Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 10:01 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,058,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Yup. As much as I despise this platitude, “it is what it is.”

I also like the base hits analogy. Gonna have to use that! I’ll give you credit lol
Honestly nothing drove home that base hit analogy than my recent visit to Raleigh. I was returning after visiting there few months ago, and comparing the Cap city’s new construction rate, frequency to Greensboro is really like day and night. In just two months, several construction projects I noticed that were halfway done or in the initial stages were completed or nearly complete. Raleigh — and Charlotte — seemingly throws up commercial and residential in a few months at a dizzying pace whereas Greensboro takes a decade to build (ANOTHER) downtown parking deck… as well as whatever else new that crops up. It’s sobering, but underscores your base hit comment. When you’re used to a bigger city pace (overall pace including the pace of construction projects), it’s just sobering to see things take so long to materialize comparatively speaking.

It’s really an unfair comparison, but unfortunately — or fortunately — Charlotte and Raleigh will come up in comparisons as the gold standards. Even Mayor Vaughn ridiculously references those cities in trying the justify the food tax. The sooner we all can embrace Greensboro “is what it is” and embrace whatever emerging identity it’s forming (which is still very much being formed), the better off all of us as residents will be.
Yes, keeping up with the joneses in all respects (including taxation) is a way to keep Greensboro behind. The base hits analogy is good and has been used in many other threads.

I'm still struggling to find any point or purpose to this thread though. Best I can tell, the OP was looking for any flimsy way to communicate a message he has communicated 1000 times on this board already. I havent seen anything about "East Gate City Boulevard" or a concrete plan with which we can discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 10:22 AM

927 posts, read 753,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
This is your 11th post in a thread that you have "no opinion" about.
So what? Your fixation on my opinions is really weird. If its an issue for you, then stop demanding to know what my opinion is.

My purpose in entering this thread was to attempt to get some information to validate the wild claims being made by you and your compatriot. Silly me. Neither of you actually know anything about the issue.

Its funny how some people lose their minds when asked to explain anything they say. smh

Last edited by Owen Wister; 08-07-2023 at 10:46 AM..

Old 08-07-2023, 10:30 AM

927 posts, read 753,865 times
Quote:
Yes, and in a democracy the chips fall where they may. Greensboro is a 132 square mile post-industrial blue collar city. It can't all be shiny and new. And there's always gonna be have-nots. For the most part, I think city and county leaders are doing a good job, base hits are how ball games are won. Jobs are the key to an improved quality of life for those here who want it. Nothing is easy in this life and nothing is free.
You packed an amazing number of cliches in that one paragraph! Well Done!

Old 08-07-2023, 11:05 AM

171 posts, read 159,250 times
So just confused on why the city reinvesting into itself is bad or am I reading this wrong ?

Old 08-07-2023, 11:13 AM

854 posts, read 419,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Yes, keeping up with the joneses in all respects (including taxation) is a way to keep Greensboro behind. The base hits analogy is good and has been used in many other threads.

I'm still struggling to find any point or purpose to this thread though. Best I can tell, the OP was looking for any flimsy way to communicate a message he has communicated 1000 times on this board already. I havent seen anything about "East Gate City Boulevard" or a concrete plan with which we can discuss.
Well if discussing ideas in the abstract doesn't suit you, why not just pass the thread by? How many more times are you going to say.......that you've got nothing to say?

Old 08-07-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen wister View Post
so what? Your fixation on my opinions is really weird. If its an issue for you, then stop demanding to know what my opinion is.

My purpose in entering this thread was to attempt to get some information to validate the wild claims being made by you and your compatriot. Silly me. Neither of you actually know anything about the issue.

Its funny how some people lose their minds when asked to explain anything they say. Smh

Old 08-07-2023, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen wister View Post
you packed an amazing number of cliches in that one paragraph! Well done!

Old 08-07-2023, 11:26 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,058,104 times
Quote:
Well if discussing ideas in the abstract doesn't suit you, why not just pass the thread by? How many more times are you going to say.......that you've got nothing to say?
I asked a question about what information we actually have. Now you twist it to "discussing ideas in the abstract". LOL. You're not even hiding that youre just trolling.

Back to the ignore list you go. Not that you won't make another user name to stir the pot.

Old 08-07-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv2015 View Post
So just confused on why the city reinvesting into itself is bad or am I reading this wrong ?
Taxpayer dollars are (ideally) a finite commodity. You're entitled to your own opinion on where they should be spent.

Old 08-07-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
I asked a question about what information we actually have. Now you twist it to "discussing ideas in the abstract". LOL. You're not even hiding that youre just trolling.

Back to the ignore list you go.
Thank you and goodbye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point