Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 08:03 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,067,307 times

Advertisements

You mean to tell me that this beautiful, historic building was torn down for new development and that the local preservation society, the city, NOBODY tried to step in and save it?????? This sounds like something straight out of the 1970's; I can't believe that a city that doesn't have a whole lot of historic stock to begin with would just willingly raze such a beautiful building. That's horrible, and I think saying that nobody wanted to buy it was a cop-out. Although it was controversial, the city of Columbia, SC stepped in and bought a historic warehouse that its former owners said couldn't be rehabbed and was slated to be razed; the city has since sold it to a developer who will turn it into a mixed-use development. I don't see why the same couldn't have happened here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 08:47 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,051,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
The saying "something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it" comes to play here. The same goes for the property my building sits upon. The home that was here was historic but, from what I understand had fallen into disrepair. The Dixie building really wasn't much to look at aside from some nice architectural touches on the front. In both cases the economic benefit exceeds the restorative benefit and as I said you can't wish them fixed.
It's called "preservation" and it became more popular about 50 years ago. You can brush off the demolition of an historic downtown building all you want, but it doesn't look good for the city to tear down its history in favor of a shiny new development. Buildings like this one is what gives a city character! It's a sad day when people forget the urban renewal mistakes of the past. This is just another horrible example that is being justified by some as "progress".

I'm sure the building needed massive restoration, but people were actually living there so it's not as if the roof had already caved in or it was beyond repair...that's what historic tax credits are for. It would have been worth it for a quality developer to take on this project rather than allowing the first bidder to demolish it. It is up to the city and the citizens to protect the local history and character.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:13 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,583,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You mean to tell me that this beautiful, historic building was torn down for new development and that the local preservation society, the city, NOBODY tried to step in and save it?????? This sounds like something straight out of the 1970's; I can't believe that a city that doesn't have a whole lot of historic stock to begin with would just willingly raze such a beautiful building. That's horrible, and I think saying that nobody wanted to buy it was a cop-out. Although it was controversial, the city of Columbia, SC stepped in and bought a historic warehouse that its former owners said couldn't be rehabbed and was slated to be razed; the city has since sold it to a developer who will turn it into a mixed-use development. I don't see why the same couldn't have happened here.
No, that's not the building. The demolished building is on the corner of Edgeworth & Bellemeade. It wasn't nearly as attractive as the one you linked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It's called "preservation" and it became more popular about 50 years ago. You can brush off the demolition of an historic downtown building all you want, but it doesn't look good for the city to tear down its history in favor of a shiny new development. Buildings like this one is what gives a city character! It's a sad day when people forget the urban renewal mistakes of the past. This is just another horrible example that is being justified by some as "progress".

I'm sure the building needed massive restoration, but people were actually living there so it's not as if the roof had already caved in or it was beyond repair...that's what historic tax credits are for. It would have been worth it for a quality developer to take on this project rather than allowing the first bidder to demolish it. It is up to the city and the citizens to protect the local history and character.
For this one being torn down several in the area have been or are being renovated with a new lease on life. Sometimes rehabbing a building is just not worth it and from an economic standpoint this project will generate more revenue in the long run.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:23 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,067,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
No, that's not the building. The demolished building is on the corner of Edgeworth & Bellemeade. It wasn't nearly as attractive as the one you linked.
WHEW!!! I was about to say, it's unfathomable for that beautiful historic building to have been demolished. But still, it's too bad that a 100-year old building couldn't have been saved or incorporated into the new development.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
WHEW!!! I was about to say, it's unfathomable for that beautiful historic building to have been demolished. But still, it's too bad that a 100-year old building couldn't have been saved or incorporated into the new development.
I Googled it and got the same results for images. Despite the age of this building it really wasn't much to look at. I really can't say it's a huge loss. If we preserved everything from our ancestors many of us would still be living in caves and log cabins. In the name of progress some things have got to go.
This brings to mind of one of the businesses I frequent downtown. This place has a running photo timeline of then & now of downtown Greensboro. In spite of all the old buildings that have remained quite of few have been demolished over the years for one reason or another.

Last edited by WFW&P; 06-22-2014 at 07:00 PM..

Old 07-10-2014, 03:43 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,966,005 times
...I'm not one for "deconstruction(Demolition)" But i do like all the progressive activity going on downtown, It's nice to see things moving forward rather than stagnating. i would like to see how this will effect greenstreet, which reminds me of the elm back in 2003.. ambitious but rubbish. It will however completely transform Eugene street though, will be rather enclosed.

Also whats going on with the 14 story wyndham?

Old 07-16-2014, 07:27 PM

6,165 posts, read 7,245,347 times
Roy Carroll's mixed use residential hotel project across from the ballpark will be called Bellemeade Village, a name used for another project proposed by another developer that fell through. Carroll says the project will be very upscale and he will release more details in the rhino times tomorrow. The planning board recommended closing a section of Lindsay St for his project.

