Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 09:40 AM

915 posts, read 2,426,745 times

Advertisements

Well, I guess I should have paid more attention to what was being taken out of my account, but I couldn't believe what I saw on my online statement today. Apparently the Greenville News nearly doubled the subscription rate for the Sunday paper, and the charge went from $6.96/month to $12/month! I called immediately, and they said that they graciously gave me access to the online daily paper. This was done without my written or verbal consent of course.

Apparently they notified everyone, but I certainly missed it. I cannot believe that they have the ability to actually change your service, as opposed to just issue rate increases. Obviously every company puts their right to price increases in their terms of service, but I have literally never heard of a company being able to change your actual service.

That would be no different than DirecTV practically doubling your bill, by essentially forcing you to have the movie channels.

They wonder why their subscriptions are down. Well, they just lost another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 10:26 AM

4,236 posts, read 6,924,583 times
This happened to me as well. 0 notification and I hardly ever use their website. It happened to us in September I think? We pushed back strongly on the phone and got them to continue our existing price for 6 months which ends in March. At that time we may just stop the paper.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:53 AM

684 posts, read 1,188,728 times
Just train your dog to fetch the neighbors paper for a 3rd, more amusing service.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:00 PM

4,614 posts, read 6,047,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohtalim View Post
Just train your dog to fetch the neighbors paper for a 3rd, more amusing service.
No thanks, I don't want my dog shot over a newspaper. lol
This happened to me also and they gave me the old rate for sunday back but didn't say how long its for. I will have to keep checking my statement now.

Their website says they have 3 levels of home delivery now and all include website access. Sunday only $12.00; Wed-Sun $16.00 and 7 day delivery for $22.00. I believe the Sunday edition is $2.50 in the stores now right?

It kinda wish they would do a print copy and delivery on Wed,Fri and Sunday only when the sale circulars are included. Seems like it would be more cost effective for them.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:30 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,141,246 times
One of the reasons that I no longer take the paper and I give no one the ability to take funds from my account. BTW - Any news that is in the paper is already 12 hours old when you get it.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:36 PM

4,236 posts, read 6,924,583 times
We never actually read the paper, we just get it for the Sunday coupons. Not always a lot in there but we still save more than we spend on the paper.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:13 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,475,527 times
The Greenville News sucks. I'm glad they will be gone soon.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:32 PM

5,492 posts, read 8,340,914 times
It is pretty bad, yet they want folks to pay.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:08 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,477,414 times
We fought for months because 3 out of 4 sundays we wouldn't get a paper. We checked early in the morning and are sure it was just never delivered. The only reason we tried for so long is because we kept getting credit for not getting our paper. The final straw was when or delivery driver called us personally a half hour after we complained and was extremely rude to us and told us she put it in our mailbox (around 1pm) and she "didn't know what our problem was because she was always putting it in our driveway". It was pretty clear she was forgetting us. Best part was in the week before she put a christmas card in the mail box and had a return address...clearly fishing for tips.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:53 PM

607 posts, read 1,404,543 times
We have been thinking about cancelling our subscription. This thread has definitely pushed me closer to going ahead and doing it. Hmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area