Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 08:09 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,061,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John NC View Post
Yeah a 2 minute skim is plenty of time to form an educated opinion on something. For sure.

"Activity at Former Bailey Power Plant Heats Up with New Tenants
Triad Business Journal – April 2, 2019

The activity at a high-profile Triad property may soon get hotter than a wood-fired pizza oven.

Indeed, part of the new heat generated at the former Bailey Power Plant on the Wake Forest Innovation Quarter is due to the opening last month of the Cugino Forno Pizzeria, next door to Incendiary Brewing.

Cugino Forno and Incendiary, which opened in September, both open out into a vast outdoor patio with spacious seating in the plant’s former coal pit. With mild spring temperatures due, the patio soon should be a hub of activity in the Innovation Quarter.

But food and drink aren’t the only newcomers to Bailey. Since its grand opening in February 2018 following $40 million in renovations, the former power planthas added several tenants, including Renfro Corp. and Javara Research, which combine to occupy about 10,000 square feet.

And more restaurant, retail and office offerings are under construction in the adjacent Bailey South project developed by Front Street Capital and scheduled for completion around the end of this year. Meanwhile, move-ins for the first of the 340 units at Link Apartments Innovation Quarter, directly across Patterson Avenue from Bailey, are scheduled for August."

"Change Your Socks: One of the World’s Largest Sock Makers Innovating Design Out of Winston-Salem
Triad Business Journal – November 12, 2018

Renfro Corporations, a privately held sock manufacturing company headquartered in Mount Airy with offices in major cities around the globe, recently occupied a 5,000-square-foot space within Innovation Quarter in Winston-Salem. The office is inside the repurposed Bailey Power Plant, once owned and operated by R.J. Reynolds.

The symmetry of a near century-old company reinventing itself in such a space is not lost on Renfro CEO and President Stan Jewell.

“Where we are going with this transformation of our company, a really deliberate transformation of our company, I think being in Bailey Power Plant is really important both symbolically and actually the space itself has been transformed from an old power plant for a tobacco facility into this beautiful space,” he said."

"Developer Provides Updates on Bailey South
Triad Business Journal – October 11, 2018

Securing The Variable ad agency as the tenant for the top two floors isn’t the only new involving Bailey South, the new building planned in Wake Forest Innovation Quarter.

Coleman Team of developer Front Street Capital provided other updated information to Triad Business Journal Wednesday.

First of all, the 75,000-square-foot building–9,000 from the original R.J. Reynolds building–will have six floors. When Triad Business Journal broke the story about the estimated $20 million building in June, Front Street Capital said it wasn’t sure whether the building would be five or six floors.

Plus Team said a second bridge–original plans called for only one–will connect foot traffic directly to the second floor retail and restaurant space. The first bridge will be on former rail track, and the second will connect the sidewalk on 4th Street."

"Ad agency takes top two floors of new Bailey South building in Winston-Salem
Triad Business Journal - October 9, 2018

The Variable, a Winston-Salem ad agency, will occupy the top two floors of a new Bailey South building under development at Wake Forest Innovation Quarter, Front Street Capital and the Innovation Quarter announced Tuesday morning.

“We can’t imagine a better suited marquee tenant to anchor our redevelopment of Bailey South,” said Coleman Team, developer of the project with Front Street Capital. “The Variable is perennially recognized as one of the most innovative and creative agencies in the entire country, and they work with well-known international, national and local companies. They are a homegrown, Winston-Salem success story and their presence will add significantly to the vibrancy of this development.”

Triad Business Journal broke the story about the development of Bailey South, with nearly 100,000 square feet of office and retail space, in June.

The Variable focuses on business innovation, marketing consulting and advertising services.

Bailey South, a 9,000-square-foot nondescript building between two smokestacks, will be expanded with a connecting five- to six-floor structure offering between 66,000 and 75,000 square feet of new space. The first two floors of the original and new space will be dedicated to restaurants and retail. Coleman Team said delivery of the estimated $20 million Bailey South is scheduled for December 2019.

According to a release from FSC and the Innovation Quarter, The Variable’s team has quadrupled in size over the past four years, putting the company on the brink of maximum capacity in its space at nearby Plant 64.

David Mullen, president of The Variable, said he was impressed with the plans for the building by Stitch Design Shop, including communal spaces, and the potential impact of the project for downtown Winston-Salem.

“We needed to develop our office space plan for 2020 and beyond given our growth path, and we were dead set on finding something that would feed and grow our innovative spirit and creative heart,” Mullen said."

"Triad Programs Match Women, Minority Businesses With Opportunities
Triad Business Journal – September 7, 2018

Recently, Wexford Science & Technology and the Innovation Quarter announced that they will award $200,000 and office space in the Bailey Power Plant to a local nonprofit to support minority and women-owned businesses in Winston-Salem.

