Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2024, 09:30 PM

113 posts, read 111,609 times

Advertisements

I'm honestly not expecting much to happen until interest rates come back down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2024, 12:13 PM

241 posts, read 239,819 times
TBJ reports on plans to "reimagine" the depot area.

"While the estimated $40 to $45 million project is still in the planning phase, it will likely include an entrepreneurial hub, food hall and outdoor event space"

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...imagining.html

Old 04-06-2024, 09:33 PM

6,166 posts, read 7,248,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
TBJ reports on plans to "reimagine" the depot area.

"While the estimated $40 to $45 million project is still in the planning phase, it will likely include an entrepreneurial hub, food hall and outdoor event space"

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...imagining.html
Very interesting but the city is going to have to do something about the large gathering of homeless people in the vicinity. This is why that News and Record building needs to be demolished ASAP. Definitely a safety issue. I live at CityView Apartments across the tracks and I hear homeless people with mental issues all the time screaming and shouting at the depot. Families are not going to want to come if they don't address this issue. Greensboro probably has the worse downtown homeless problem in the state and quite frankly its the city's fault for providing services for homeless people downtown as oppose to other areas of town. Thats why they loiter and live downtown. This is going to sound bad to say but it's like feeding stray cats outside your front door. Its bad when you walk around downtown and see human poop at the front door of businesses. But the city keeps allowing facilities like the urban ministry and salvation army being built on the edge of downtown. This is the reason for the large concentration of homeless people downtown. There has been plenty of grand announcements but nothing but slow starts, delayed or canceled projects. I'm so frustrated with this s - - - and it's really starting to get old.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 04-06-2024 at 10:02 PM..

Old 04-08-2024, 10:48 AM

391 posts, read 297,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Very interesting but the city is going to have to do something about the large gathering of homeless people in the vicinity. This is why that News and Record building needs to be demolished ASAP. Definitely a safety issue. I live at CityView Apartments across the tracks and I hear homeless people with mental issues all the time screaming and shouting at the depot. Families are not going to want to come if they don't address this issue. Greensboro probably has the worse downtown homeless problem in the state and quite frankly its the city's fault for providing services for homeless people downtown as oppose to other areas of town. Thats why they loiter and live downtown. This is going to sound bad to say but it's like feeding stray cats outside your front door. Its bad when you walk around downtown and see human poop at the front door of businesses. But the city keeps allowing facilities like the urban ministry and salvation army being built on the edge of downtown. This is the reason for the large concentration of homeless people downtown. There has been plenty of grand announcements but nothing but slow starts, delayed or canceled projects. I'm so frustrated with this s - - - and it's really starting to get old.

That's the first thing that came to my mind! I just can't fathom nice retail and dining right in the midst of the Greyhound bus station and all the riff raft that aera has !!!

Old 04-08-2024, 04:02 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,732,134 times
Surprised took so long for a food haul. Downtown Greensboro doesn't have the pop that Winston-Salem has. They need something to pop stand out. They got the space to make a walkable downtown. Would be a great spot for food, small business merchants, fountain, park, wine bar, cobblestones/bricks, and more local restaurants. Add in the museums, music venues, and theater. Add in hotels and the ball park. Some luxury apartments. Automated shuttle. Got something going.

Old 04-09-2024, 06:54 AM

32 posts, read 25,956 times
Really excited by this proposal. A vibrant train hub would be so exciting and a nice callback to Greensboro's history as well. That area of Downtown is very underutilized but full of interesting, historic buildings ripe for revitalization.

Old 04-09-2024, 05:10 PM

241 posts, read 239,819 times
There's two proposals for development on the corner of S. Elm and Lee street at the once planned but cancelled Lidl grocery store location.

1. is an $80 million dollar mixed use project with 160 apartment units and a potential grocery store component developed by the Alexander Company of Wisconsin.

2. is a new location for Andy Zimmerman's company "The Forge," about a $10 million dollar project.

Zimmerman has said he will support the the Alexander project but hopes to move forward with his project if they end up pulling out.

At this point, I'll take anything. The lot has sat for 12 years and I feel Lidl just wasted time.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...an-retail.html

Old 04-10-2024, 10:43 AM

391 posts, read 297,467 times
Quote:
There's two proposals for development on the corner of S. Elm and Lee street at the once planned but cancelled Lidl grocery store location.

1. is an $80 million dollar mixed use project with 160 apartment units and a potential grocery store component developed by the Alexander Company of Wisconsin.

2. is a new location for Andy Zimmerman's company "The Forge," about a $10 million dollar project.

Zimmerman has said he will support the the Alexander project but hopes to move forward with his project if they end up pulling out.

At this point, I'll take anything. The lot has sat for 12 years and I feel Lidl just wasted time.

I forgot, did they ever explain why Lidl pulled out?

Old 04-10-2024, 11:01 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,066,582 times
Quote:

Question: Why do they keep referring to it as "Lee St"? Isn't it Gate City at this point? S Elm and Lee do not intersect at any point while the street is called "Lee".

Old 04-15-2024, 04:43 PM

6,166 posts, read 7,248,557 times
We were just discussing this. This city is trying to do something about the safety and homeless situation at the depot before they add those attractions there.

https://myfox8.com/news/north-caroli...ensboro-depot/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point