Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 12:51 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,567,699 times

Advertisements

This is really starting to make me nervous - like before the crash in 2008 nervous

I live near 5 forks (about 2 miles) and all the land clearing and new subdivisions - I know jobwise we are growing but are we growing that much? I mean ones that were cleared and stalled in 2009 are still not filled up and they are destroying almost every square foot of land along Lee Vaughn. And grading. Everything for slab foundations - taking hilly land and flattening it - I have not seen anything like it and am not sure how this is cost-effective. The other thing about the clearing is we have had several trees fall I am sure challenged by having to face winds they never had to while they were growing. Nobody comes through, evaluates, and takes down trees susceptible to falling. The one was a huge tulip poplar came into my yard and was, thankfully, caught by my own tulip poplar but I know there are lots of water oaks in those woods that are weak to begin with....

I have learned our tree ordinance in Greenville County is an absolute JOKE. The subdivision going in next to ours is grading right up to the property line and that grading will kill trees belonging to our HOA. Legally. Approved.

Mind you the zoning is one thing and we knew the land was zoned R15 but the other development requirements seem slack indeed. I am so disgusted I don't know where to begin. You can't hold folks to tighetr standards than required by ordinance -- If they actually enforced and codified the plans (for example east woodruff and scuffletown road plans) then many of the issues would be resolved.

Venting but what should we do? Am I the only one feeling this way. Our current new neighbor subdivsion cleared to the max, leaving scant little - and the poor wildlife -For example a red tailed hawk hunting squirrels 20 feet from my house - they used to be in the woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 01:03 PM

4,249 posts, read 6,930,550 times
Unfortunately this is rampant in so many places these days, and not just in Greenville. However, I do agree that there were tons of mass land clearing new subdivisions with architecturally ugly/cheap looking homes (and probably worse underneath the surface) in the area.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:40 PM

79 posts, read 80,085 times
Look at this link. Click on the bottom tab, and fill the bottom box with subdivision.Submit, Then click PDF, it will show you the plats of the subdivisions that is up for review to be built. Hang in there Greenville.

Greenville County - Preliminary Subdivision Search

Last edited by Gittyup; 04-25-2016 at 02:59 PM..

Old 04-25-2016, 02:56 PM

11,712 posts, read 24,845,222 times
This is why I live downtown. You can have that sprawl crap for yourselves.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:58 PM

12,634 posts, read 32,120,404 times
I was in Simpsonville by Fairview yesterday and observed the same thing.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:07 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,228,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
This is why I live downtown. You can have that sprawl crap for yourselves.

Yep, there is nothing like historic streets with solid homes built 100 years ago. I can't stand subdivisions filled with particle board stick homes with plastic fixtures from China, but regardless of what we like, there is a little bit of everything for everyone here.

I will always push for the preservation of historic downtown homes and neighborhoods, that is where the true equity in ownership lies as these neighborhood typically hold their value and survive manipulated housing bubbles.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:19 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,666,089 times
Simpsonville is just one neighborhood after another. People moving here from other states and other countries need to live somewhere.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:42 AM

9,555 posts, read 9,871,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
Yep, there is nothing like historic streets with solid homes built 100 years ago. I can't stand subdivisions filled with particle board stick homes with plastic fixtures from China, but regardless of what we like, there is a little bit of everything for everyone here.

I will always push for the preservation of historic downtown homes and neighborhoods, that is where the true equity in ownership lies as these neighborhood typically hold their value and survive manipulated housing bubbles.
Let us know where they are building homes that are affordable like the ones you mentioned. Although some of these older homes are available on the market, there are not enough of them for the growth that is expected in the Upstate.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:31 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,567,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gittyup View Post
Look at this link. Click on the bottom tab, and fill the bottom box with subdivision.Submit, Then click PDF, it will show you the plats of the subdivisions that is up for review to be built. Hang in there Greenville.

Greenville County - Preliminary Subdivision Search
I know how to use that site and keep tabs on the one next to me for changes but I never saw any announcement of meetings or opportunity for public input. I thought as long as they complied with the regulations and zoning laws there was no public input.

When I called land development about the grading up to the property line which will kill our trees in a few years i was told that was perfectly legal. It is not about the application of the ordinances but about the ordinances themselves.

I agree that people need to live somewhere I just question the glut on the market as many of the subdivisions that were started in 2008 are not even complete. I would love to see ordinances requiring some percent occupancy or to fill a specific niche (like affordable homes) before building more. Kind of like having empty commercial buildings while allowing new strip malls to be built. We *can* control these things but, being where we are.............

Old 04-26-2016, 07:08 AM

11,712 posts, read 24,845,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Let us know where they are building homes that are affordable like the ones you mentioned. Although some of these older homes are available on the market, there are not enough of them for the growth that is expected in the Upstate.
Define the term affordable. Just because you can't afford it doesn't mean other people can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area