Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2023, 11:36 AM

385 posts, read 289,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinXyang View Post
it’s insane to me in general how slow in general GSO is with its downtown developments…but man they sure know how build a parking deck..rather quickly, but is it just a lack of construction workers? Or is it the city or city leaders in general, back when I lived in GSO, it seemed a lot more progressive.. and the projects more so..LIKE the original Carroll SOB, a cool tower and another high rise AC hotel, that was promising, but now it’s a cookie cutter insert urban *mixeduse development here* what happened? I was in town visiting family last week..and the Westin.. is still the same height it was in early early 2023… but as I was posting my updates here, I remember there being a lot more activity on the lot…then it just abruptly stopped..

So what truly gives..?

Whatever Winston Salem is doing, Greensboro needs to take notes, I was very impressed with how WS is progressing, I just truly find it weird on why Greensboro is so slow now, it used to have more energy.
I feel like Greensboro is going thru a identity crisis.. or having a hard time with reality.. Greensboro downtown has catered to the college crowd for a long long time.. which I can't blame them as it is a mostly college town.. but now they wanna get young professionals and I feel like they are just trying to figure out what exactly to put downtown and who to cater too more... They gotta put stuff to attract the people making money and that will spend money downtown and that's not the college kids .. but also I feel like the majority of the downtown aera is the college age crowd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2023, 11:39 AM

511 posts, read 510,600 times
Winston has a lot of things going on. All the residential that has popped up around the Dash stadium is got to be what Greensboro envisioned for their ballpark. And Greensboro had a 5 year head start. I have no idea why things are so slow in Greensboro. It's absurd.

There are some things happening. The residential on N. Spring and Battleground seems to be moving along. And they are finally continuing work on the old Mock Judson Voehringer Mill on Oakland Ave, although it's not downtown.

Has Matheny ever addressed why everything takes so long?

Old 10-20-2023, 11:44 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,220,549 times
I'm interested in the unannounced projects Matheny was referring to. Also the city manager said during a downtown tour that there is a huge project in the works for downtown that he couldn't discuss and he wasn't referring to what the Ryan Companies has planned for the News and Record site

Old 10-20-2023, 12:16 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,959,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I'm interested in the unannounced projects Matheny was referring to. Also the city manager said during a downtown tour that there is a huge project in the works for downtown that he couldn't discuss and he wasn't referring to what the Ryan Companies has planned for the News and Record site
what do you mean they can’t discuss it? Why does the city keep a shroud of secrecy over everything… are they trying to build hype? That is a very old fashion mentality, just be upfront and say what it is…show a rendering…or something other than “Hey, we have *insert here* future BIG BIG project to announce” sounds like a 4th grade show and tell “Nuh-uh” BS. And that is exactly what irks me about GSO, they had the spotlight for a while, it was developments being announced *almost* weekly, and Greensboro was finally acting like a city with over 300k residence, but of course covid happened..And it’s like the city itself caught covid and has just been in a deteriorating state ever since… 800 million$ worth of developments, they thrive on buzz words but show no proof.

It’s absolutely irritating, especially being in one of the most progressive states in the US and market flooding with potential.. I truly believe the user that said Greensboro was hit with a time suppressing ray gun and has been stuck in January 2008.

Old 10-20-2023, 01:03 PM

385 posts, read 289,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YinXyang View Post
what do you mean they can’t discuss it? Why does the city keep a shroud of secrecy over everything… are they trying to build hype? That is a very old fashion mentality, just be upfront and say what it is…show a rendering…or something other than “Hey, we have *insert here* future BIG BIG project to announce” sounds like a 4th grade show and tell “Nuh-uh” BS. And that is exactly what irks me about GSO, they had the spotlight for a while, it was developments being announced *almost* weekly, and Greensboro was finally acting like a city with over 300k residence, but of course covid happened..And it’s like the city itself caught covid and has just been in a deteriorating state ever since… 800 million$ worth of developments, they thrive on buzz words but show no proof.

