Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2022, 12:57 AM

241 posts, read 238,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCB-CD View Post
https://www.greensboro-nc.gov/home/s...98224184225911 So the Redevelopment Commision has finally pushed a plan for the South Elm redevelopment to the city council and it's... *drum roll* a small single story suburban grocery store surrounded by surface parking lots. This is so crappy it feels like it should be a joke. lmao I can't believe it took them 17 years and millions of dollars to propose this. Is it possible for them to be fired?

Wow that's a let down. A grocery store downtown is a big plus, but this current plan just sounds like a wasted opportunity.

While we're at it, what's going on with Union Square? I thought it was originally to expand with housing and retail etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2022, 10:09 AM

388 posts, read 291,745 times
Downtown should be cohesive and have a flow.. this is gonna stick out and kill the archuturual vibe the downtown was starting to get with the mixed use buildings. But at least downtown will have a grocery store. Very surprised that some developer back in 2000s when City view poped up , didn't try to attempt building a grocery store back then.. or did they?!

Old 02-13-2022, 01:04 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
Downtown should be cohesive and have a flow.. this is gonna stick out and kill the archuturual vibe the downtown was starting to get with the mixed use buildings. But at least downtown will have a grocery store. Very surprised that some developer back in 2000s when City view poped up , didn't try to attempt building a grocery store back then.. or did they?!
The old A&P grocery store in Southside near CityView should have been renovated and used as a grocery store again. Instead they are planning to tear that building down.

But the Lidl layout totally destroys the flow of the Union Square development down there. If they are going to build it this way, at the very least the store should front Gate City Blvd and South Elm Street and not the store's parking lot.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:13 AM

97 posts, read 71,360 times
If you're a Greensboro resident, here's a link to email the city council and new city manager:

https://www.greensboro-nc.gov/govern...l-city-council

The vote is tomorrow - let them know what you think.

Old 02-15-2022, 12:05 PM

Video news link on the Lidl grocery store coming to downtown Greensboro

https://myfox8.com/news/north-caroli...wn-greensboro/

Old 02-15-2022, 02:47 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,708,545 times
Have a dumb question why not build the Lidl on East Market street across from Exon and the Church?

Old 02-15-2022, 05:00 PM

Downtown Greensboro Inc supports Lidl coming downtown but they are pushing for this store to be a part of a mixed-use development.

Update: city council voted 9-0 in favor of selling the lot to Lidl. While I would prefer this to be a part of a mixed-use development, I'll still support it. One point was made by one of the city council persons. On the north end of downtown there is another grocery store........Deep Roots Market. It too is laid out like the Lidl store will be laid out in terms of stand alone store with a parking lot. While this is not the best case scenario for the Lidl lot, it can still attract other development on nearby lots that can be more mixed-use. Lidl may change direction and build something more mixed-use but if they don't, I'll still support a big name grocer coming downtown. Downtown Greensboro will have two grocery stores, that says a lot in how far downtown has come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Have a dumb question why not build the Lidl on East Market street across from Exon and the Church?
The apartment development going up on the old Post Office site (Bailey Village Downtown East) does call for a grocery store. They didn't land Lidl but I would imagine Aldi would be a good fit.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 02-15-2022 at 05:31 PM..

Old 02-16-2022, 05:05 AM

388 posts, read 291,745 times
Side note.. I'm not Big on the Bailey Village name... it's way to similar to the Bailey power plant aera name in Winston.. wish this project had a more unique name.. of course now we can compare and contrast our Bailey aera to Winstons Bailey aera in the future

Old 02-16-2022, 08:43 AM

511 posts, read 511,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
Side note.. I'm not Big on the Bailey Village name... it's way to similar to the Bailey power plant aera name in Winston.. wish this project had a more unique name.. of course now we can compare and contrast our Bailey aera to Winstons Bailey aera in the future
Oh yeah, I forgot that the Bailey Village plans include a grocery store. I wonder if that part will get scrapped with the news about Lidl. Only the apartments are currently under construction, correct?

Old 02-16-2022, 11:19 AM

475 posts, read 685,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Downtown Greensboro will have two grocery stores, that says a lot in how far downtown has come.
The fact that Lidl is being given FIVE YEARS to deliver what amounts to a corner grocery store also says a lot about how far Greensboro, downtown, and the planning commissions still have to go in performing like a city of 300,000 people. Cities deliver full blown real skyscrapers in shorter windows of time.

A lot can happen in five years. Or, not happen. Here's to the 2027-2028 grand opening!

Last edited by gold15; 02-16-2022 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point