Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 10:53 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,962,062 times

Advertisements

I'm serious, i'm not just talking about on our forum..

I'm talking about local news & media outlets, fox8, wxi12 etc, you only really hear about Greensboro, and i cannot be the only that notices this. If it's happening here, the news is imediately on it.

It's been like this for several years, because i know damn well there is developments going completely uncovered in W.S, because i see it when i visit family there, or shop around there.

AND Honestly i think the triad buisness journal is extremely biased, i know they're based in Greensboro, however in my opinion they never report Winston Salem developments unless it's negative, like the BB&T situation, they covered every inch but of that story but never report on how good the innovation quater is performing or how the city is reshaping the biotech future with hundreds of opprertunities.

As a past resident of W.S this really pisses me off, it's like Winston is being pushed under a cover while the local outlets and media only shine a very bright spot light on Greensboro.

And like i said, i cannot be the only one that notices this.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 11:07 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,058,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post

I'm talking about local news & media outlets, fox8, wxi12 etc, you only really hear about Greensboro, and i cannot be the only that notices this. If it's happening here, the news is imediately on it.

It's been like this for several years, because i know damn well there is developments going completely uncovered in W.S, because i see it when i visit family there, or shop around there.

AND Honestly i think the triad buisness journal is extremely biased, i know they're based in Greensboro, however in my opinion they never report Winston Salem developments unless it's negative, like the BB&T situation, they covered every inch but of that story but never report on how good the innovation quater is performing or how the city is reshaping the biotech future with hundreds of opprertunities.

As a past resident of W.S this really pisses me off, it's like Winston is being pushed under a cover while the local outlets and media only shine a very bright spot light on Greensboro.

And like i said, i cannot be the only one that notices this.

Thoughts?
Agreed... because it's not necessarily that there's a lack of news to report. I've gone to Winston-Salem several times recently, seen something new and wondered "when did that happen?". The Innovation Quarter is one example of something that just isn't covered. The potential is there for that to be a home run, not just for jobs but also for living, retail, and pleasure (bars/restaurants/breweries).

Old 05-19-2019, 11:36 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
Thoughts?
Don't confuse press releases with news.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Don't confuse press releases with news.
Exactly. Simply making a press release available is far different than a comprehensive news story. For instance, the HUGE apartment development in (or by) the IQ... I've barely heard a peep out of it. Meanwhile, there's a TON of coverage out there on Project Slugger and now I've seen multiple stories of the 5 story mixed use building between downtown and midtown for Greensboro.

And I'm not saying that there's ZERO coverage on W-S. But nowhere near the level of Greensboro. You had to dig back to 2017 just to come up with four news stories. I've probably seen that as many or more stories on Project Slugger, which hasn't even started construction yet.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:50 PM

275 posts, read 232,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Exactly. Simply making a press release available is far different than a comprehensive news story. For instance, the HUGE apartment development in (or by) the IQ... I've barely heard a peep out of it. Meanwhile, there's a TON of coverage out there on Project Slugger and now I've seen multiple stories of the 5 story mixed use building between downtown and midtown for Greensboro.

And I'm not saying that there's ZERO coverage on W-S. But nowhere near the level of Greensboro. You had to dig back to 2017 just to come up with four news stories. I've probably seen that as many or more stories on Project Slugger, which hasn't even started construction yet.
I didn't have to "dig back" for anything...I did a 3 second google search and those popped up. I'm sure if I actually bothered to "dig" I'd find lots more, as would you and the OP. Your supposition is silly and irrational.

Edit: I just did a search on WXII's website for "Slugger"...nothing about Project Slugger in G'boro came up. Why do they hate G'boro? LOL

Old 05-19-2019, 02:56 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Winston Salem is the Triangle's Durham. I lived many years in Durham and felt the same occurred there versus Raleigh happenings, and probably still does despite Durham's massive revitalization the past 10-15 years. I would blame it partially on the the town-gown situation which both share with a somewhat standoffish private university not very well-integrated into the community like NCSU in Raleigh and UNCG in Greensboro for example.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:55 PM

275 posts, read 232,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Winston Salem is the Triangle's Durham. I lived many years in Durham and felt the same occurred there versus Raleigh happenings, and probably still does despite Durham's massive revitalization the past 10-15 years. I would blame it partially on the the town-gown situation which both share with a somewhat standoffish private university not very well-integrated into the community like NCSU in Raleigh and UNCG in Greensboro for example.
High Point is the Triad's "Durham", not W-S.

Old 05-19-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John NC View Post
I didn't have to "dig back" for anything...I did a 3 second google search and those popped up. I'm sure if I actually bothered to "dig" I'd find lots more, as would you and the OP. Your supposition is silly and irrational.

Edit: I just did a search on WXII's website for "Slugger"...nothing about Project Slugger in G'boro came up. Why do they hate G'boro? LOL
Well, it's just a perception I (and apparently others) have. Not saying the news hates WS, though WXII being based in WS does mean they'll be more likely to have stories from WS. I see Project Slugger all over. Not so much IQ. Living in High Point, I don't have a dog in the fight.

That said, I also probably hear more Greensboro because of the posters on this board and Urban Planet.

Old 05-19-2019, 04:21 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,962,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post

This is exactly what i mean.

And that development in winston is beautiful!

Anyway, right now there is a completely new structure up near the IQ, but the media rather blast a 5 story building that's not even built yet smh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point