Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 05:24 PM

275 posts, read 232,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Maybe 25+ years ago, you could have an argument here. Nowadays, Durham is beginning to boom. Durham will soon be the 3rd largest city in the state (jumping Greensboro). That isn't everything... but no... Durham isn't really a comparison to High Point in any capacity.
I disagree, lots of valid comparisons.

Quote:
High Point reminds me more of an equivalent to Portsmouth in Hampton Roads, VA. Kind of the red-headed step child. Not a whole lot going on overall (though High Point is starting to get some momentum).
Yep, Portsmouth, High Point and Durham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 07:54 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,963,796 times
Quote:
Maybe 25+ years ago, you could have an argument here. Nowadays, Durham is beginning to boom. Durham will soon be the 3rd largest city in the state (jumping Greensboro). That isn't everything... but no... Durham isn't really a comparison to High Point in any capacity.

High Point reminds me more of an equivalent to Portsmouth in Hampton Roads, VA. Kind of the red-headed step child. Not a whole lot going on overall (though High Point is starting to get some momentum).
Honestly, i really don't think this is going to happen anymore. Based on recent growth rates and estimates.

But Durham passing greensboro seemed to be the hot topic back in 2015.

But last i checked, Durham was 263.016 as of 2019, But Greensboro is over 300.000 as of 2019 and estimated to hit record growth in 2020+.

Infact, bringing in actual data, this website about US Populations was pretty damn near spot on with their 2019 estimate.

But last i heard, it was 303.144k as of april 2019.

Last edited by YinXyang; 05-27-2019 at 08:13 PM..

Old 05-28-2019, 09:03 AM

511 posts, read 512,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John NC View Post
Well looky here, another positive article about W-S in the TBJ!

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...tWR04ifQ%3D%3D

Considering this never happens, its sure does happen a lot!
But this is boring news.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
But this is boring news.
Investor confidence in downtown W-S is most certainly not boring! At not to those who understand real estate markets.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:22 PM

37,898 posts, read 42,027,746 times
Quote:
At first I had no idea what you guys were talking about. I guess you're referring to someone who used to post on here? If I did this right, I searched for that username and read some of that person's old posts...very impressive I must say! If you guys think I am that poster, I consider that a high honor indeed. But I'm not sure how someone could switch usernames, I didn't think that was possible?
Please stop. People aren't stupid.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Please stop. People aren't stupid.
I strongly disagree, lol. Anyway, why anyone would care about someone's identity on here, or whether they used to post under another name, or have been banned, or have 2 left feet, is all way beyond me. Who gives a flip?

Old 05-28-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Well, successful or not, it still has a negative imagine compared to its 2 primary neighbors. But putting that aside, Durham and HP have a lot of historical similarities and for many decades occupied the same position relative to the other cities in its metro. Most long time NC residents understand that.
Sounds like the comparison really starts and ends with the negative image/crime stigma. Otherwise, I'm not seeing it. High Point's bread and butter is still largely the furniture industry whereas Durham long ago stopped being dependent on its legacy industry, tobacco. The biggest difference is that High Point has nothing like Duke to bolster its fortunes.

When you say "occupied the same position relative to other cities in its metro," are you talking about population, reputation, etc.?

Old 05-28-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Sounds like the comparison really starts and ends with the negative image/crime stigma. Otherwise, I'm not seeing it. High Point's bread and butter is still largely the furniture industry whereas Durham long ago stopped being dependent on its legacy industry, tobacco. The biggest difference is that High Point has nothing like Duke to bolster its fortunes.

When you say "occupied the same position relative to other cities in its metro," are you talking about population, reputation, etc.?
Quite wrong. The furniture industry is mostly gone from HP, especially on the manufacturing side. And the furniture market itself now only lasts 4 days, as opposed to 2 weeks in years past. HP has developed a nascent biotech industry, and a lot of distribution centers. And HP University has had a huge impact on the city. It has grown dramatically, built several new buildings and purchased a failing mall.

Reputation, primarily, in answer to your question.

Last edited by Big John NC; 05-28-2019 at 03:19 PM..

Old 05-28-2019, 02:57 PM

185 posts, read 127,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
Honestly, i really don't think this is going to happen anymore. Based on recent growth rates and estimates.

But Durham passing greensboro seemed to be the hot topic back in 2015.

But last i checked, Durham was 263.016 as of 2019, But Greensboro is over 300.000 as of 2019 and estimated to hit record growth in 2020+.

Infact, bringing in actual data, this website about US Populations was pretty damn near spot on with their 2019 estimate.

But last i heard, it was 303.144k as of april 2019.
This data is incorrect. According to the 2018 US census estimates, the population of Greensboro is 294,722 and the population of Durham is 274,291. Approx. ~20,000 difference in population and that number has been decreasing every year. I'm not saying Durham will catch Greensboro in the next 5 years, but if this trend continues Durham will eventually become the third largest city in the state. From 2017-2018 more people moved to Durham than Raleigh. You can see these numbers by going US Census bureau and clicking the Population Estimates link.

Old 05-28-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Quite wrong. The furniture industry is mostly gone from HP, especially on the manufacturing side. And the furniture market itself now only lasts 4 days, as opposed to 2 weeks in years past. HP has developed a nascent biotech industry, and a lot of distribution centers. And HP University has had a huge impact on the city. It has grown dramatically, built several new buildings and purchased a failing mall.
OK, furniture isn't as big in HP anymore but it's still largely a blue-collar city. I'm aware of some things HPU has done, but it's not Duke and hasn't had anywhere close to the impact that Duke has had on Durham.

Quote:
Reputation, primarily, in answer to your question.
I can agree with that. Still, Durham has more of a "tale of two cities" thing going on compared to High Point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point