Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2023, 09:38 AM

97 posts, read 70,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
No we absolutely don't! We want at least one part of the city that doesn't look it's like run down and a homeless magnet .. alot of bus shelters I've seen are broken, homeless sleeping in them, and clothing thrown out and about them... so yes.. let's not mess with Friendly Centers Vibe!!!
I don't even know where to begin with this comment. You would deny users of the bus system the very basic accommodation of shelter and a place to sit (which should be the bare minimum standard for all bus stops, but shamefully is not), all to protect the "vibe" of an out-of-town company's real estate? What vibe are you talking about, anyway - the oversized, always-half-empty parking lots that surround strip mall retail buildings in need of a refresh?

Friendly Center needs to catch up with the times. Just look at the Village (formerly Cameron Village) in Raleigh. When I was at NCSU in the early 2000s, Friendly was a lot nicer than Cameron Village. But since then, Cameron has been totally refreshed, redeveloped, and diversified with lots of residential and other uses. Meanwhile, Friendly is basically the same as it was 20 years ago. It has a ton of potential to be great, but I don't think it will ever reach that potential under CBL's ownership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2023, 10:15 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,900,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_thomas View Post
I don't even know where to begin with this comment. You would deny users of the bus system the very basic accommodation of shelter and a place to sit (which should be the bare minimum standard for all bus stops, but shamefully is not), all to protect the "vibe" of an out-of-town company's real estate? What vibe are you talking about, anyway - the oversized, always-half-empty parking lots that surround strip mall retail buildings in need of a refresh?

Friendly Center needs to catch up with the times. Just look at the Village (formerly Cameron Village) in Raleigh. When I was at NCSU in the early 2000s, Friendly was a lot nicer than Cameron Village. But since then, Cameron has been totally refreshed, redeveloped, and diversified with lots of residential and other uses. Meanwhile, Friendly is basically the same as it was 20 years ago. It has a ton of potential to be great, but I don't think it will ever reach that potential under CBL's ownership.
I usually agree with you Chad, but the post above is spot on. There is no real “vibe” at Friendly Center that would be dramatically altered by placing a bus shelter there. Whatever vibe Friendly has is “bleh” anyway, and as mentioned above, it’s a vibe that is kinda antiquated at this point. It’s just arguably the best or most notable shopping destination, experience that the inner core of Greensboro has to offer right now, so it’s easy to view it as something that it’s not when the perspective is myopic, which is also easy to hold as a viewpoint.

Old 10-12-2023, 10:25 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,220,549 times
I think the Shops at Friendly Center are fine in its layout and upscale design. The old section of Friendly needs to be refreshed to look like a true lifestyle center.

Old 10-12-2023, 10:35 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,900,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I think the Shops at Friendly Center are fine in its layout and upscale design. The old section of Friendly needs to be refreshed to look like a true lifestyle center.
It’s upscale for Greensboro, but it’s not upscale. Cmon now lol

J_Thomas mentioned The Village, which is way more of a vibe and aesthetically pleasing than Friendly. Friendly isn’t even aesthetically inviting or uniform in design . I do like the artificial green space by the ice cream shop, but let’s be real, it’s turf and the fountains are dirty and don’t even work. FC not really walkable and the wear and tear there is becoming apparent — as with many structures within Greensboro’s core.

Old 10-12-2023, 12:42 PM

385 posts, read 289,179 times
I just mean if they were to get bus shelters at Friendly Center then I hope the city will keep up with the up keep of them. I just passed by two on market St today filled with trash . I wouldn't want to see that at Friendly Center

Old 10-12-2023, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_thomas View Post

I mean we got to protect the vibe ( or what's left of it) before it becomes completely like any other run down strip mall of Greensboro... Friendly center does have a lot of potential, that's why we don't need eye sores such as bus shelters there that's gonna get trashed and destroyed like the others have been around town ... we gotta keep Friendly Center looking good, the best we can so it can have potential to go through way of the Village. Or else it's just doomed to be another run down shopping center.

Old 10-20-2023, 08:12 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,220,549 times
$800 million in the pipeline for downtown development projects some of which are unannounced. Also construction on Carroll's ballpark development with the AC Hotel will begin next year.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...g-tourism.html

Old 10-20-2023, 10:05 AM

52 posts, read 69,857 times
No mention of the Westin project?

Old 10-20-2023, 10:42 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,959,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINsalem View Post
No mention of the Westin project?
it’s insane to me in general how slow in general GSO is with its downtown developments…but man they sure know how build a parking deck..rather quickly, but is it just a lack of construction workers? Or is it the city or city leaders in general, back when I lived in GSO, it seemed a lot more progressive.. and the projects more so..LIKE the original Carroll SOB, a cool tower and another high rise AC hotel, that was promising, but now it’s a cookie cutter insert urban *mixeduse development here* what happened? I was in town visiting family last week..and the Westin.. is still the same height it was in early early 2023… but as I was posting my updates here, I remember there being a lot more activity on the lot…then it just abruptly stopped..

So what truly gives..?

Whatever Winston Salem is doing, Greensboro needs to take notes, I was very impressed with how WS is progressing, I just truly find it weird on why Greensboro is so slow now, it used to have more energy.

Last edited by YinXyang; 10-20-2023 at 10:53 AM..

Old 10-20-2023, 11:28 AM

Lol I just saw the news bit on downtown growing.. one thing that stood out was when they mention we had gotten new restaurants, but In reality we didn't gain more restaurants.. alot of the new restaurants just replaced old ones that went out of business.. also wonder if he's gonna sit on the NC rail lot for awhile before actually building something;(.... And yes no mention of Westin...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point