“Our mayor and city council has place a high premium and priority on focusing on the development of women- and minority-owned businesses. It’s a demographic that we as an organization have been very much supportive of,” said advisory council member Evan Raleigh.

The council has received proposals from various organizations and Raleigh hopes an announcement will be made in the next few weeks.

Raleigh said he envisions “a place where businesses can come and have any of their resource needs met — whether that be mentorship, whether it be a source where they can make connections to other resources in the community, a central gathering space for businesses in that community — to some extent a home base.”"

"Front Street Capital Plans Nearly 100K Square Feet of Retail, Office at Innovation Quarter
Triad Business Journal – June 6, 2018

Front Street Capital is planning to make the final two pieces of Winston-Salem’s former Bailey Power Plant — two old, forgettable structures — into showpieces that could add almost 100,000 square feet of retail, restaurants and offices at Wake Forest Innovation Quarter.

Two buildings remaining from the coal-fired plant that had powered R.J. Reynolds Tobacco’s vast complexes are now poised to deliver energy of another kind in the center city through defining features such as rooftop terraces, an elevated, restored rail line and an outdoor entertainment venue in the former coal pit."

Etc., etc., etc. And those are just articles from TBJ about the Innovation Quarter. Much more in there other aspects of W-S, and much more in other media too. But I'm sure they'll never be enough to change some people's perceptions. SMH
Oddly, this seems to mean a lot to you. Have a nice night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 11:48 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,964,048 times
This has all gone rather left..

Old 05-21-2019, 04:13 AM

275 posts, read 232,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Oddly, this seems to mean a lot to you.
Seems to mean the same to you, lol.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
This has all gone rather left..
??? Its actually been all quite on topic.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:54 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,237,827 times
Quote:
And reasonable, intelligent people seek out and use facts and data to guide, and even change, their perceptions and opinions.

Yes, we agree.

Overly inundated with breathless, overwrought "news", much of the time.
Ok BC1960

Old 05-21-2019, 08:21 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,964,048 times
Quote:
??? Its actually been all quite on topic.
talking about ya'll arguing back and fourth

Old 05-21-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
talking about ya'll arguing back and fourth
Eh, i wouldn't call it arguing. I'm just providing actual information that shows there is, in fact, positive coverage of W-S in the press, particularly in the TBJ. Information that is certainly pertinent to your original post, and that you should interest you.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:56 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,061,238 times
Quote:
Eh, i wouldn't call it arguing. I'm just providing actual information that shows there is, in fact, positive coverage of W-S in the press, particularly in the TBJ. Information that is certainly pertinent to your original post, and that you should interest you.
Meh, that's not really what you're doing. I discussed coverage on WS compared to Greensboro. Pointing out a few stories about WS is at best only half of the discussion.

Yes, Winston-Salem gets coverage (something I never denied). It's just that I don't perceive there to be the same level of coverage as Greensboro gets over similar stories. I already pointed out that it's possible that my perception is based in part by some of the boards I frequent (which seem to have a Greensboro lean).

My perception may change over time. But quite frankly, it's just a meaningless observation based on my experience so I'm not really sure why it seems to bother you so much. I never presented my observations as fact. I'll continue to be on the lookout for coverage on both cities. I'll continue to spend money in both cities. Outside of that, who really cares? No need to present intellectual insults when you only provide half an argument in the first place.

I intend this to be my last post on this discussion (though I may appear again on this thread should it move forward).

Old 05-21-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Meh, that's not really what you're doing. I discussed coverage on WS compared to Greensboro. Pointing out a few stories about WS is at best only half of the discussion.

Yes, Winston-Salem gets coverage (something I never denied). It's just that I don't perceive there to be the same level of coverage as Greensboro gets over similar stories. I already pointed out that it's possible that my perception is based in part by some of the boards I frequent (which seem to have a Greensboro lean).

My perception may change over time. But quite frankly, it's just a meaningless observation based on my experience so I'm not really sure why it seems to bother you so much. I never presented my observations as fact. I'll continue to be on the lookout for coverage on both cities. I'll continue to spend money in both cities. Outside of that, who really cares? No need to present intellectual insults when you only provide half an argument in the first place.

I intend this to be my last post on this discussion (though I may appear again on this thread should it move forward).
You act as if you are the only other participant on this thread. My my first post on this thread (and my post to which you are replying to now) weren't even addressed to you. And I love how you proclaim the basic premise of this thread is of so little consequence and importance to you, yet you continue to interject yourself into it and have now posted 7 times! Does not compute.

You said, in response to the OP's now disproved claim that the TBJ "never" reports on positive W-S developments, that you "agree". And you said "The Innovation Quarter is one example of something that just isn't covered." You can attempt to walk that back, but its all right there in black and white. Not sure why you are getting all bent out of shape about my pointing out that it is not true and providing solid evidence of that fact. I guess I hurt your feelings. Oh well.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:02 PM

121 posts, read 159,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Ok BC1960
Haha! I was thinking the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point