Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 12:44 PM

548 posts, read 1,979,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Being from Chicago I have felt the pain a Woodruff Rd can cause, but if you get out where you can sneak in the back roads, you don't have to wait in traffic. But all in all, compared to a Chicago traffic jam Woodruff Rd's traffic jam is nothing. Almost anywhere you choose to live here you will be within 10-15 mins away from anything you want to go to at some point. When you are visiting next, get caught in each city's rush hour and see if its really that bad.
Yeah I grew up in Boston so yes, I know traffic. I visit Woodruff road in the off hours plus as you say, go in the backways, however, I don't go over there more than once a month and never at Christmas. With Target on 29 I find that much nicer to travel. I also go to the Office Depot over on 29 at Publix and if I need Circuit City I go to the one at the mall. There is also Lowe's and Home Depot on 29 and a Panera Bread Co. so in actuality unless I'm bored I don't even have a need for Woodruff ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 03:49 PM

250 posts, read 1,212,447 times
Here's a video from the local realtor and builder that are currently building out and marketing my neighborhood, if anyone is interested in homes in the Travelers Rest area but are leary of the national new home builders:

http://wms3.streamhoster.com/prestig...plarforest.wmv

Old 10-18-2007, 06:47 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallgirl View Post
Where I live in Florida I am four miles to the nearest Jiffy store, and about six miles to the supermarket.

Ut oh! I am also considering a move to Greenville, either in the next month or after April. I also live in FL and 6 miles to be a long drive to the supermarket for me. I can drive to Publix during a commerical break and be back home in front of the TV before the show starts. I can also walk to 7-11 and several restaurants and there's a 24/7 Walgreen's up the road as well. On the other hand, I like the peace & quiet of living in the country. So I also have a lot of decision making. Here I live on a quiet side street, but the hustle & bustle is only up the road. The only noise I ever hear is from my neighbors, but that can happen anywhere. It's pretty peaceful most of the time until I get out on the road. Then it's a war zone, especially in the winter months.

My main concern about Greenville is crime, but maybe living close to downtown would be better for me, even though I love the mountains and wide open spaces. This is why I need to win the lottery! (I could have both)

Old 10-20-2007, 02:02 AM

609 posts, read 1,619,773 times
Anderson can be pretty rough in areas..... but it's a slow pace, smaller city

Simpsonville would be my personal 1st choice but i could work wtih Andereson

Traveler's Rest.. just a no go for me

Old 10-20-2007, 06:21 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
Definitely live near Greenville if you can. If you like living near mountains and waterfalls, TR is exceptional! If you like suburban living with lots of options and new developments, Simpsonville is best right now, though it is getting pretty "built-up" in a few areas. Not being a huge fan of the suburban sprawl, I would look to more quiet areas that are not too far away from shopping and dining and within a decent drive of downtown Greenville, where most of the options exist. Consider Powdersville and Travelers Rest in that case.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:15 PM

9 posts, read 27,672 times
Quote:
Skyliner,
As I have said in other posts, this was our fourth visit to the Greenville area. At this point I am feeling very confused. I like Travelers Rest because you can see the mountains pretty much from anywhere in the town, but it just may be a little small townish for me now. Simpsonville, very spread out, Woodruff Rd. a little crazy, and the exits at the far end a little too rural. So we went to Anderson to check it out. It seemed like a nice city/town we did not have time to check out the lakes and know very little about it. We keep taking 3-4 day trips and driving around so that we can get to know the area. We are only basing these trips on what others tell us about certain towns, and what we see. As I have said we are looking for good quality of life, low crime, and affordable housing. What scares me is what could seem to be an explosion of growth. I don't want to move to another state to only have to move 10 years from now when things get too crowded.

Fallgirl
That's exactly how I feel too! I like to be in a smaller town but close enough to larger box stores, but I'm afraid to get too close in case of crowding.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:21 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineDine21 View Post
That's exactly how I feel too! I like to be in a smaller town but close enough to larger box stores, but I'm afraid to get too close in case of crowding.
I think TR could be a good fit for you. It is certainly close enough to shopping, but has only improved in recent years as far as small shops, restaurants, health care, and just overall feel. A lot of the residential growth does seem to be concentrated in Simpsonville, so that area could very well feel too crowded to you in a few years.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:17 PM

110 posts, read 116,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineDine21 View Post
I would go with Simpsonville around Fairview or Main Street. No real issue with crowding. And it is easy shot up I-385 to woodruff road and haywood road for shopping and the mall.

Simpsonville and Fountain Inn have some stores and restaurants and are poised to get more. Simpsonville has a little happening ice cream store in its downtown area, gets packed out a lot at night. pretty cool community vibe. all the kids love it

Traveler's Rest is ok but it is not real convenient to anything and not much there, and dealing with traffic on N. Pleasantburg and around Cherrydale isn't much fun.

as long as you don't live in Five Forks, traffic not an issue in Simpsonville, stay closer to the downtown of Simpsonville and Fountain Inn and no problems.

I prefer Anderson the most of these 3, some real nice n'hoods there, and close to the lake. But being close to Greenville is more convenient.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:41 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
I would go with Simpsonville around Fairview or Main Street. No real issue with crowding. And it is easy shot up I-385 to woodruff road and haywood road for shopping and the mall.

Simpsonville and Fountain Inn have some stores and restaurants and are poised to get more. Simpsonville has a little happening ice cream store in its downtown area, gets packed out a lot at night. pretty cool community vibe. all the kids love it

Traveler's Rest is ok but it is not real convenient to anything and not much there, and dealing with traffic on N. Pleasantburg and around Cherrydale isn't much fun.

as long as you don't live in Five Forks, traffic not an issue in Simpsonville, stay closer to the downtown of Simpsonville and Fountain Inn and no problems.

I prefer Anderson the most of these 3, some real nice n'hoods there, and close to the lake. But being close to Greenville is more convenient.
I don't know about Fariview Rd; there is a lot of great shopping there and he traffic doesn't bother me but I have had buyers shy away from that area after they saw the Saturday traffic. Still, Simpsonville is a great area and that is where a lot of my clients want to be. Yoy are right about the cute downtown.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:44 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
Quote:
Thanks Skyliner and other who answered. We are looking for a place with low crime, moderate cost of living, acess to a major airport (need to get to my parents in NY) and opportunity for employment, and change of seasons. It is just too difficult to make a few trips here and there and decide that "this is it". Two people that I work with come from the area - one from Greenville the other from Travelers Rest/Hendersonville, that is how I found about the general area. It is beautiful but since I only know of what I see when I am there or read here that is really all that I know.

Thanks,
Fallgirl
I would definitely add Greer to your list of places to check out on your next visit. Downtown Greer is maybe 5 minutes from the airport, and a short commute to pretty much everything..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area