Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2021, 11:40 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Nothing. It would be nice to have a fast food restaurant other than Arby's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
Yeah, when I lived there it was just Mcdonald's, Pizza Hut, China, and Dragon's Den. I think they built the Arby's right when I moved in '96. I was never a fan of them anyway. Seems like Pizza Hut is long gone and that spot can't keep a place.
There is a Zaxby's and McDonald's a little further up East North at the intersection with Haywood/Howell. Zax replaced the Burger King on E.North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 12:22 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Nothing. It would be nice to have a fast food restaurant other than Arby's.
Yes. Why can't we have a Roy Rogers? The roast beef is better quality than Arby's, plus they have good hamburgers and famous fried chicken. But I am glad we finally got Popeyes and Culver's, so at least some new concepts have finally emerged in the market. And maybe we'll luck out if the rumored Whataburger comes to Charlotte and expands down to Greenville.

Old 02-16-2021, 12:34 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Yes. Why can't we have a Roy Rogers? The roast beef is better quality than Arby's, plus they have good hamburgers and famous fried chicken. But I am glad we finally got Popeyes and Culver's, so at least some new concepts have finally emerged in the market. And maybe we'll luck out if the rumored Whataburger comes to Charlotte and expands down to Greenville.

I didn't realize that Whataburger was in the Alabama market. If they expanded to Atlanta or Charlotte.. That would be good news for here. I didn't really think they went east of Texas.

Old 02-16-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I didn't realize that Whataburger was in the Alabama market. If they expanded to Atlanta or Charlotte.. That would be good news for here. I didn't really think they went east of Texas.
They are also in Jacksonville, Florida and used to have a few locations in Georgia, but not metro Atlanta. I think they would do well in Atlanta and Charlotte, and they could infill in the Upstate. The SC development rep from Anderson suggested they may be seeking franchise partners for the Charlotte area, and the Upstate could be a possible point of expansion, similar to Jack in the Box after they first expanded there.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:33 PM

So.. Not so "Recently Closed".. But we've talked about this in various topics around here before..

Shoeless Joe's BBQ.. It was in the OLD Como Pete's building. Apparently, back in the 50's and prior, that strip center that has the Blockhouse in it extended out and had 2 additional spaces in it. Shoeless Joe's BBQ was in one.. Capri's moved in.. And when they sold it to Como's, at some point they demolished it back to where Blockhouse is now and built on the property where the current Como's Pete's stands.

Oh.. And @tylerSC.. Hopefully whataburger comes up with a better plan than JitB did. That was.. Bad. Their expansion to here was one step above a disaster if we're being generous.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:47 PM

428 posts, read 362,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
So.. Not so "Recently Closed".. But we've talked about this in various topics around here before..

Shoeless Joe's BBQ.. It was in the OLD Como Pete's building. Apparently, back in the 50's and prior, that strip center that has the Blockhouse in it extended out and had 2 additional spaces in it. Shoeless Joe's BBQ was in one.. Capri's moved in.. And when they sold it to Como's, at some point they demolished it back to where Blockhouse is now and built on the property where the current Como's Pete's stands.

Oh.. And @tylerSC.. Hopefully whataburger comes up with a better plan than JitB did. That was.. Bad. Their expansion to here was one step above a disaster if we're being generous.

Yeah, I think we've talked before about how bad JITB screwed up this area.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:47 PM

738 posts, read 416,650 times
I saw today Pizza Inn has closed in Greenwood.

I thought all of them would have closed in the Upstate years ago like the ones in the eastern part of the state.

Old 02-16-2021, 04:37 PM

128 posts, read 100,840 times
Looks like Dillard's Ice Cream near Conestee Park has closed permanently.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
Yeah, I think we've talked before about how bad JITB screwed up this area.
Jack in the Box expanded to the Upstate from Charlotte. They selected good, high profile locations. But over the years they began to suffer quality control issues and began to decline. Then the corporate owned stores were sold to an independent franchise operator who began to close underperforming locations or high rent properties. Now there are only a few restaurants left, and quality may vary from location to location. Overall some of the restaurants in Charlotte and especially Texas and California seem to be better. Over the years I have enjoyed the Ultimate Cheeseburger, deep fried tacos, and the Meat Lover's Breakfast Burrito. Normally the locations on Pleasantburg near Bob Jones and Five Forks have been decent.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Jack in the Box expanded to the Upstate from Charlotte. They selected good, high profile locations. But over the years they began to suffer quality control issues and began to decline. Then the corporate owned stores were sold to an independent franchise operator who began to close underperforming locations or high rent properties. Now there are only a few restaurants left, and quality may vary from location to location. Overall some of the restaurants in Charlotte and especially Texas and California seem to be better. Over the years I have enjoyed the Ultimate Cheeseburger, deep fried tacos, and the Meat Lover's Breakfast Burrito. Normally the locations on Pleasantburg near Bob Jones and Five Forks have been decent.

JitB is one thing.. One that I don't understand is Schlotzsky's.

I know they had issues in the mid 2000's or so.. But, for a while there, we had one on all corners, it seemed. The original Augusta Rd location, Woodruff, Wade Hampton.. Others I'm sure I've forgotten about.. And now.. Just that Old Spartanburg location remains.

Fatz is another local chain in some serious decline. They, at one time, had a number of Greenville locations.. Now there are none. just Greer.. And if you want to spread out a little, Clinton, Easley and the like.. But.. I dunno.. It's like they just gave up on Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area