Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 07:09 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,603,713 times

Advertisements

- Four same-sex couples from the Triad are featured on a new billboard that went up on Battleground Avenue Thursday.

residents comments
"When I look at the billboard, I feel like it's very appropriate," said Brandon Fate of Greensboro. "If you don't like the billboard--don't look at it."

Billboard Featuring Same-Sex Couples Going Up in Greensboro | digtriad.com | Triad, NC | Local News (http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=131112&catid=57 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 09:56 PM

66 posts, read 148,216 times
I agree. Who is to tell someone WHO they can and can not love?? I am a straight female who doesn't think if you're gay you're any less of a person. WHO cares?? Really?

Old 10-15-2009, 05:52 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,173,620 times
Wait, haven't you heard? Gay people destroy families and marriages! I'm sure the divorce rate in Greensboro has skyrocketed since that billboard was posted.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:11 AM

LOL Arb. I sense sarcasm? ANYTHING can destroy families and marriages!! LOL

Old 10-15-2009, 12:56 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,044,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
- Four same-sex couples from the Triad are featured on a new billboard that went up on Battleground Avenue Thursday.
Meh. I'm sure the conservative religious are unhappy about it. If they raise a fuss to get it taken down they'll have to apply the same outrage to the "gentlemen clubs" signs one sees on I-40 in the Greensboro area. After all, those are promoting the sin of men having lust in their hearts for a woman that is not their wife

Old 10-15-2009, 01:19 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,868,604 times
What's sad is that it even made enough fuss to be "news".

Old 10-15-2009, 03:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,603,713 times
this billboard use to be in Greenville SC

Old 10-15-2009, 07:23 PM

Exactly, I agree with you Fran..if it is not one thing, it's another. I think we've got more important issues to worry about than who's dating who. TOO funny how the little things that do not effect us is always turned into major issues. In today's day and time, you're lucky to find someone that makes you happy.

They stoned people to death in the bible,for crimes that you wouldn't even get into trouble for today; if a woman committed adultery back then, she'd have been killed and that was perfectly acceptable. The times have changed. Jesus would NOT hate anyone, he would NOT approve of discriminating anyone. And Actually, I am a vegetarian so I want them to take down all those cheese burger billboards!!!! LOL

Old 12-14-2009, 09:27 AM

8 posts, read 22,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
this billboard use to be in Greenville SC

Bigotry is basically intolerance of beliefs that differ from one's own. The billboard seems to imply that those who adhere to religious beliefs concerning homosexuality are "bigots". But isn't that fairly hypocritical? Shouldn't the group be a bit more tolerant of those whose religiously view homosexuality as sin? After all if the group views homosexuality as "ok" then shouldn't it also be acceptable for someone else to view homosexuality as "not ok"? Seems like the group is imposing a double standard.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:54 AM

254 posts, read 927,071 times
As Americans, bigotry is in direct opposition to the themes and ideals upon which our nation was founded. There are many concepts that I feel very strongly in one way about but that, as an American, I must accept because the way I feel is in stark contrast to certain clearly defined "American" values. Because it is an American ideal that all men are created equal, and subject to the same equal rights under the law, it is absolutely NOT a double standard in this case. One side of the conversation is promoting legal inequity, and the other is promoting equality. Sure, it's easy to claim that it's closed-minded to criticize religious groups for holding such opinions. But it's not. Is it bigotry to criticize families of immigrants who still practice barbaric rituals after becoming citizens (such as female genital mutilation)? Of course not. This is no different. I personally feel that marriage itself is a silly ritual that should have absolutely no recognition under the law, but as long as it is legally recognized, it is absolutely unconstitutional to have laws which define whom one may marry. State laws that attempt to specify that "marriage" is defined as a union between one man and one woman are invalid and illegal, thanks to the Supremacy Clause.
Our law gives everyone the right to BELIEVE anything they want, and to make those beliefs known with no danger of gov't action. It does not protect one person from being criticized by another for believing what he does.
Matchbox20 seems to be reading more into the second billboard than is there. That billboard is not referring to people whose religious beliefs promote bigotry. I assume that it's referring to perverted translations and interpretations of the Christian Bible that identify homosexuality as a sin. It's basically saying not to defend your views by quoting the Bible, because those quotes are relatively modern additions to canon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point