Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 03:34 PM

275 posts, read 232,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
OK, furniture isn't as big in HP anymore but it's still largely a blue-collar city. I'm aware of some things HPU has done, but it's not Duke and hasn't had anywhere close to the impact that Duke has had on Durham.
Again, I disagree. On a relative scale HPU has had almost as much impact on its city as Duke. Duke is bigger, but so is Durham.

Quote:
I can agree with that. Still, Durham has more of a "tale of two cities" thing going on compared to High Point.
Durham is definitely still struggling to shed its past image, and with good reason. It still has a long way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 04:03 PM

185 posts, read 127,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John NC View Post
Again, I disagree. On a relative scale HPU has had almost as much impact on its city as Duke. Duke is bigger, but so is Durham.

Durham is definitely still struggling to shed its past image, and with good reason. It still has a long way to go.
How is Durham struggling to shed its past image? It's growing faster in population than Greensboro, Winston Salem, High Point and you can throw Portsmouth Va. in there, also. I would argue it has the best downtown than the places just mentioned. Durham built a ballpark downtown 25 years ago, these other cities then did the same. Durham built DPAC downtown over 10 years ago, now Greensboro is doing the same. Don't you think the success of DPAC, which is ranked one of the most successful Performing Arts Centers in the nation, has something to do with Greensboro now building one, also? Downtown Durham at this moment has more people living downtown than Greensboro and Winston-Salem, I'm sure they're trying to play catch up now. lol
Durham is doing just fine with its image(i.e. 4th largest city in NC) and if trends continue it will become the third largest city in this state behind Charlotte and Raleigh.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackro70 View Post
How is Durham struggling to shed its past image?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ways-like.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...stabbings.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ay-bullet.html
https://www.wral.com/residents-quest...mes-/16778473/

Old 05-28-2019, 04:38 PM

Okay, these message board posts and few news stories might stop you and a few people from moving to Durham, but thousands more move to Durham every year. So, I guess Greensboro, Winston-Salem and High Point need to work on their images, also? Because Durham is outgrowing all of these cities.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Okay, these message board posts and few news stories might stop you and a few people from moving to Durham, but thousands more move to Durham every year. So, I guess Greensboro, Winston-Salem and High Point need to work on their images, also? Because Durham is outgrowing all of these cities.
Well of course image doesn't equal growth rates. Durham is growing in spite of its real problems and image issues...RTP and Raleigh can be thanked for that. Jobs are the key to growth, as everyone knows, and Durham is the fortunate recipient of that job growth, not the driver of it.

Last edited by Big John NC; 05-28-2019 at 05:13 PM..

Old 05-28-2019, 05:46 PM

37,898 posts, read 42,033,653 times
Quote:
The impact simply isn't qualitatively the same; it has nothing to do with differences of scale. Duke is a private top-tier research institution with an endowment that's several times larger than HPU's, a small private liberal arts university. Duke's impact on Durham has had a much more pronounced economic effect on Durham than HPU could ever hope to have on High Point, both proportionately and in raw numbers.

Quote:
As rapidly as Durham is gentrifying, it won't be too much longer until it's a much safer city. But reputations can still be hard to shake.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Well of course image doesn't equal growth rates. Durham is growing in spite of its real problems and image issues...RTP and Raleigh can be thanked for that. Jobs are the key to growth, as everyone knows, and Durham is the fortunate recipient of that job growth, not the driver of it.
I hope you know most of RTP is in Durham county. Therefore, Durham is an integral part of the Triangle's success and it would not be as vibrant and growing without Durham. Duke and NCCU provide an educated workforce that helps fuel the area's growth. The triangle is known for healthcare mainly because of Duke and UNC. Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill all are vital in the area's success, without anyone of these cities and their universities the Triangle would not be the same. So, just as Durham needs RTP and Raleigh, RTP and Raleigh need Durham and Chapel Hill. And if you do not know that, you're not from this area and I'm wasting my time.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
The impact simply isn't qualitatively the same; it has nothing to do with differences of scale. Duke is a private top-tier research institution with an endowment that's several times larger than HPU's, a small private liberal arts university. Duke's impact on Durham has had a much more pronounced economic effect on Durham than HPU could ever hope to have on High Point, both proportionately and in raw numbers.
Thats absurd, of course it has to do with scale. Its like saying a new company employing 100 people doesn't have the same impact on a city of 10,000 people as a new company employing 1,000 in a city of 100,000 people.

Quote:
As rapidly as Durham is gentrifying, it won't be too much longer until it's a much safer city. But reputations can still be hard to shake.
Maybe, I guess we'll see. Durham still has a long way to go, objectively and reputationally.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I hope you know most of RTP is in Durham county. Therefore, Durham is an integral part of the Triangle's success and it would not be as vibrant and growing without Durham. Duke and NCCU provide an educated workforce that helps fuel the area's growth. The triangle is known for healthcare mainly because of Duke and UNC. Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill all are vital in the area's success, without anyone of these cities and their universities the Triangle would not be the same. So, just as Durham needs RTP and Raleigh, RTP and Raleigh need Durham and Chapel Hill. And if you do not know that, you're not from this area and I'm wasting my time.
I do know that. But that has nothing to do with the city of Durham. RTP's success has been in spite of Durham, not because of it. That proven by the growth patterns of the Triangle. Its only been in the last 15 to 20 years that Durham has begun to grow and gentrify, and thats only because of rising land prices in the more desirable areas of the Triangle that has forced growth into Durham.

I'm an NC native and obviously know more about the history of RTP and the Triangle than you do.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I do know that. But that has nothing to do with the city of Durham.

I'm an NC native and obviously now more about the history of RTP and the Triangle than you do.
Says who? I'm also a NC native and have lived in the Triangle almost 50 years. I've seen RTP grow from just IBM and Burroughs Welcome to what it is today. I was here before I-40 existed between Durham and Raleigh and US 70 was the only major route between the two cities. So, you do not know more than me. Like I said, without Durham there is no RTP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point