Planning board recommends street closure for hotel project - Local Business - News-Record.com

update....the project will include 300 upscale apartments and a 6 story hotel. Its a pretty big project taking up almost two city blocks. Demolition has already begun and construction could begin this fall. The 3,000 seat Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts will be constructed a block and a half east of the project. Essentially this project is being built between the ballpark and the performing arts center.

"Carroll, of The Carroll Cos., and Tuggle Duggins attorney Mike Fox presented site plans and renderings to the planning board. Plans show four apartment buildings — two fronting Eugene Street, one fronting Bellmeade Street, and another for property straddling Lindsay Street — built over garage-level parking structures with 245 spaces, as well as additional street-level parking. Some of the apartment buildings could also include ground-level retail.

The hotel would be located on the corner of Eugene and Bellmeade streets (across the street from the plaza entrance to the ballpark). The apartment development would end at the Acropolis restaurant"

"Carroll said the apartments would be “upscale” — including finishes that would be found in a $300,000 home and “an amenity package that will have a lot of ‘wow’ to it.” That would include an outdoor fitness center and a rooftop swimming pool that overlooks NewBridge Bank Park.

The 300-apartment project is just about a block away from the high-end Greenway apartments at the corner of Eugene and Smith streets. The $6 million, 70-unit luxury apartment Greenway at Stadium Park project, which is co-developed by Bellemeade Development and Lomax Construction, is under construction now. Those apartments are the second phase of the $10 million, 196-unit Greenway at Fisher Park apartments at 404 W. Smith St. that went up in 2012."

When you combine all three apartment developments, thats almost 600 apartments surrounding the ballpark! So we are looking at well over 1,000 residents living around the stadium.

I would assume that the buildings In Carroll's project facing Eugene St across the street from the ballpark will have the street level retail.

Roy Carroll?s $50M downtown Greensboro project to include 300 upscale apartments - Triad Business Journal

Last edited by gsoboi78; 07-16-2014 at 08:03 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Roy Carroll's mixed use residential hotel project across from the ballpark will be called Bellemeade Village, a name used for another project proposed by another developer that fell through. Carroll says the project will be very upscale and he will release more details in the rhino times tomorrow. The planning board recommended closing a section of Lindsay. St for his project.

Planning board recommends street closure for hotel project - Local Business - News-Record.com

update....the project will include 300 upscale apartments and a 6 story hotel. Its a pretty big project taking up almost two city blocks. Demolition has already begun and construction could begin this fall.

"Carroll, of The Carroll Cos., and Tuggle Duggins attorney Mike Fox presented site plans and renderings to the planning board. Plans show four apartment buildings — two fronting Eugene Street, one fronting Bellmeade Street, and another for property straddling Lindsay Street — built over garage-level parking structures with 245 spaces, as well as additional street-level parking. Some of the apartment buildings could also include ground-level retail.

The hotel would be located on the corner of Eugene and Bellmeade streets (across the street from the plaza entrance to the ballpark). The apartment development would end at the Acropolis restaurant"

"Carroll said the apartments would be “upscale” — including finishes that would be found in a $300,000 home and “an amenity package that will have a lot of ‘wow’ to it.” That would include an outdoor fitness center and a rooftop swimming pool that overlooks NewBridge Bank Park.

The 300-apartment project is just about a block away from the high-end Greenway apartments at the corner of Eugene and Smith streets. The $6 million, 70-unit luxury apartment Greenway at Stadium Park project, which is co-developed by Bellemeade Development and Lomax Construction, is under construction now. Those apartments are the second phase of the $10 million, 196-unit Greenway at Fisher Park apartments at 404 W. Smith St. that went up in 2012."

Roy Carroll?s $50M downtown Greensboro project to include 300 upscale apartments - Triad Business Journal
Woohoo! That means that ugly-ass bank looking building is a goner!
Hopefully the construction won't upset the Undercurrent's business.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:40 PM

All four apartment buildings will be 6 stories. there will be a rooftop clubhouse, two rooftop pools along with a second floor pool at the hotel overlooking the ballpark. Two of the buildings will line Eugene st and from the renderings it looks like. a 6 story wall stretching almost 2 blocks. The hotel will be a Hyatt Place.
Rhino Times: Clearing The Way For Bellemeade Village

Old 07-17-2014, 06:35 PM

Roy Carroll's Bellemeade Village meant to resemble a New York City block. It would be cool to see a midrise wall of apartments and hotel in the foreground and Greensboro's skyline in the background from the ballpark. Then there will be the Greenway at Stadium Park Apartments overlooking left field. Its going to be a very urban setting around that ballpark. Other cities are so impressed with Roy Carroll's project, they want him to do something similar in their downtowns. I'm impressed with some of the amenities like the three roof top pools and clubhouse. Im also surprised Carroll is building so many apartments with leasing rates beginning at $1,300 a month (300 apartments). They will be the most expensive and most luxurious apartments downtown.

Carroll: Bellemeade Village meant to resemble a ?New York City block? - Greensboro - Triad Business Journal

Last edited by gsoboi78; 07-17-2014 at 07:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point