Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Greenville: South Carolina, agent, real estate, buy a house, brand new homes.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 02:45 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
Ahh realtors...16 years ago they were pushing the Eastside for out of towners, now it's Simpsonville. First as you said you need to find a job then find where you want to live in relationship to where the job is. Rent until you do but don't rush it. Look around and decide where you want to live. At the moment, yes, you can find something for under $150,000 and in a nice area. Take a look at journalhome.com and greenvilleonline.com as well as homes.com.
I know it sounds crazy, but if I don't buy I am afraid I will end up in the same position I found myself in FL. I rented and got settled in a job while the homes around me increased in price so quickly that I couldn't catch up. When I saw new homes listed for $150,000 I got excited and figured "Maybe I can own my own home someday." Actually, I found some listings for under $100,000 that looked very nice to me, but I don't know the areas. I wrote about this on another thread. I am single, so if I wasn't afraid of noise, I'd just get a condo. I don't need a lot of space, just peace & quiet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 09:27 PM

113 posts, read 461,972 times
I'm not sure what type

Old 09-28-2007, 09:33 PM

113 posts, read 461,972 times
I'm not sure what type of home you are looking for, but my wife and I will be closing on our brand new home in Easley, SC. The development is Cardinal Woods and the homes are built by Windsor-Aughtry of Greenville. Our 3 bedroom home with a bonus room, screened in patio, 2 car garage etc , 1800 square feet was $157,500. The base price could be less but we opted for the screened in room and a prime lot. Located behind the Outback Steak House off of 123/154.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:02 AM

Thanks, I bookmarked their site.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:42 PM

548 posts, read 1,979,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I know it sounds crazy, but if I don't buy I am afraid I will end up in the same position I found myself in FL. I rented and got settled in a job while the homes around me increased in price so quickly that I couldn't catch up. When I saw new homes listed for $150,000 I got excited and figured "Maybe I can own my own home someday." Actually, I found some listings for under $100,000 that looked very nice to me, but I don't know the areas. I wrote about this on another thread. I am single, so if I wasn't afraid of noise, I'd just get a condo. I don't need a lot of space, just peace & quiet!
Oh I don't mean rent forever. When we moved here 16 years ago we lived in an apartment for 3 months. Unlike others at my husband's company we didn't buy before we actually moved here. BTW home prices around here aren't rising that fast which is why we aren't also experiencing the downturn elsewhere. I don't expect they'll increase much in the next year, especially existing homes.

There are various options to "condo" like living or what they call townhomes with from 4 - 7 two floor units in each building. They are built such that noise isn't an issue. My friend lives in one in the Charleston area. You can't hear her neighbors and her neighbor has a brand new baby. Being single, you might like this not having to have concerns about lawn and roof as it's part of the association fees. You're only concern is interior and services like heat pump.

Be careful under $100,000. The homes may look nice in pictures but either they have something terribly wrong with them or they are out away from everything or in a bad area.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
Oh I don't mean rent forever. When we moved here 16 years ago we lived in an apartment for 3 months. Unlike others at my husband's company we didn't buy before we actually moved here. BTW home prices around here aren't rising that fast which is why we aren't also experiencing the downturn elsewhere. I don't expect they'll increase much in the next year, especially existing homes.

There are various options to "condo" like living or what they call townhomes with from 4 - 7 two floor units in each building. They are built such that noise isn't an issue. My friend lives in one in the Charleston area. You can't hear her neighbors and her neighbor has a brand new baby. Being single, you might like this not having to have concerns about lawn and roof as it's part of the association fees. You're only concern is interior and services like heat pump.

Be careful under $100,000. The homes may look nice in pictures but either they have something terribly wrong with them or they are out away from everything or in a bad area.
Thanks, Janrey. I appreciate your reply. Regarding noise, I've had problems even living in a detached single family home. It all depends on your neighbors and the deed restrictions, if there are any. I owned a home in NH in a very quiet neighborhood. Then a new family moved across the street and began breeding dogs on the front porch. I am a dog lover, but they kept the dogs outside so they wouldn't mess up the house. They barked continuously, starting at 5AM when the couple left for work. That's why, although I've always disliked cookie cutter developments, I am thinking that a community with an HOA might not be a bad idea. Your friends in Charleston are lucky. Obviously their townhouse is built with good soundproofing. In the 70s I lived in a very nice townhome community and my neighbors sounded like a herd of elephants running up and down the steps.

