Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2016, 11:42 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times

Advertisements

Local Taco on Augusta gone too. It's been bought by another business to open next year. Breakwater reopens DT.

http://www.wyff4.com/article/restaur...nville/8484990

Last edited by vistatiger; 12-10-2016 at 11:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 12:24 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,139 times
That apparently includes the Local Taco on Pelham Rd closing as well (No longer listed on Local Taco's web site)

Old 12-10-2016, 01:05 PM

453 posts, read 646,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
That apparently includes the Local Taco on Pelham Rd closing as well (No longer listed on Local Taco's web site)
That's not surprising; the place was pretty much barren the two times I went there, and the food tasted like it came off a factory conveyor belt.

I really liked the Conestee location once upon a time, but it definitely lost something when the restaurant traded hands.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:29 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,411 times
Boy, I'd like to have Meador's back!

Old 12-10-2016, 09:48 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleajr View Post
What was the name of the pharmacy on Copeland Plaza in Clinton south Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Revco
Speaking of.. Do you know what the story with that place was?

I seem to recall Copeland Plaza being built in the mid to late 70s.. NEVER actually being fully leased.. But at the beginning, it was close.. Belk, TG&Y and Winn-Dixie in it. I'm sure Carolina Knight can tell the exact store number and year of that Winn-Dixie, but.. that's not really the point...

I know by the late 80's, well after TG&Y had closed up (The sign stayed up until the building was razed if I recall) and Belk left there were rumors that the roof had collapsed in Belk at least. Domino's was perhaps the last actual tenant in the place.. Can't remember if they built first or if Winn-Dixie closed first. MAYBE a hair place was last to leave.

I know the city wound up taking over the property as a 'nuisance property' and demolishing it. Though, oddly, the old Bailey Bank building still stands, albeit vacant.

I wonder if Palmetto Lanes is still open.. That's another place that has had a colorful and checkered history. Website is still up, but lists '2014' hours. Facebook doesn't look promising. I've been working on documenting Rosemont Cemetery the past few weeks.. I'd swing by, but you can't tell anything from the outside of that building.

And.. Dempsey's Pizza looks like they're going to re-open from the August fire next week. They had planned for Thanksgiving week, but.. Restaurants NEVER open on the first planned day.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:19 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Default Copeland Plaza, Clinton, South Carolina

I will need some time to think about Copeland Plaza. It was a popular retail center in Clinton from the 1970's through the 1990's.

I do recall Winn-Dixie #1229, 29496 United States Highway 76 East, Clinton, South Carolina 29325-6206, very well.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:38 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Speaking of.. Do you know what the story with that place was?

I seem to recall Copeland Plaza being built in the mid to late 70s.. NEVER actually being fully leased.. But at the beginning, it was close.. Belk, TG&Y and Winn-Dixie in it. I'm sure Carolina Knight can tell the exact store number and year of that Winn-Dixie, but.. that's not really the point...

I know by the late 80's, well after TG&Y had closed up (The sign stayed up until the building was razed if I recall) and Belk left there were rumors that the roof had collapsed in Belk at least. Domino's was perhaps the last actual tenant in the place.. Can't remember if they built first or if Winn-Dixie closed first. MAYBE a hair place was last to leave.

I know the city wound up taking over the property as a 'nuisance property' and demolishing it. Though, oddly, the old Bailey Bank building still stands, albeit vacant.

I wonder if Palmetto Lanes is still open.. That's another place that has had a colorful and checkered history. Website is still up, but lists '2014' hours. Facebook doesn't look promising. I've been working on documenting Rosemont Cemetery the past few weeks.. I'd swing by, but you can't tell anything from the outside of that building.

And.. Dempsey's Pizza looks like they're going to re-open from the August fire next week. They had planned for Thanksgiving week, but.. Restaurants NEVER open on the first planned day.
Short answer, WalMart came to Laurens.

Belks ceiling did not fall in, unless it was after it closed. I was in there its last day. (Got several great bargains)

Old 12-11-2016, 04:55 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I will need some time to think about Copeland Plaza. It was a popular retail center in Clinton from the 1970's through the 1990's.

I do recall Winn-Dixie #1229, 29496 United States Highway 76 East, Clinton, South Carolina 29325-6206, very well.
The ONLY reason it was popular was that it was the only option. My Grandmother used to joke that Clinton only had Chinese reataurants and banks.. And noone had money for either. She wasn't that far off. especially as the mills started to close down.

Quote:
Short answer, WalMart came to Laurens.

Belks ceiling did not fall in, unless it was after it closed. I was in there its last day. (Got several great bargains)
Yes, this would be after it closed.. Though I do believe that building maintenance issues was part of the reason for Belk's closing (Plus the fact they built a new store in Laurens). I'm sure that it led to Winn-Dixie's departure, because they were in a good spot.. Their closing left a food desert.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:21 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yes, this would be after it closed.. Though I do believe that building maintenance issues was part of the reason for Belk's closing (Plus the fact they built a new store in Laurens). I'm sure that it led to Winn-Dixie's departure, because they were in a good spot.. Their closing left a food desert.
The whole building was in disrepair. Constant leaks. My wife use to complain, when she worked at TG&Y, if it rained they spend more time cleaning up water than doing their job. Belks consolidated the Clinton and Laurens stores, but I'm not sure if this was planned before closing Clinton. I say combined, but it could have just been moving the employees from Clinton to Laurens. The old Belks in Laurens also had problems with the building. It was cheaper to move and remodel the former KMart building than to repair I guess.

Youre right, of course. There is no other supermarket in that area of Clinton.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:23 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
Quote:
The whole building was in disrepair. Constant leaks. My wife use to complain, when she worked at TG&Y, if it rained they spend more time cleaning up water than doing their job. Belks consolidated the Clinton and Laurens stores, but I'm not sure if this was planned before closing Clinton. I say combined, but it could have just been moving the employees from Clinton to Laurens. The old Belks in Laurens also had problems with the building. It was cheaper to move and remodel the former KMart building than to repair I guess.

Youre right, of course. There is no other supermarket in that area of Clinton.
Wasn't Copeland the plaza that had the major flood in the late 70's? I slightly remember a carpet golf and KFC on the corner close by that my grandparents took me to as a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area