Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2023, 08:12 AM

851 posts, read 416,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_thomas View Post
I did see that article. I thought Robbie had some interesting points, and I do miss having his perspective on the city council. However, to me the article also showcased something that IMO is a major shortcoming in city leadership. They seem to be so focused on trying to hit a home run, that they forget that you can score effectively by hitting lots of singles too. In other words, they want to land a big transformative project, rather than cultivating an environment where lots of small projects can happen organically.

If you asked anyone what the best part of downtown Greensboro is, they would say South Elm Street, right? Why is that? Sure, there are lots of old buildings that have been reserved, but it's a great street because it's walkable, it's people-scaled (mostly 1-4 story buildings with narrow frontages), and for the most part it has not been decimated by parking lots. So, why is city leadership not trying to replicate this model elsewhere? They should be trying to encourage the emergence of 5 more South Elm Streets and 5 more Southsides, and prioritizing the pedestrian experience on downtown streets. Instead, the city is obsessed with building more parking decks, and hoping that maybe Roy Carroll will break ground some day or that some out of town developer will come in and do something great.
How many good paying jobs that support a middle-class lifestyle would 5 more South Elm Streets bring to Greensboro? Everybody wants hip and bustling downtowns, but they work best as icing on a cake of widespread middle-class prosperity that's already been baked. The best tax dollars we can spend are those to lure and facilitate significant employers to locate here. In my opinion, economies grow downtowns, not the reverse.

Last edited by TunedIn; 12-18-2023 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 09:23 AM

241 posts, read 237,030 times
Partnership of Local Investors to Purchase Triad Stage, Enhance Creative Vibe on Elm Street

https://www.downtowngreensboro.org/a...a-5e7ae3c95c08

Old 12-18-2023, 09:52 AM

385 posts, read 289,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
How many good paying jobs that support a middle-class lifestyle would 5 more South Elm Streets bring to Greensboro? Everybody wants hip and bustling downtowns, but they work best as icing on a cake of widespread middle-class prosperity that's already been baked. The best tax dollars we can spend are those to lure and facilitate significant employers to locate here. In my opinion, economies grow downtowns, not the reverse.
I agree! As of now downtown is mostly bars and restaurants that bring low paying wait staff positions.. we need some actual "BIG BOY" and " Big Girl" jobs downtown! Jobs that can afford the people to go out and spend on the restaurants, bars and shops the downtown has!

Old 12-18-2023, 12:33 PM

920 posts, read 746,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
...we need some actual "BIG BOY" and " Big Girl" jobs downtown! Jobs that can afford the people to go out and spend on the restaurants, bars and shops the downtown has!
Are downtown bars, restaurants and shops only open to those who work downtown?

Old 12-18-2023, 12:59 PM

385 posts, read 289,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
Are downtown bars, restaurants and shops only open to those who work downtown?
There are a lot of companies out there, that want their businesses to be located in a thriving downtown. I just meant I don't want all the downtown real estate to be taking up by only bars, and restaurants. I want Greensboro to reach out to businesses that offer jobs that that can pay above mim wage and show them what our downtown can provide their employees!!! Our downtown is only Soo big and we need to make sure we save room for actual companies to be located downtown!

Old 12-18-2023, 04:14 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,220,549 times
I agree. While bars and restaurants are great, I want to see more residential and post covid niche office development. Downtown is actually bigger than it seems but there are only so many available properties for development.

Old 12-18-2023, 09:50 PM

378 posts, read 204,411 times
Quote:
I agree! As of now downtown is mostly bars and restaurants that bring low paying wait staff positions.. we need some actual "BIG BOY" and " Big Girl" jobs downtown! Jobs that can afford the people to go out and spend on the restaurants, bars and shops the downtown has!
What do you mean by that?

Old 12-18-2023, 09:58 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,220,549 times
As former mayor Robbie Perkins stated, traditional office space/jobs are a challenge for downtown and the focus should be on high paying tech and medical office jobs with university involvement.

Old 12-18-2023, 10:08 PM

378 posts, read 204,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
As former mayor Robbie Perkins stated, traditional office space/jobs are a challenge for downtown and the focus should be on high paying tech and medical office jobs with university involvement.
Understood.

Old 12-22-2023, 09:52 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
By cultivating more south Elm streets, the city would be providing more opportunities for entrepreneurs/small business owners downtown to establish themselves and thrive. That's essentially the same fundamental process that successful business recruitment strategies are built upon. It's not an either/or situation given obvious differences and typically cities budget for both. Also the city usually partners with the county when it comes to general business recruitment activities.

Furthermore, a revitalized, active downtown also functions as good PR for a city which is very much beneficial for economic development purposes.

Quote:
There are a lot of companies out there, that want their businesses to be located in a thriving downtown. I just meant I don't want all the downtown real estate to be taking up by only bars, and restaurants. I want Greensboro to reach out to businesses that offer jobs that that can pay above mim wage and show them what our downtown can provide their employees!!! Our downtown is only Soo big and we need to make sure we save room for actual companies to be located downtown!
From the looks of it, downtown Greensboro isn't in danger of running out of real estate that could host larger employers anytime soon. There are tons of lots with surface parking and nondescript, underutilized low-rise buildings that could easily be (re)developed more intensively for job sites of several hundred people. Furthermore, as downtowns grow and develop, they also tend to expand their footprints as well. Again, Greensboro's SC counterpart and near-namesake is a good example.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 12-22-2023 at 10:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point