I appreciate your suggestions. In a way, I would prefer living in a condo or townhouse, but I've had so many problems in the past, I'm very hesitant to try it again. I thought the home I live in now was completely silent. I live in a twin villa (also called a duplex) There also have been children in the bedroom right on the other side of the wall and I never heard a peep. Then about 4 years ago that unit was rented to a couple of men who liked to party. At 2AM they'd play the stereo or watch movies using surround sound...and they sure loved to turn up the bass. I was frantic and one time called the police when they wouldn't turn it down. I put up with that for 6 months until they were arrested for dealing crack. The house on the corner has a "For Sale" sign $689,000 (although nothing is selling around here) and the new homes around the corner say "From $1.8 million" so I can't blame it on the price of the homes. My favorite place was the trailer park I lived in for 7 years. They've gone up so much in price, but an adult park where the land is owned can be a very enjoyable place to retire. Unfortunately, the mobile home I bought was on rented land and it depreciated so much I lost a lot of money, so it's not a good investment at all.

You do have a good point, however. Anything that is really cheap might have something wrong with it or be in an area that people find undesirable. I mentioned this on another thread, because I found some cute homes on the West Side near Saluda Lake and was told it's not a safe area. An area might also simply be a little far out in the country too. Lennar has a new development in Boiling Springs and recently advertised a 1,700 s.f. home for $115,000 in Evanwood. It was listed for $135,000 and marked down $20,000 for a 'September Special." It must have sold last week (?) since the Brighton model isn't even listed in their inventory today. The lowest price home available now is is $154,990. I think as you and others have suggested, that renting for a short time will allow me to get a taste of all the different areas around Greenville/spartanburg before making a commitment.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Janrey. I appreciate your reply. Regarding noise, I've had problems even living in a detached single family home. It all depends on your neighbors and the deed restrictions, if there are any. I owned a home in NH in a very quiet neighborhood. Then a new family moved across the street and began breeding dogs on the front porch. I am a dog lover, but they kept the dogs outside so they wouldn't mess up the house. They barked continuously, starting at 5AM when the couple left for work. That's why, although I've always disliked cookie cutter developments, I am thinking that a community with an HOA might not be a bad idea. Your friends in Charleston are lucky. Obviously their townhouse is built with good soundproofing. In the 70s I lived in a very nice townhome community and my neighbors sounded like a herd of elephants running up and down the steps.

I appreciate your suggestions. In a way, I would prefer living in a condo or townhouse, but I've had so many problems in the past, I'm very hesitant to try it again. I thought the home I live in now was completely silent. I live in a twin villa (also called a duplex) There also have been children in the bedroom right on the other side of the wall and I never heard a peep. Then about 4 years ago that unit was rented to a couple of men who liked to party. At 2AM they'd play the stereo or watch movies using surround sound...and they sure loved to turn up the bass. I was frantic and one time called the police when they wouldn't turn it down. I put up with that for 6 months until they were arrested for dealing crack. The house on the corner has a "For Sale" sign $689,000 (although nothing is selling around here) and the new homes around the corner say "From $1.8 million" so I can't blame it on the price of the homes. My favorite place was the trailer park I lived in for 7 years. They've gone up so much in price, but an adult park where the land is owned can be a very enjoyable place to retire. Unfortunately, the mobile home I bought was on rented land and it depreciated so much I lost a lot of money, so it's not a good investment at all.

You do have a good point, however. Anything that is really cheap might have something wrong with it or be in an area that people find undesirable. I mentioned this on another thread, because I found some cute homes on the West Side near Saluda Lake and was told it's not a safe area. An area might also simply be a little far out in the country too. Lennar has a new development in Boiling Springs and recently advertised a 1,700 s.f. home for $115,000 in Evanwood. It was listed for $135,000 and marked down $20,000 for a 'September Special." It must have sold last week (?) since the Brighton model isn't even listed in their inventory today. The lowest price home available now is is $154,990. I think as you and others have suggested, that renting for a short time will allow me to get a taste of all the different areas around Greenville/spartanburg before making a commitment.
Evanwood is out in Spartanburg area so yes, home prices will be lower and according to google maps it appears to be country right now, probably developing, but far from stores etc. from what I can see. Homes in Spartanburg county probably will be in the lower 100's. Again, it depends on where you get a job to where you should look. BTW asking price? It's only asking here don't offer full, your Realtor should be able to tell you what they think the house is worth. Unless your real insulting with your first offer the seller will counter offer.

