Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 08:10 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I doubt any large scale retail development will find large enough sites for surface growth. Greenville County Square is the last site. Greenville County would be part of its redevelopment through vertical growth. Vertical growth will be the way to go.
The other option would be if Kmart would close. Either way, I wonder when the decision will be made on what to do with county square. I still like the idea of what the OP has suggested. It's time for Greenville to do something like this. It's common in other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 08:14 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe9439 View Post
I think this is an argument for larger scale development with a grocery store and housing built in tandem. If you build 1000 apartments on top of a grocery store it's pretty easy to strike a deal with a company, like Wal-Mart, willing to fill that space before the project even starts.

I do know that a Harris Teeter is being planned at the corner of E Stone and Wade Hampton. According to the plan it's a little more strip mall and less urban that I would like to see but at least it's something. The parking lot is going to take up like 80% of the land area. The development is called Northpointe.

Yay for downtown being a giant parking lot! Yay for more traffic! The emphasis of development is clearly not on walkability but the tourism concept where people come to experience it and then leave.

We want people to live and work downtown. Stop with the leaving!
The site plan for Harris Teeter at NorthPointe has changed with the inclusion of a pharmacy drive thru.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
The other option would be if Kmart would close. Either way, I wonder when the decision will be made on what to do with county square. I still like the idea of what the OP has suggested. It's time for Greenville to do something like this. It's common in other cities.
Kmart Plaza is in a different trade area. It has lost a supermarket, BI-LO #5016, 6 Kmart Plaza, Greenville, South Carolina 29605-4442. Discount department store Kmart #4016, 1 Kmart Plaza, Greenville, South Carolina 29605-4442, is open. Its future is uncertain as Sears Holdings continues to close Kmart and Sears stores.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:27 PM

23 posts, read 28,181 times
Quote:
The site plan for Harris Teeter at NorthPointe has changed with the inclusion of a pharmacy drive thru.
Oh Good. So we've given up already on the whole use your legs thing downtown. We're in full drive thru mode. What then is the point of downtown over somewhere else like Woodruff Rd? Are we just going full car mode everywhere?

The whole NorthPointe development should just be a single building with a parking garage below it. Retail on the first 2-3 floors. A park on top of that. Residential above the park. Commercial office space in there somewhere.

The NorthPointe design as it is places a lower price point on what people will be willing to pay to live there. I'd pay more to live on top of a shopping mall than I would to live next to a parking lot. Taking my groceries home up the elevator is a lot more glamorous than lugging them across a scorching hot parking lot in July.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:41 PM

NorthPointe as it will be is fine. Harris Teeter will get steady business from customers driving and walking to the store.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:53 PM

825 posts, read 1,124,932 times
Fairly certain the water table in Greenville is too high to do any substantial underground parking. That is why much of the recent development especially with hotels has consisted of having an adjacent but connected parking garage. My guess is that whatever goes into county square will likely have a parking garage of some sort, but I would expect it to be separate structure.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:42 PM

23 posts, read 28,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
Fairly certain the water table in Greenville is too high to do any substantial underground parking.
I feel like it's possible though. Land is too valuable to waste it on parking lots or even garages. Garages are giant dead zones in the city. They serve as places crime can take place. Parking lots and garages are things we want to get rid of as much as possible. They take away from the livability of the city. I don't want to have to walk through parking lots or around giant parking garages to get everywhere I want to go. Half of Greenville is already a parking garage. Since we realistically have to drive they need to be underground. They just have to be. End of story.

I've seen this done in coastal Chinese cities. They are built next to the ocean but they have 3-5 story deep parking garages below the buildings. They don't do above ground parking garages over there because they realize the lower cost of building above ground has such a massive impact on the value of property in the city. You save $1K on building an above ground garage rather than below and you easily lose $10K in property value around it. This is either because of the opportunity cost of lost air space to build something like condos or because people would rather live and will pay more to live next to stores and activities rather than a parking lot.

I've seen underground parking garages next to the ocean. If it's possible there it's possible here. This is 2017 and I'm confident we can figure out how to dig a waterproof hole. I don't want to hear these sad excuses for poor development planning. A lot of these developers are doing things like above ground parking garages to build a cheap building with minimal capital outlay at the expense of the health of the city. Draw on some foreign capital if need be but build it right.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:11 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe9439 View Post
I don't want to have to walk through parking lots or around giant parking garages to get everywhere I want to go. Half of Greenville is already a parking garage. Since we realistically have to drive they need to be underground. They just have to be. End of story.
that is easy for you to say if you are not the one who will be paying for it.

it seems to me parking lots and parking garages and traffic are part of living in an urban area.

the parking garages are not on Main Street which is the main attraction. i think parking garages are less front and center in Greenville compared to other cities. There are not a ton of parking lots in the downtown area.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:47 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
This was ten years ago.
I don't think it was that long. It was just before the South Ridge/Retail developed there with the exclusion of Walmart.

I don't get why everyone wants another Walmart. Don't we have enough? We have all seen it. How about something different. The Harris Teeter will be spot on and meet that need for something new and exciting. Looking forward.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:57 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
NorthPointe as it will be is fine. Harris Teeter will get steady business from customers driving and walking to the store.
I agree. Even the CVS on Main has a drive-thru doesn't it. Seems like a necessity for a pharmacy to fully compete these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area