Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2023, 08:50 AM

851 posts, read 416,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinXyang View Post
Wow, Westin pulled out… did they officially announce it? The website is still live with the “coming soon”

I feel bad for Greensboro, a city with such a center position of the state as well as lucky to be along the boom/sun belt between Raleigh and charlotte… and just unfortunately ran by morons.

Atleast Nancy seemed gung-ho about changing downtown for better.
Not so lucky to be between Charlotte and Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2023, 09:06 AM

68 posts, read 43,620 times
Quote:
Wow, Westin pulled out… did they officially announce it? The website is still live with the “coming soon”

I feel bad for Greensboro, a city with such a center position of the state as well as lucky to be along the boom/sun belt between Raleigh and charlotte… and just unfortunately ran by morons.

...according to the construction workers. They also said another brand is in the works ...but who who knows. The location is good, the leadership is atrocious.

Old 12-07-2023, 09:23 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,900,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Its ridiculous that it has taken so long to get this hotel off the ground. We have a bunch of amateurs running the city. I sure hope it will be an upscale brand if Westin pulled out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjgso View Post
...according to the construction workers. They also said another brand is in the works ...but who who knows. The location is good, the leadership is atrocious.
Told y’all before and after the last elections to go vote. Told y’all. Smh.

This is unbelievable and completely unacceptable. Well maybe not unbelievable smh

Old 12-08-2023, 09:46 PM

676 posts, read 493,155 times
A new cocktail bar (Muddles) is opening soon at 607-B South Elm... beside Bonchons.

Old 12-14-2023, 04:58 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,220,549 times
Greensboro city manager says the city is looking to build.a large live music venue, a soccer stadium and or an arena downtown. He said since downtown doesn't have a convention center it needs more venues to attract people downtown. He didn't mention how they would be funded exactly but my guess is through hotel/motel tax eventually under the umbrella of who ever manages the coliseum and Tanger Center.

"He envisions a future downtown entertainment district that includes the existing First National Bank Field where the Greensboro Grasshoppers play as well as a soccer stadium, a music hall or arena and a food hall."

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...-jaiyeoba.html

Old 12-14-2023, 08:35 PM

378 posts, read 204,411 times
Quote:

Many cities are run by morons, but don't blame this on the City of Greensboro. Westin likely pulled out (assuming that they did) because of the sub-par, underfunded development group. The fact that it took two years to build a five story parking deck didn't help either.

Old 12-15-2023, 03:50 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,220,549 times
Based on what the city manager said in the most recent Triad Business Journal article this week it appears Westin is still going to be the hotel brand

Old 12-15-2023, 08:45 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,053,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Based on what the city manager said in the most recent Triad Business Journal article this week it appears Westin is still going to be the hotel brand
Not necessarily. Generally it would be expected to continue referring to it by the brand that had been announced until a new brand is ultimately announced. It also wouldn't be surprising for re-brand to be kept semi-quiet so that when it becomes a Springhill Suites or something similar there isn't a lot of attention brought to losing a "Westin" label.

Old 12-15-2023, 11:10 AM

385 posts, read 289,179 times
Worst case scenario is it could be a Super 8 , honestly though still think anything other then a hotel would be better use of that site. Suppose some out of towners that are catching a show at Tangor might end up crashing for the night there, or perhaps the cast of the shows could stay there. But I don't see what would attract people to a downtown hotel with the current state of our downtown and lack of activities..and with the snails pace slow progress of building downtown, I don't see a hotel being fully utilized downtown anytime soon. Maybe in the year 2040 but no sooner in my opinion.

Old 12-15-2023, 02:19 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,053,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
Worst case scenario is it could be a Super 8 , honestly though still think anything other then a hotel would be better use of that site. Suppose some out of towners that are catching a show at Tangor might end up crashing for the night there, or perhaps the cast of the shows could stay there. But I don't see what would attract people to a downtown hotel with the current state of our downtown and lack of activities..and with the snails pace slow progress of building downtown, I don't see a hotel being fully utilized downtown anytime soon. Maybe in the year 2040 but no sooner in my opinion.
I sort of agree, especially with the hotels that have already been added downtown in the last few years (Hyatt Place, Hampton Inn and Suites, and the proposed AC Hotel. I wonder if there may be some cold feet about yet another hotel going up in a downtown that really has yet to blossom. Yes, there's more going on then there was 7-8 years ago.... but it's still being left in the dust by even Winston-Salem IMO.

I wonder if they may simply keep the parking garage for now and worry about the hotel on top in a few years when/if something happens at the N&R property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point