Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 11:42 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,649,354 times

Advertisements

I think the billboards do one important thing. The put a "face" on the gay community. And they look just like anyone else.

Let's see how far we have come. I grew up during the times when you married in your own race, religion, neighborhood, ethnic background, and economic status. We have come a long way. Just not far enough.

If two people love one another and want to spend their lives together, there should be no issue. Civil marriages between people of the same sex should be allowed. As far as religious marriages, I think that it would have to go by the rules of any religion. They have the right to marry or not marry anyone based on the tenants of their beliefs.
For instance, I am a Catholic as are my children. My daughter married a Jew. They were not allowed to marry in the Catholic Church unless my son-in-law agreed to raise any children they have as Catholics. They were married by a rabbi and non-denominational minister. They want to expose their children to both religions. But that is the church rule so that's how it is.

Another issue goes to the heart of the fact that a same-sex couple not married enjoy no benefits that apply to spouses only. Tax wise you are better off married. Insurance coverage is another issue. Married people get a lot of perks. And let's say your partner has a health issue. Only spouses or next of kin can make any decisions. Not really fair at all.

And to the what children are taught in schools issue, I did not want my children taught anything at all in school about sex, realtionships, marriage et al. That was up to me and their father. School is for learning reading, science, math and all the subjects needed for an education. Not personal issues. My kids went to a Catholic school and many times in my opinion the line was crossed from teaching basic religion and talking family issues. That was my job.

In this country there is suppose to be a separation of church and state. I prefer it that way. I don't want my religion dictating it's views on any laws and I don't want laws passed telling me what I can and can't do in my religion. It's time to get over it and accept. And then we won't need billboards to show us we all are just people.

Someday, and I hope I am around to see it, we will see an end to biogtry. So many thing have changed for the better but we need to work on the "live and let live" part. Gays are people too. And should have the same rights as the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 02:48 AM

23 posts, read 42,982 times
Leviticus 20:13

13If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Romans 1:22-27;32

22Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
23And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
24Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
25Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
26For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 27And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. (AIDS)
32Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:10 PM

273 posts, read 951,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo282271 View Post

13If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

23And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
24Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
25Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
26For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 27And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. (AIDS)
32Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
Got to love the true Christian values shining through.

I think it's an abomination that you're still quoting scriptures that have no bearing on your own life. If you believe those scriptures, then don't be gay. If you are trying to convert someone who is gay to becoming a Christian, what a great ice breaker, "become a Christian and you'll be put to death". If you just want to tell them to go to hell, tell them, I'm sure they'll gladly follow you. People complain about how radical Muslims are with their religion and practices, but Christians have to deal with the same kind of radical hatred within their own religion. Do you really believe that ALL gays should be put do death because the Bible says? This is exactly why religion should be kept of government, look where Iran/Israel are, cause it's working so well for them.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:49 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,685,438 times
Exclamation Yet Another 'I Don't Live There, But'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwebb81 View Post
Got to love the true Christian values shining through.

I think it's an abomination that you're still quoting scriptures that have no bearing on your own life. If you believe those scriptures, then don't be gay. If you are trying to convert someone who is gay to becoming a Christian, what a great ice breaker, "become a Christian and you'll be put to death". If you just want to tell them to go to hell, tell them, I'm sure they'll gladly follow you. People complain about how radical Muslims are with their religion and practices, but Christians have to deal with the same kind of radical hatred within their own religion. Do you really believe that ALL gays should be put do death because the Bible says? This is exactly why religion should be kept of government, look where Iran/Israel are, cause it's working so well for them.
I couldn't pass up both complimenting you on your well-said post, and adding a line or two of my own...

See, this is the problem I have some of the time with Christianity...I know quite a few Christians who go about their 'walk' peacefully and without rancor...they have NEVER ONCE in all my years of knowing them, pressured me about being saved, going to church, or uttered something absurd to me like 'you're going to hell if you don't love the Dallas Cowboys' or 'you're going to hell if you wear white after Labor Day'...

I said this once before recently in another thread, and I'll repeat it here because I think it applies---I have had a lifelong problem with people who are not either PAID to tell me what to do, or by birthright can tell me what to do (see under my late parents) trying to tell me what to do...in other words, if I am going to come to God, so to speak, I will do it on my terms, in my own time, of my own free will...not because you're standing in my face, pounding your Bible, calling me a heathen, just because I don't want to hear your ceaseless blathering about how I and a lot of others should live our lives YOUR way...

