Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 03:32 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,457,427 times

Advertisements

Is County Square the most valuable downtown property waiting to be redeveloped? - Upstate Business Journal

I think this topic has been discussed on another thread but I can't remember where. This is a new article about it:

How much would a developer pay for nearly 38 acres of high ground within walking distance of Falls Park, Fluor Field and the Swamp Rabbit Trail in downtown Greenville? Greenville County may be posing that question to developers in a formal way early next year in what could signal the beginning of one of the biggest downtown development deals to date, if not the biggest.

For a decade county officials have mulled turning County Square, the site of county headquarters, over to the private sector for redevelopment. In exchange for the land, county officials think they could get a new office tower and parking garage on the same site — and if they had to kick in some cash as part of the deal, it should be far less than what an office tower and parking garage would normally cost.

Another benefit: a valuable property that is not currently on the tax rolls because it’s owned by the county would begin generating tax revenue — not to mention the jobs that would come from firms recruited by the developer.

more at the link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 06:16 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,183,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Is County Square the most valuable downtown property waiting to be redeveloped? - Upstate Business Journal

I think this topic has been discussed on another thread but I can't remember where. This is a new article about it:

How much would a developer pay for nearly 38 acres of high ground within walking distance of Falls Park, Fluor Field and the Swamp Rabbit Trail in downtown Greenville? Greenville County may be posing that question to developers in a formal way early next year in what could signal the beginning of one of the biggest downtown development deals to date, if not the biggest.

For a decade county officials have mulled turning County Square, the site of county headquarters, over to the private sector for redevelopment. In exchange for the land, county officials think they could get a new office tower and parking garage on the same site — and if they had to kick in some cash as part of the deal, it should be far less than what an office tower and parking garage would normally cost.

Another benefit: a valuable property that is not currently on the tax rolls because it’s owned by the county would begin generating tax revenue — not to mention the jobs that would come from firms recruited by the developer.

more at the link
I hope someone purchases that building and does something with it. It is a good location. The county offices are very dated and I think it's time for them to move to a more user friendly building. It's crazy how you have to drive to each section of the building or across the street to get where you need to be. I think the county offices should be in a multi level building to make it more accessible. Even if the county offices were to remain there, they should demolish the building and start from scratch. Affordable living apartments would do well there.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:37 PM

4,628 posts, read 6,103,533 times
County Square was a former shopping mall and was repurposed for use as county offices. The family court building was a movie theater. None of it originally designed to be an office building. Wouldn't mind seeing both retail and movies again with housing but please NO Walmart. Target OK.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
County Square was a former shopping mall and was repurposed for use as county offices. The family court building was a movie theater. None of it originally designed to be an office building. Wouldn't mind seeing both retail and movies again with housing but please NO Walmart. Target OK.
I think Walmart or Target is a good option but not too sure about it being right in the middle of downtown? I guess they could do a Neighborhood Market or a Target grocery.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:31 PM

Greenville County soliciting proposals to redevelop County Square - Greenville Journal

the county is asking for proposals to redevelop County Square.

“The county encourages creative thinking to achieve a stunning, vibrant mixed-use development with architectural and urban design quality fitting to this extraordinary location and capable of attracting significant investment to and around the site.”

Old 01-21-2017, 05:24 PM

How about something like the Epicenter in Charlotte or even a town center? Something with more entertainment choices than just bars and restaurants. Some examples like Strike City or a movie theater.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:29 PM

23 posts, read 28,384 times
I want to see a shopping mall that has a Wal-Mart and movie theater integrated. Park space on the roof with high rise apartments above that. I think a short building here is such a waste of space. We need one or several large buildings that are built tall to better satisfy the demand of the area.

I know you all hate the idea of something like Wal-Mart but the fact that there's no real shopping downtown besides Publix is pretty much the main reason I don't live down there. I instead live outside of downtown somewhere where I can walk to a lot more stores. It's pretty sad that you can find much more livable urban environments outside of the city center.

