Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 08:14 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,245,104 times

Advertisements

Golden Corral should be the next restaurant opening either on Haywood Road or out on Woodruff Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 08:30 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,597,556 times
That would be nice

Old 05-06-2014, 08:51 PM

If I was Golden Corral, I would open up in areas where Ryan's closed. In Greenville County, Simpsonville and White Horse Road would be successful locations.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:57 PM

A Goldern Corral would great In Simsoonille SC

Old 05-06-2014, 09:00 PM

632 posts, read 748,567 times
Tyler
I'll happily credit anyone who can get me some Popeye's chicken within easy driving distance. All I ask is some decent New Orleans style fast food, a good place to get affordable fresh seafood and a place to find more than one cut of steak and I'll be pretty easily pleased.

Carolina
I'm attempting to look at things a couple of decades down the road, when I'm speaking of possible changes. You could be just as right or wrong about things as I am. Don't let the residential thing stifle you're thought processes. When a section of residential zoning becomes more valuable as commercial property, residential use tends to lose out. Wade Hampton was once much more residential than it is now, but it's managed to go commercial quite nicely. The same thing is true of Mauldin and Woodruff Rds. A natural connector route like H/H/E has a fairly high probability of future commercial development, as other popular areas fill up. I'm not calling you out on anything, but I've seen it happen here and on a larger scale in other growing cities.

In the 1980's I watched 800 homes, outside the north perimeter of Atlanta's I-285, get jacked up and trucked away to make way for a commercial development. The land simply became more highly valued for commercial use rather than residential. It's not going to happen here in the next few years and I won't be here to see it, but you could well live to see the day it happens. If Greenville continues to grow, the development projects will also tend to get larger. Never say Never, unless you find looking slightly foolish to be attractive.

Side story..
One Atlanta home owner refused to sell to the developer and fenced in his property. The house was probably 1500 sq ft and, at the time, would probably have been worth no more than $150k, even on the hot ATL market. The owner wanted 1 million bucks or the project would have to be built around his property. A high rise was already going up within 30 ft of his fence and it was quite obvious he was occupying much needed space. He held out for about 18 months before the developer met his price and bought him out. The house was completely gone by the next morning. Think of the investment it takes to purchase 800 homes at above market prices, so that everyone agreed to sell. If the average price was only $150k, you're talking $120 million before even one shovel full of dirt was moved. $121 million, if you count the last man standing, getting his price.

The fascination with the Haverty's property eludes me. Especially with all the available space just across the street. If I owned the property across Haywood, I'd be looking seriously at nearly doubling the available rental space by adding buildings that back up to the Haywood Rd. sidewalk, much like Bacon Brothers on Woodruff Rd. Seems like a pretty cheap play to create a "Mini Mall" considering the parking is already in place. Great way to get space for ALL of the things mentioned so far. All this would play directly into the rejuvenation plans being discussed for the area by making it more pedestrian friendly and adding a Green Zone would be easy to add into the process. I always thought that huge parking lot was a waste of good land.

Cedge

Old 05-06-2014, 10:27 PM

632 posts, read 748,567 times
Bikeoid
Sorry, I almost missed your question. To be honest, I'm not sure if Morgan Manor or Lake forest Shopping Ctr. came first. Both were among the first. Liberty Life Insurance was an early player, on the corner of Wade Hampton and Pleasantburg. Bob Jones "Bible College" was also on the roster of early development in the late 50's. Both predate my personal memory. I can recall bowling at StarLanes Bowling Alley at Morgan Manor, from an age that I could barely lift the bowling ball. Nearly 50 years ago. Damn... it sure went by fast.... LOL

Cedge

Old 05-07-2014, 08:37 AM

At the old Wendy's on Haywood RD i would like to see a Greek/pizza eat place , at the old Arby's i would like to see it torn down and put a Toca Boy there at the golf shop behind the Haywood Mall , I would like to see a Hobby store at the old Steve and Berry's i would like to see a Puma store also a hotdog stand would be great for the Haywood Mall also a Bob evens would great next to the Haywood Mall also a Charleston Crab House and a ChesseCkae factory would be great for Haywood RD lets keep this going like to to hear your ides on this

Old 05-07-2014, 08:42 AM

Would a Greek/Italian/pizza restaurant succeed better in the former Olympian Grill on Congaree Road? I do not know if this space may be used by Skatell's to relocate into a more visible and larger space.

The former Steve & Barry's is a great site for a supermarket like Ingle's. If there is a list of priorities between food, pharmacy, fuel and clothing and accessories, someone like Ingle's can accommodate food, pharmacy and fuel.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:43 AM

Yes that would be a great idea a Ingles would be great in the old Steve and Berrys

Old 05-07-2014, 11:44 AM

At the old Wendy' s on Haywood RD I would like to see a , Roscoe's Chicken& waffle there at the old Arby's treat it tear it down and put a old time ice cream shop there with soda fountains etc at the old golf shop behind the Haywood Mall I would like to see a moon pie shop at the old Steve and Berry's I would like to see a Ingles at the old TJ max i would like to see a Kitchen aidd store at the old Olympian Grill I would like to see a Greek/pizza place also next to the Haywood Mall I would like to see a Catllemens steak house also a fruit market for Haywood RD would great as well also a a hotdog cart for the Haywood Mall as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area