Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 12:26 PM

851 posts, read 416,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
I'm one of those people who likes to base my opinions on, you know, actual information. Thus my initial question. I'll hold my opinions until I know what is actually going to happen. I guess its fun to just spout off and jump up and down and attack people but its not my style.

So again, can you provide any actual information regarding this plan and what the city is going to spend? Thanks.
Then what's your opinion of the information we have? Speculation, conjecture and opinion are obviously integral parts of this forum. Haven't you speculated that North Carolina will lose commerce and population, but it will take "a long time", even without any corroborating facts or data? This isn't waiting until you know what's "actually going to happen", is it?

Last edited by TunedIn; 08-06-2023 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I'm one of those people who likes to base my opinions on, you know, actual information. Thus my initial question. I'll hold my opinions until I know what is actually going to happen. I guess its fun to just spout off and jump up and down and attack people but its not my style.

So again, can you provide any actual information regarding this plan and what the city is going to spend? Thanks.
You've done nothing here yet BUT attack people. Enough information has been released to have an opinion in the abstract. Mine is clear. What's yours? If you don't have one, what's left for you to say?

Old 08-06-2023, 01:23 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
Then what's your opinion of the information we have? Speculation and opinion are obviously an integral part of this forum. Haven't you speculated that North Carolina will lose commerce and population, but it will take "a long time", even without any corroborating facts or data? This isn't waiting until you know what's "actually going to happen", is it?
What information do we have?

From what you posted, its not even clear who is making the "significant investment".

Old 08-06-2023, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
What information do we have?

From what you posted, its not even clear who is making the "significant investment".
Well common sense tells us that if it isn't direct taxpayer investment, then the "guide" will be overly generous taxpayer subsidies to private entities. I don't think this one takes a crystal ball. What's your opinion as a taxpayer? Mine is money down a rathole. If you'd like to wait until it plays out before commenting, you can always come back. We'll leave a light on.

Old 08-06-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Well common sense tells us that if it isn't direct taxpayer investment, then the "guide" will be overly generous taxpayer subsidies to private entities. I don't think this one takes a crystal ball. What's your opinion as a taxpayer? Mine is money down a rathole. If you'd like to wait until it plays out before commenting, you can always come back. We'll leave a light on.
Could subsidies be involved? Sure. Will they be? Well, without having as much as a clue as to what "investment" is going to take place it's hard to say. If subsidies are used, we have no idea in what capacity they will be used.

This whole thing is a nothing-burger until we know... amything. Arguing about it is simply arguing for argument's sake.

And I'm not completely against subsidies. The issue is more that they're heavily overused.

Old 08-06-2023, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Could subsidies be involved? Sure. Will they be? Well, without having as much as a clue as to what "investment" is going to take place it's hard to say. If subsidies are used, we have no idea in what capacity they will be used.

This whole thing is a nothing-burger until we know... amything. Arguing about it is simply arguing for argument's sake.

And I'm not completely against subsidies. The issue is more that they're heavily overused.
I started a thread offering an opinion and speculation, and it certainly doesn't strain credibility. Nobody without an idea of their own needs to show up and argue. No law against not having an opinion, but why show up in a thread for the sole purpose of announcing it? And seriously, the demise of North Carolina has been predicted on less.

Last edited by TunedIn; 08-06-2023 at 02:44 PM..

Old 08-06-2023, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I started a thread offering an opinion and speculation, and it certainly doesn't strain credibility. Nobody without an idea of their own needs to show up and argue. No law against not having an opinion, but why show up in a thread for the sole purpose of announcing it? And seriously, the demise of North Carolina has been predicted on less.
You used a very general quote to make a new thread to crap on Greensboro leadership.

Why make a thread based on nothing new Mr. Boston? Or Baba Boey?

Old 08-06-2023, 02:53 PM

Quote:
You used a very general quote to make a new thread to crap on Greensboro leadership.

Why make a thread based on nothing new Mr. Boston? Or Baba Boey?
Yet here you are. In the new thread. Whining. Without an opinion.

Old 08-06-2023, 07:36 PM

377 posts, read 203,632 times
Quote:
Sorry, who is "we"? What amount of "massive tax dollars" are being proposed to be spent on what? Links and data, please. The other guy didn't have any, so I'm hoping you maybe know what you're talking about? Thanks.
No need to apologize.

"The historic names of "High Point Road" and "Lee Street" were dumped in favor of Gate City Boulevard. Why? Nobody knows. It is a mystery, according to Zack Matheny, GSO City Council member. It just happened. It is a mystery, and we are still investigating. In the meantime, we intend to spend massive tax dollars in that area, because we want to".

Ask Zack Matheny who wants to spend massive tax dollars in that area. And, why does he want to do that?

Old 08-06-2023, 07:46 PM

377 posts, read 203,632 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for attempting to clarify. My question to Mr. Big was who is "we"? Are you suggesting "we" means city leaders? Is Mr. Big a city leader in Greensboro? Since he apparently lives in Raleigh that seems odd. I still haven't seen any evidence of any city spending on anything related to this planning document. Thanks.
Again, no need to thank anybody or apologize. It's starting to become embarrassing.

No, Mr. Big is not a city leader in Greensboro, although I like Greensboro very much. Pleas refer your questions to Zack Matheny, the person leading the investigation into the secret renaming of Lee Street-High Point Road. And the person who wants to spend massive tax dollars in East Greensboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point