Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2023, 12:36 AM

676 posts, read 493,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
I herd the green bean downtown is reopening with new management. Not sure when they will open back for business thou! I'm headed to see Aladdin tonight at the performance arts center, so will drive around downtown and check out the developments!
This weekend ain't the night to be driving around downtown checking out stuff.... probable gridlock all weekend... at least until Sunday morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2023, 05:54 AM

385 posts, read 289,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLT View Post
This weekend ain't the night to be driving around downtown checking out stuff.... probable gridlock all weekend... at least until Sunday morning.
Yep your right about that !! As soon as I hit the area where cookout is on summit I'm rememberd it was home coming... Only went to the Performance arts center and that was it !!!

Old 11-16-2023, 09:07 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,900,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YinXyang View Post
… 800 million$ worth of developments, they thrive on buzz words but show no proof.

It’s absolutely irritating, especially being in one of the most progressive states in the US and market flooding with potential.. I truly believe the user that said Greensboro was hit with a time suppressing ray gun and has been stuck in January 2008.
That was me who said that about the ray gun lol … thanks for the reference. I convinced that the city in fact did get hit with a ray gun that suspended it in time. And you make so many good points. Irritating is an excellent word, but I’ve been leaning toward sad. Ive been kinda saddened by it … just seeing the slow deterioration and energy drain. Honestly feels like more activity is happening outside of the city’s core than inside of it.

As Chad said, the city has been in an identity crisis, particularly DT, relying either on the osmosis of a decade prior (college centered stuff) and/or just randomly throwing ish at the wall hoping it sticks. I’m still wondering what exactly is the Chamber doing to spur development and revitalization. I might start popping in on the Chamber’s coffee and conversation events. Since the council seems to be content with staying in a holding pattern and taking a laissez faire approach, another body, group, organization needs to step up. Quickly!

Last edited by UserNamesake; 11-16-2023 at 09:20 AM..

Old 12-05-2023, 08:59 AM

I really look forward to seeing what the downtown aera will look like in 2024 and what changes will come to the Cityscape. Hopefully the Westin will start being built and new stores and restaurants popping up. We do need more restaurants that are actually adding to the downtown and not just replacing a failed restaurants. I really hope 2024 brings big changes to downtown!

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Old 12-05-2023, 09:16 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,053,125 times
Quote:
I really look forward to seeing what the downtown aera will look like in 2024 and what changes will come to the Cityscape. Hopefully the Westin will start being built and new stores and restaurants popping up. We do need more restaurants that are actually adding to the downtown and not just replacing a failed restaurants. I really hope 2024 brings big changes to downtown!

Im hoping that something gets announced around the Hoppers stadium. It has been 2+ years now that "big things are coming" was first mentioned... and outside of the occasional "oh yeah, just wait" it has been radio silent. Fully expecting that to turn into like 100-200 apartments on 3-4 story buildings with or without ground level retail (probably without).

Old 12-05-2023, 10:09 AM

68 posts, read 43,620 times
Quote:

At Thanksgiving, I visited my nephew at work (rehabbing a business directly across from Cincy's). I actually asked some of the guys working on the parking deck about the Westin. They told me Westin has actually pulled out of the project and another brand is taking over ....hence the delay.

Old 12-06-2023, 07:08 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,220,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Im hoping that something gets announced around the Hoppers stadium. It has been 2+ years now that "big things are coming" was first mentioned... and outside of the occasional "oh yeah, just wait" it has been radio silent. Fully expecting that to turn into like 100-200 apartments on 3-4 story buildings with or without ground level retail (probably without).
Things have been fairly silent since the June announcement of the Ryan Companies plans for the News and Record site. As for the Westin, Construction on the hotel above the deck is suppose to begin around late December or January but we'll see

Old 12-06-2023, 09:06 AM

Well if it's true that the Westin pulled out, then hopefully it will be the Hard lesson , that finally teaches the folks that run downtown things!... And hopefully another high end hotel will take it's spot and not a lower tier chain.. actually wouldn't mind it being something other then a hotel. Heck now that the parking deck is built, they can put a Publix on top and it would be just like the one in Winston! And we all know that downtown Greensboro would benefit more from a grocery store downtown instead of another hotel!!!

Old 12-06-2023, 09:24 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,220,549 times
Quote:
Well if it's true that the Westin pulled out, then hopefully it will be the Hard lesson , that finally teaches the folks that run downtown things!... And hopefully another high end hotel will take it's spot and not a lower tier chain.. actually wouldn't mind it being something other then a hotel. Heck now that the parking deck is built, they can put a Publix on top and it would be just like the one in Winston! And we all know that downtown Greensboro would benefit more from a grocery store downtown instead of another hotel!!!
Its ridiculous that it has taken so long to get this hotel off the ground. We have a bunch of amateurs running the city. I sure hope it will be an upscale brand if Westin pulled out.

Old 12-07-2023, 08:13 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,959,283 times
Wow, Westin pulled out… did they officially announce it? The website is still live with the “coming soon”

I feel bad for Greensboro, a city with such a center position of the state as well as lucky to be along the boom/sun belt between Raleigh and charlotte… and just unfortunately ran by morons.

Atleast Nancy seemed gung-ho about changing downtown for better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point