Does Greenville want to be a city or does it want to be Disney World where people come for the day and then leave? I and several people I know are waiting to throw down fat stacks of cash every month on rent if there were more things down there. As it is now it's not great unless you're just into eating $20 per plate meals every day. More entertainment than expensive bars and restaurants is sorely needed.

For those of you opposed to larger scale development consider this. The city is overbuilt right now with expensive apartments. There could easily be a demographic shift downtown toward the lower income side of the spectrum as people like me who want a good urban lifestyle go find it on the fringes of town. You guys don't want to create another Atlanta but you're going to end up with one if you push all of the money to the edges. For the growth of the city to be sustainable you need to build in a way which allows more middle income people to live down there and to do that you need some stores like Wal-Mart. If we continue this trend of a city center composed entirely of rich and homeless people it's not going to end well.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
How about something like the Epicenter in Charlotte or even a town center? Something with more entertainment choices than just bars and restaurants. Some examples like Strike City or a movie theater.
i wouldn't be surprised if this new development has an IMAX.

The Columbia Common development in Columbia is supposedly getting a Cobb Luxury movie theater. Given the developer is Hughes out of Greenville, perhaps Hughes could lure them to Greenville as well.

Here is a brief description of the Cobb Luxury 10 Theatre.

'he Cobb Luxury 10 Theatre will feature 10 screens with all-reserved, oversized and overstuffed electric reclining seats. The theater also will have a full-service restaurant and bar that offers pizza as well as beer and wine. The restaurant and bar will be open to all visitors, not just those there to catch a movie. The theater complex also also feature a self-serve, walk-through concession area with drinks, snacks and candies, including soft serve yogurt.'

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-22-2017 at 08:40 AM..

Old 01-22-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe9439 View Post
I want to see a shopping mall that has a Wal-Mart and movie theater integrated. Park space on the roof with high rise apartments above that. I think a short building here is such a waste of space. We need one or several large buildings that are built tall to better satisfy the demand of the area.

I know you all hate the idea of something like Wal-Mart but the fact that there's no real shopping downtown besides Publix is pretty much the main reason I don't live down there. I instead live outside of downtown somewhere where I can walk to a lot more stores. It's pretty sad that you can find much more livable urban environments outside of the city center.

Does Greenville want to be a city or does it want to be Disney World where people come for the day and then leave? I and several people I know are waiting to throw down fat stacks of cash every month on rent if there were more things down there. As it is now it's not great unless you're just into eating $20 per plate meals every day. More entertainment than expensive bars and restaurants is sorely needed.

For those of you opposed to larger scale development consider this. The city is overbuilt right now with expensive apartments. There could easily be a demographic shift downtown toward the lower income side of the spectrum as people like me who want a good urban lifestyle go find it on the fringes of town. You guys don't want to create another Atlanta but you're going to end up with one if you push all of the money to the edges. For the growth of the city to be sustainable you need to build in a way which allows more middle income people to live down there and to do that you need some stores like Wal-Mart. If we continue this trend of a city center composed entirely of rich and homeless people it's not going to end well.
I can definitely relate to this. You have come up with some good points. I do like downtown and enjoy going down there but we need more entertainment options, affordable housing and a Walmart. I know people are opposed to Walmart but truth is many people still shop there for their everyday needs. It doesn't need to be located right in downtown either but right on the outskirts would work as well. Unfortunately, not everyone can afford to shop at Publix. Another store that I do most of my food shopping is Aldi. Downtown Greenville has come a long way and these little things will just help it to continue to grow.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i wouldn't be surprised if this new development has an IMAX.

The Columbia Common development in Columbia is supposedly getting a Cobb Luxury movie theater. Given the developer is Hughes out of Greenville, perhaps Hughes could lure them to Greenville as well.

Here is a brief description of the Cobb Luxury 10 Theatre.

'he Cobb Luxury 10 Theatre will feature 10 screens with all-reserved, oversized and overstuffed electric reclining seats. The theater also will have a full-service restaurant and bar that offers pizza as well as beer and wine. The restaurant and bar will be open to all visitors, not just those there to catch a movie. The theater complex also also feature a self-serve, walk-through concession area with drinks, snacks and candies, including soft serve yogurt.'
This would be a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area