It’s absolutely irritating, especially being in one of the most progressive states in the US and market flooding with potential.. I truly believe the user that said Greensboro was hit with a time suppressing ray gun and has been stuck in January 2008.

Ahh yes... 2008... The year that finally brought in more residential to the downtown aera in the form of City View Apts... That apt complex was a game changer to downtown. Something so simple yet had a big effect on the aera!

Old 10-20-2023, 01:56 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,053,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
Lol I just saw the news bit on downtown growing.. one thing that stood out was when they mention we had gotten new restaurants, but In reality we didn't gain more restaurants.. alot of the new restaurants just replaced old ones that went out of business.. also wonder if he's gonna sit on the NC rail lot for awhile before actually building something;(.... And yes no mention of Westin...
And to be honest, Bellemeade Bistro fits a niche as a ground floor counter service spot in an office building.... but it's not exactly the type of development that moves the needle in any way shape or form. Nobody is coming to downtown to eat there... or even to look forward to eating there while going to a show/ballgame.... at best some of those visitors may end up there.

Basically, the presentation looked like a big number (dollars) but otherwise a whole lot of nothing. Either it was a summation of stuff everyone already knew was coming few real updates on any of them or it was like you said, a replacement for something else that went under.

Old 10-20-2023, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
Winston has a lot of things going on. All the residential that has popped up around the Dash stadium is got to be what Greensboro envisioned for their ballpark. And Greensboro had a 5 year head start. I have no idea why things are so slow in Greensboro. It's absurd.

There are some things happening. The residential on N. Spring and Battleground seems to be moving along. And they are finally continuing work on the old Mock Judson Voehringer Mill on Oakland Ave, although it's not downtown.

Has Matheny ever addressed why everything takes so long?
Especially when you factor in that Greensboro's stadium was literally built IN downtown (rather than more adjacent to downtown like Winston-Salem's).

Also, no mention of the development that was supposed to be happening by the owners of the Hoppers.... a development that has been touted for two+ years with absolutely no details.

Old 10-20-2023, 02:28 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,220,549 times
Honestly its probably a good thing they keep developments in the beginning stages secret as opposed to making announcements prematurely getting everyones hopes up. Developments in these stages may or may not happen. I still remember the drip drip leak of the so called Greensboro Triumph Center in the News and Record and Triad Business Journal. It was announced with fanfare as if it were a sure thing when it was just a concept from a novice local developer who had no experience with projects of that scope. Years ago there was a 15 story office tower proposed next to the ballpark and nobody knew about until after a few years when the plan fell through. I don't really want to know about a project unless serious steps are taken to develop it. There are other reasons for keeping projects secret as well. Foreknowledge could lead to a spike in land costs if a developer is looking at a particular piece of property.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 10-20-2023 at 02:39 PM..

Old 10-20-2023, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Honestly its probably a good thing they keep developments in the beginning stages secret as opposed to making announcements prematurely getting everyones hopes up. Developments in these stages may or may not happen. I still remember the drip drip leak of the so called Greensboro Triumph Center in the News and Record and Triad Business Journal. It was announced with fanfare as if it were a sure thing when it was just a concept from a novice local developer who had no experience with projects of that scope. Years ago there was a 15 story office tower proposed next to the ballpark and nobody knew about until after a few years when the plan fell through. I don't really want to know about a project unless serious steps are taken to develop it. There are other reasons for keeping projects secret as well. Foreknowledge could lead to a spike in land costs if a developer is looking at a particular piece of property.
Then in that case, saying nothing is probably better than "something HUGE is coming!"... even if that "something huge" ends up being a mid-rise Hampton Inn or something (when it was initially proposed as a high-end high rise hotel).

Teasing huge news constantly when huge news doesn't materialize just looks amateurish.... if there's something to share, share it. If there's nothing to share, it's better to just keep quiet.

In this case, I'm betting the tease is about whatever it is that Hoppers ownership is putting together. Hopefully it ends up being something good. For instance, that side of town could use a food hall... even if that food hall is the bottom floor(s) of something bigger.

Old 10-21-2023, 10:34 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,959,283 times
What is going with the Westin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point