Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 06:01 AM

927 posts, read 756,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
Again, no need to thank anybody or apologize. It's starting to become embarrassing.

No, Mr. Big is not a city leader in Greensboro, although I like Greensboro very much. Pleas refer your questions to Zack Matheny, the person leading the investigation into the secret renaming of Lee Street-High Point Road. And the person who wants to spend massive tax dollars in East Greensboro.
I'm asking you. YOU are the one who stated "massive tax Dollars" would be spent. So explain your statement. What tax dollars? Spent on what? When? I mean, you DO know what you're talking about right? Or are you just making stuff up in order to argue on the internet? I'm betting on the latter. Talk about embarrassing for you, lol.

And you aren't part of the "we" doing anything in G'boro, so your "opinion" is worthless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 06:03 AM

927 posts, read 756,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
Then what's your opinion of the information we have? Speculation, conjecture and opinion are obviously integral parts of this forum. Haven't you speculated that North Carolina will lose commerce and population, but it will take "a long time", even without any corroborating facts or data? This isn't waiting until you know what's "actually going to happen", is it?
I have no opinion yet, due to lack of facts. Why is that so hard for you to understand? Oh I know why, you don't care about facts, you just like to argue, pointlessly and childishly. Go for it!

Old 08-07-2023, 06:40 AM

855 posts, read 421,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
I have no opinion yet, due to lack of facts. Why is that so hard for you to understand? Oh I know why, you don't care about facts, you just like to argue, pointlessly and childishly. Go for it!
This is your 11th post in a thread that you have "no opinion" about.

Old 08-07-2023, 06:58 AM

20 posts, read 8,440 times
Quote:
"City leaders......are anticipating extensive investment along East Gate City Boulevard." Looks like they've found a new black hole to p*ss our money into. Have these people ever met somebody else's hard earned dollar they didn't want to spend.
Tragic! What are you going to do?

Also wth are you talking about? Is it this?

https://www.greensboro-nc.gov/depart...boulevard-plan

Old 08-07-2023, 07:05 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,907,301 times
IF… emphasis on IF anything is in the works to happen over there, it’s just to prep for gentrification. Banking on the back end to pay more dividends than the upfront cost. Playing the long game and hoping a little jump start will better help move things along.

Winston has finally begun its gentrification (non Bowman Gray Stadium related) but the areas are right on the periphery of downtown, which underwent a host of enhancements to eventually spur the gentrification. Now it’s moving a few miles outside of WS downtown’s core.

Greensboro has virtually had zero gentrification (which has honestly been quite refreshing despite the aesthetic drab of Greensboro’s core) and — with the absence of any downtown makeovers and/or outward growth — doesn’t appear to be anywhere close to having gentrification hit anytime soon.

I’ve always said Greensboro was a goldmine and some out town investors would come in, and remake much of the city doing what leadership shoulda been spearheaded… but as y’all reminded me, there’s no interest and that likely won’t happen because there’s NOTHING happening in this large, neglected swath of the city to inspire any curiosity from any outside developers. There’s not even a hint of an egg and the chicken is emaciated.

So it’s gonna take something to generate interest.

Old 08-07-2023, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
IF… emphasis on IF anything is in the works to happen over there, it’s just to prep for gentrification. Banking on the back end to pay more dividends than the upfront cost. Playing the long game and hoping a little jump start will better help move things along.

Winston has finally begun its gentrification (non Bowman Gray Stadium related) but the areas are right on the periphery of downtown, which underwent a host of enhancements to eventually spur the gentrification. Now it’s moving a few miles outside of WS downtown’s core.

Greensboro has virtually had zero gentrification (which has honestly been quite refreshing despite the aesthetic drab of Greensboro’s core) and — with the absence of any downtown makeovers and/or outward growth — doesn’t appear to be anywhere close to having gentrification hit anytime soon.

I’ve always said Greensboro was a goldmine and some out town investors would come in, and remake much of the city doing what leadership shoulda been spearheaded… but as y’all reminded me, there’s no interest and that likely won’t happen because there’s NOTHING happening in this large, neglected swath of the city to inspire any curiosity from any outside developers. There’s not even a hint of an egg and the chicken is emaciated.

So it’s gonna take something to generate interest.
With economic dyanmos to our east and west, Greensboro and Guilford County simply must keep levels of taxation reasonable in order to have any chance of competing. We can't outtax them and we can't outspend them, and this necessarily means choices of focus. Job creation and economic growth must take absolute priority over nebulous and speculative "revitalization". A rising tide really does lift all boats.

Last edited by TunedIn; 08-07-2023 at 07:54 AM..

Old 08-07-2023, 07:40 AM

Quote:
With economic dyanmos to our east and west, Greensboro and Guilford county simply must keep levels of taxation reasonable in order to have any chance of competing. We can't outtax them or outspend them, and this necessarily means choices of focus. Job creation and economic growth must take absolute priority over nebulous and speculative "revitalization". A rising tide really does lift all boats.
I agree, but this is your leadership. Did you vote in the recent local elections?

Old 08-07-2023, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
I agree, but this is your leadership. Did you vote in the recent local elections?
Yes, and in a democracy the chips fall where they may. Greensboro is a 132 square mile post-industrial blue collar city. It can't all be shiny and new. And there's always gonna be have-nots. For the most part, I think city and county leaders are doing a good job, base hits are how ball games are won. Jobs are the key to an improved quality of life for those here who want it. Nothing is easy in this life and nothing is free.

Old 08-07-2023, 08:41 AM

And this is where crime comes back to bite us in the butt. Neglected swaths are one thing, but no outside investor whatsoever is going to risk his dough in dangerous neglected swaths. And it's the problem with the "it's only in certain areas" mentality. 2023 homicide totals in Greensboro have already exceeded the entire sum of 2022, and it'd be extremely naive not to understand the pernicious effects of this on our marketability.

Last edited by TunedIn; 08-07-2023 at 09:21 AM..

Old 08-07-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Yes, and in a democracy the chips fall where they may. Greensboro is a 132 square mile post-industrial blue collar city. It can't all be shiny and new…base hits are how ball games are won. Jobs are the key to an improved quality of life for those here who want it…
Yup. As much as I despise this platitude, “it is what it is.”

I also like the base hits analogy. Gonna have to use that! I’ll give you credit lol
Honestly nothing drove home that base hit analogy than my recent visit to Raleigh. I was returning after visiting there few months ago, and comparing the Cap city’s new construction rate, frequency to Greensboro is really like day and night. In just two months, several construction projects I noticed that were halfway done or in the initial stages were completed or nearly complete. Raleigh — and Charlotte — seemingly throws up commercial and residential in a few months at a dizzying pace whereas Greensboro takes a decade to build (ANOTHER) downtown parking deck… as well as whatever else new that crops up. It’s sobering, but underscores your base hit comment. When you’re used to a bigger city pace (overall pace including the pace of construction projects), it’s just sobering to see things take so long to materialize comparatively speaking.

It’s really an unfair comparison, but unfortunately — or fortunately — Charlotte and Raleigh will come up in comparisons as the gold standards. Even Mayor Vaughn ridiculously references those cities in trying the justify the food tax. The sooner we all can embrace Greensboro “is what it is” and embrace whatever emerging identity it’s forming (which is still very much being formed), the better off all of us as residents will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point