A homeowners association has it's good and bad, the good is that they will control noise issues, some might even prevent renting the units but that might be rare. Unfortunately, dogs can always be a problem and it upsets me when dog owners keep their pets out in the yard 24/7. Why have them. I have a dog, he barks, but when he does he comes in. He's not allowed to bark for long periods of time. It drives me nuts, never mind neighbors ;-)

Old 10-03-2007, 01:01 PM

Thanks, Janrey. One reason I've rented my dumpy apartment for so long is that I rarely hear any noise from my bedroom, which faces a yard with a buffer of trees. I'm more sensitive to noise than other people. When I die I hope they use my brain to cure chronic insomnia! Anyway, barking dogs have been a problem in many places where I've lived. I rented a unit under a stilt home in Key West once and 24/7 a puppy barked across the canal. I couldn't understand how anyone could tolerate it, even during the day. When I had a day off, I wanted to relax and read a book and he just yapped for hours. I'm sure nobody wants me to write a book about my "adventures in moving" so I skipped a lot, but the reason I mentioned the barking is that home I mentioned where my neighbors decided to breed their dogs became such a problem I had to file a complaint. They were forced to take them in and after that they yelled curse words at me. I tried to avoid them, but living like that is very stressful. I've rescued dogs who were chained to trees before they starved to death, froze or strangled themselves, so I know what you mean about irresponsible owners. I found a puppy in a car very close to death from dehydration and poured water into my hand for him to lick. It boggles the mind. (of course, why should it when people leave their children in hot cars?)

Old 10-04-2007, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Janrey. One reason I've rented my dumpy apartment for so long is that I rarely hear any noise from my bedroom, which faces a yard with a buffer of trees. I'm more sensitive to noise than other people. When I die I hope they use my brain to cure chronic insomnia! Anyway, barking dogs have been a problem in many places where I've lived. I rented a unit under a stilt home in Key West once and 24/7 a puppy barked across the canal. I couldn't understand how anyone could tolerate it, even during the day. When I had a day off, I wanted to relax and read a book and he just yapped for hours. I'm sure nobody wants me to write a book about my "adventures in moving" so I skipped a lot, but the reason I mentioned the barking is that home I mentioned where my neighbors decided to breed their dogs became such a problem I had to file a complaint. They were forced to take them in and after that they yelled curse words at me. I tried to avoid them, but living like that is very stressful. I've rescued dogs who were chained to trees before they starved to death, froze or strangled themselves, so I know what you mean about irresponsible owners. I found a puppy in a car very close to death from dehydration and poured water into my hand for him to lick. It boggles the mind. (of course, why should it when people leave their children in hot cars?)
Then definitely do not buy in a country setting where someone could have many dogs. Even if a good distance from your house dog barks travel. Also, when considering a house visit the area during the day and night. Take a walk around and listen. Early mornings and early evenings are good when people tend to let their dogs out. See if they let them bark a long time or they take them in right away. Check in the middle of the afternoon to see if the dogs are being left out all day. If you look into a condo type home ask to visit at various times to check noise levels in the unit itself. End units probably tend to have less noise because it's only one wall to deal with and if that wall doesn't butt up against a bedroom wall you'll probably hear nothing.

My development is pretty quiet but there is occasional dogs barking and kids screaming. Nights are quiet.

Poor dog. Just yesterday some woman parked at the mall and left a 3-week(yes 3 week) puppy in the car. When she was called out to her car her comment (he's ok I left him with milk). A 3 week old puppy should not be away from it's mother never mind being taken to a mall and left in a hot car.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:42 PM

7 posts, read 17,479 times
justNancy I'm kinda in your situation in that I'm looking to move from Florida also..Miami to be exact. I have friends living in Seneca and they referred me to a realtor that works the Greenville area. She showed us several homes in our price range. She spent basically a whole Saturday showing us the different places around Greenville and about 10 properties. She is a very nice lady who I'm sure could help you out with any questions regarding location or homes for sale. This forum has been extremely informative, I really appreciate everyone's honest opinions. Nancy if you are in need of a realtor and if you'd like I could give you her contact information. Good luck in your move and I hope you find what you're looking for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area