teens downtown...Charlotte had that problem years ago but they nipped that problem years ago...very quickly.
Ding Ding Ding...

Old 05-22-2014, 08:52 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,561 times
Quote:
Lived in Greensboro for years(college and then 2 more years working, and still visit regularly since a lot of my friends are still there) and not one time have I ever felt unsafe in downtown Greensboro. I live in Cary Now but go to either downtown Durham or Raleigh and hear people say the same thing(while the people who actually go there on a regular basis are not seeing this crime). People watch the news and make isolated events that are often blown way out of proportion and make it out to be like it's mad max out there.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:58 PM

This was the King Cotton Hotel built in 1926. It was the city's largest hotel at the time and was demolished around 1971. The hotel was located on the corner of East Market Street and Davie Street, almost directly across the street from the planned Wyndham Luxury hotel. The Wyndham, which will be an 8 story hotel built on top of a 4 and a half story parking deck will be about the height of the King Cotton.

Here is a side interior elevation of the Wyndham. This must have been an earlier drawing before the hotel plan was downsized because it shows the hotel around 18 or 19 stories. Appears to be the same architectural firm that designed BB&T Ballpark in downtown Winston-Salem and Hotel Indigo in Asheville.

Proposed floor plan which reveals this will be an L shaped tower.

and this parking lot is the site for the proposed downtown Hampton Inn & Suites. Its a small lot, Depending on how many rooms this hotel will have, I suspect it will be between 4 and 7 stories tall.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 05-22-2014 at 11:27 PM..

Old 05-23-2014, 09:16 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Someone is obsessed with comparing Charlotte to the Triad. It's been done already, so you aren't breaking any new ground here. Charlotte is only an hour away...most people here are very familiar with Charlotte.

Enjoy Advance. You are IN the country. If you want a more urban or progressive area in the Triad, Advance is not the place to live.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:18 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
Lived in Greensboro for years(college and then 2 more years working, and still visit regularly since a lot of my friends are still there) and not one time have I ever felt unsafe in downtown Greensboro. I live in Cary Now but go to either downtown Durham or Raleigh and hear people say the same thing(while the people who actually go there on a regular basis are not seeing this crime). People watch the news and make isolated events that are often blown way out of proportion and make it out to be like it's mad max out there.
Agreed. I currently live downtown Greensboro and have never felt unsafe, I use the same life precautions I used when living in High Point or anywhere else I may visit.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:56 PM

I think of the four hotels planned for downtown Greensboro, the one with the longest shot is the hotel planned for the Union Square development at South Elm and Lee Streets. Its not really a set in stone plan and if the other three hotels are built first, it may be a long while before downtown is ready for another. The other three plans (Wyndham, Hampton Inn, and Roy Carroll's mixed-use hotel project) are more solid proposals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point