Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2020, 04:05 PM

428 posts, read 362,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
When I lived in Northern Virginia back in the 90's, we would visit Friendly's more for the ice cream rather than the food. For a diner type restaurant, we would normally go to Bob's Big Boy. But now you can only find Big Boy in Michigan, Frisch's Big Boy in Ohio, and a few remaining Bob's Big Boy locations in California, including the flagship location in Burbank. I wish Shoney's would realign with Big Boy and make a comeback in the Southeast where they were once a predominant family diner. But glad to see Roy Rogers has made a comeback in the Mid Atlantic region.
Yeah, we lived in Woodbridge and there was a Big Boy a few miles down the road from us. We ate there quite a few times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2020, 07:56 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
Yeah, we lived in Woodbridge and there was a Big Boy a few miles down the road from us. We ate there quite a few times.
Back then Bob's Big Boy and Roy Rogers were operated by Marriott. Now they are different corporations. Nearest Big Boy is now Kentucky, Ohio, and Michigan. But Roy Rogers is making a nice comeback in the Mid Atlantic region.

Old 11-05-2020, 11:18 AM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Back then Bob's Big Boy and Roy Rogers were operated by Marriott. Now they are different corporations. Nearest Big Boy is now Kentucky, Ohio, and Michigan. But Roy Rogers is making a nice comeback in the Mid Atlantic region.

Ah.. I never knew, or if I did I forgot.. That Bob's was a Marriott property.

As best I can recall, they never had one of those up in the Fairfax/Arlington/Alexandria area.. They did have Roy Rogers all over the place, tho.

Old 11-05-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Ah.. I never knew, or if I did I forgot.. That Bob's was a Marriott property.

As best I can recall, they never had one of those up in the Fairfax/Arlington/Alexandria area.. They did have Roy Rogers all over the place, tho.
There was a big Bob's Big Boy right in the middle of Arlington that was open all night because I remember dining from the breakfast bar at 2am. And there were locations in Springfield and Annandale. And also on the Maryland side as well as a DC location on the ground floor of the famous Watergate apartment building. And there was even a location inside the big mall at Tyson's Corner. And they were also located inside the travel plazas along I-95 north of Baltimore, along with Roy Rogers. Amazing they are all gone now.

Old 11-05-2020, 02:56 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
There was a big Bob's Big Boy right in the middle of Arlington that was open all night because I remember dining from the breakfast bar at 2am. And there were locations in Springfield and Annandale. And also on the Maryland side as well as a DC location on the ground floor of the famous Watergate apartment building. And there was even a location inside the big mall at Tyson's Corner. And they were also located inside the travel plazas along I-95 north of Baltimore, along with Roy Rogers. Amazing they are all gone now.

Again, if I ever knew that, I forgot it. one thing and.. Yeah, slightly hijacking this and going off topic, but.. Two things I can remember about Arlington is (And hoping one or both of these weren't Alexandria) they had a duck pin bowling alley.. First place I had ever seen that.. and they had a putt-putt golf place that I was, even back then in the 80's, astounded that they could keep it open with the property costs.

My dad lived in.. Oh.. What were the towers there in Arlington.. one of them collapsed during construction.. Skyline Towers? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyline_Towers_collapse

Ok. So, technically not Arlington.. He had a condo there in the late 80's..

Old 11-07-2020, 02:57 AM

503 posts, read 693,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Really? I didn't know they made it this far south. Looking at their website, seems MB was an outlier. They had those three and a couple down Orlando way and those were the only ones outside of the northeast.

I don't disagree, there was nothing to be impressed about from them. There was one near my home in Manassas.. Seems that they've pulled completely out of Virginia now, but I thought it was pretty bad.

Yeah Ive eaten at them a few times and they are highly over rated.

Quote:
Anyway.. Since the whole Whataburger rumor a while back.. I found something interesting on them. They're opening a couple of restaurants in Missouri, I believe it was.. Those are the first new restaurants outside of their operating area that they've opened in 20 years. So.. I think expansion to the southeast is.. Still a pipe dream for now.

Whataburger had a location in Tampa, Fl that they had opened in 2002 or 2003 and then a location in Brunswick, GA. Both has since closed apparently. I used to eat at the Tampa one almost daily in college and then my wife and I would eat at the Brunswick one when we travel back and forth from Florida to SC before we moved here. I miss eating at them and wish they would open up here.

My first experience every with them was at Williamsburg when I was a kid there was a location right outside of Colonial Williamsburg that you could walk to. I remember loving them then.

Old 11-07-2020, 03:12 AM

214 posts, read 301,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastermaster83 View Post
Whataburger had a location in Tampa, Fl that they had opened in 2002 or 2003 and then a location in Brunswick, GA. Both has since closed apparently. I used to eat at the Tampa one almost daily in college and then my wife and I would eat at the Brunswick one when we travel back and forth from Florida to SC before we moved here. I miss eating at them and wish they would open up here.

My first experience every with them was at Williamsburg when I was a kid there was a location right outside of Colonial Williamsburg that you could walk to. I remember loving them then.

What you were eating at as a kid in Williamsburg was not the Texas chain Whataburger, but was What-A-Burger that started in VA.

Old 11-07-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastermaster83 View Post
Yeah Ive eaten at them a few times and they are highly over rated.

I have previously visited the former Brunswick, Ga. location on the way to Florida. It was right off I-95 near the Georgia/Florida line. They also used to have locations in Valdosta, Ga. and Gainesville, Fla. But they do still have 2 locations near Jacksonville. One is not far off 95 on the same highway exit as the big Avenues Mall, but on the other side of the interstate from the mall.

Whataburger has a good product, but the Virginia locations were a different chain, the hyphenated What-A- Burger, not the Texas version of Whataburger. There also are a few What-A-Burger locations north of Charlotte in Concord, Kannapolis, Mooresville, and Mount Pleasant. I don't know if they are still affiliated with the Virginia version, or if the Virginia version still exists.

But Whataburger Texas is now expanding into new markets, and reportedly Charlotte is a possible target area. And if they enter the Charlotte region, there is a possibility they could expand down to Greenville, similar to Jack in the Box. I hope this happens.

Old 11-07-2020, 12:14 PM

192 posts, read 207,707 times
Quote:
I have previously visited the former Brunswick, Ga. location on the way to Florida. It was right off I-95 near the Georgia/Florida line. They also used to have locations in Valdosta, Ga. and Gainesville, Fla. But they do still have 2 locations near Jacksonville. One is not far off 95 on the same highway exit as the big Avenues Mall, but on the other side of the interstate from the mall.

Whataburger has a good product, but the Virginia locations were a different chain, the hyphenated What-A- Burger, not the Texas version of Whataburger. There also are a few What-A-Burger locations north of Charlotte in Concord, Kannapolis, Mooresville, and Mount Pleasant. I don't know if they are still affiliated with the Virginia version, or if the Virginia version still exists.

But Whataburger Texas is now expanding into new markets, and reportedly Charlotte is a possible target area. And if they enter the Charlotte region, there is a possibility they could expand down to Greenville, similar to Jack in the Box. I hope this happens.

I talked to Whataburger's broker down in FL and he said that they are in the process of hiring a broker for the Carolinas. They would start in Charlotte in expand to Greenville, Spartanburg, Anderson later on.

Old 11-07-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.brayden.sherman View Post
I talked to Whataburger's broker down in FL and he said that they are in the process of hiring a broker for the Carolinas. They would start in Charlotte in expand to Greenville, Spartanburg, Anderson later on.
This is good news I hope it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area