The poster you quoted can boldface Scripture until ink runs from his ears, and cows learn to do the Macrena, but the bottom line is this---just because YOU think something is 'wrong', doesn't mean that EVERYONE ELSE shares your opinion, no matter how loud you shout and demonize

Old 02-21-2010, 03:25 PM

23 posts, read 42,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
but the bottom line is this---just because YOU think something is 'wrong', doesn't mean that EVERYONE ELSE shares your opinion, no matter how loud you shout and demonize
This isn't my opinion, it's the truth.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:41 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,685,438 times
Exclamation And You Just Underscored My Point

Quote:
This isn't my opinion, it's the truth.
The truth as YOU see it, not as EVERYONE ELSE sees it, or has a right to express themselves about...

I'm sorry, but all your jumping up and down bellowing about what 'God is gonna do to 'que**s' and how nice this country was 60 years ago when 'they' stayed in the closet, is so much bulldirkey, and your wanting to line up and tell everybody else how to worship, how to live their lives, what to do, etc based on YOUR standards is Bulldirkey--The Sequel...

People are going to live their lives the way they see fit...and that includes gay, straight, Christian, non-Christian, Democrat, Republican, conservative, liberal...the list goes on...if you don't want to see the 'disgusting behavior at the Pride Parades' then take the path of least resistance and DON'T LOOK AT OR ATTEND THEM!! Simple as that...

I'm not gay...I'm a happily married heterosexual straight guy, have no inclination or desire to BE gay...I'm just 'popping off' in this particular thread because people who try to make everyone else live by their rules, or slapping labels on folks just because they dare to be different, makes my blood boil to a dangerous level

Last edited by captaincatfish; 02-21-2010 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: Wasn't quite finished yet...

Old 02-21-2010, 05:01 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,438,623 times
Quote:

Blah, blah, blah. Whatever. I am not narrow-minded enough to let religion dictate my life. I can think for myself and make my own decisions and judgments. I don't need someone else or some book to do it for me. I choose to believe that everyone should be treated equally and have the opportunity to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, no matter WHO it's with.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:54 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,168,550 times
Quote:
yeah and isn't it funny that since we started "accepting" que*rs they have only tried to force their agenda down our throats and they engage in the most disgusting behavior at these pride parades. It's funny but 60 years ago when they all stayed in the closet we were a much better country!
Gotta agree with my man on this one. Yep, 60 years ago was great, wasn't it? Colored folks knew their place, the women stayed home and raised babies, there was no evil rock and roll music, and old white men ruled the country just like God meant it to be. And if anyone was gay they'd probably be killed and no one would even care. Ahhh, great times...

Old 02-22-2010, 07:45 AM

254 posts, read 926,485 times
This one's still going?
Here is something that many of you should try to understand, because it applies not just in this case but in many others where the worlds of religion and public policy overlap.
In the US, if there is a discrepancy between what is dictated by state/federal law and by your religion, then law ALWAYS takes precedence. Law may not abridge the free exercise of one's religion, but your right to that free exercise ends at others' right to the freedom FROM your beliefs. This is particularly problematic for many people who consider themselves to be religious. In their minds, there is no priority more important than abiding by "God's Law" (whatever they conceive that to be), so it's difficult for them to reconcile the fact that, in the US, there is a law that is farther up the hierarchy.
Whatever you believe your religion demands of you, if you choose to live in the US, then you must abide by American law and accept the fact that the rules established by your religion are secondary to those established by the States, legislators and the Constitution.
If you find this situation unacceptable, then there are numerous countries around the world where this is not the case and you may be more than welcome to relocate to one more suitable. I hear Iran is beautiful this time of year.

Last edited by cohaagen; 02-22-2010 at 07:55 AM..

Old 02-22-2010, 01:35 PM

628 posts, read 2,072,529 times
Quote:
yeah and isn't it funny that since we started "accepting" que*rs they have only tried to force their agenda down our throats and they engage in the most disgusting behavior at these pride parades. It's funny but 60 years ago when they all stayed in the closet we were a much better country! But I don't care what your opinion is, one of these days your gonna get a chance to shoot your mouth off to the God who made those rules, not little old me, and let's see if you still have the guts when that day comes. BTW Our govt doesn't execute que*rs, I understand that. My point was to try to show you just how God feels about Homosexuality.
Jeeze. If you insert "black people" in place of "que*rs" in your hate filled post, it's exactly the same mentally people used to treat black people like second class citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point