Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 04:33 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times

Advertisements

I think it's worse out there today. My throat and nose is burning, and just getting in and out of the car for a few minutes doing errands today, I stink like smoke. I woke up this morning sounding like a frog, as I was outside trying to do some outside work. My friend sent me a picture of her street this morning out in Greer's O'Neal Village and it looked pretty smoky out there. Something's gotta give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 05:35 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I think it's worse out there today. My throat and nose is burning, and just getting in and out of the car for a few minutes doing errands today, I stink like smoke. I woke up this morning sounding like a frog, as I was outside trying to do some outside work. My friend sent me a picture of her street this morning out in Greer's O'Neal Village and it looked pretty smoky out there. Something's gotta give!
I thought it was better today. Yesterday, my throat was burning too.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:44 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
it was noticeable in Atlanta this weekend.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:10 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
it was noticeable in Atlanta this weekend.

My friend who lives in Midtown ATL told me she wanted to go ride her bike today but was worried about the smoke there.

The news reported there's no real rain in our future, at least not until Christmas. This is terrible! Not only is it bad due to the fires, but plants are suffering with this lack of rain, and I personally am suffering from lack of being able to work in the garden. But alas, even without rain, the weeds grow!

Old 11-15-2016, 08:25 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,660,771 times
Where I work in Greenville County, it was noticeably less smoky than Monday. I was grateful for a little relief. Or maybe I am getting adjusted to it...

Old 11-15-2016, 08:59 PM

7,258 posts, read 4,624,529 times
A few smoke info links:

Use this to see detailed satellite images of current and past smoke / clouds over our region (bottom left corner lets you go forward or backward in time, top left corner has layers):
NASA Worldview

Some additional MODIS imagery:
MODIS Today -- CIMSS/SSEC

Smoke / air quality prediction map - hour by hour (once page loads, in the table to the left of the main map image find "1Hr Average Surface Smoke", on desktop pc mouse over the grey boxes on that line item or on mobile tap on those little grey boxes to see hour by hour smoke/air quality models):
Air Quality Forecast Guidance for Midatlantic

Major fire incident information / maps / images (use drop down at top right corner to quickly jump to a specific fire or state):
InciWeb the Incident Information System: Current Incidents

SC DHEC air quality info:
DHEC: Air Updates

Old 11-16-2016, 06:19 AM

Edit for the above: the first links for seeing more detailed up close sat images are only updated once or twice a day I believe. You'll have to use a regular visible satellite or other methods from any of your standard weather sites to get more real time throughout the day but they don't show the smoke as well typically...or just step outside :-)

Old 11-16-2016, 08:15 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
MAJOR BURNING OPERATION PLANNED THURSDAY AT PINNACLE MOUNTAIN FIRE
Firefighters are planning a large-scale burnout operation on the Pinnacle Mountain Fire Thursday. This burning operation, undertaken to bring the wildfire under control, will encompass both sides of Table Rock and will extend north to the Table Rock Reservoir, south to the Pinnacle Lake area, and east to the Table Rock State Park boundary near High Low Gap.

This burnout, estimated at over 2,000 acres, will put a tremendous amount of additional smoke in the air in northern Pickens County. Motorists traveling in the area are urged to use caution and avoid SC 11, and people with respiratory conditions are encouraged to stay indoors.

An area north of SC 11 that is close to the burnout operation, from Back Park Road to South Saluda Road and north to Table Rock Reservoir, will be evacuated on Thursday. About 70 families will be affected by the evacuation. Local fire departments are going door-to-door to tell residents about the evacuation.

A cold front moving through the mountains this weekend will bring high winds and lower humidity, so fire officials are taking aggressive measures to bring fire under control before that front arrives.

The Pinnacle Mountain Fire is now 35 percent contained and is about 3,283 acres.

Efforts to contain the Pinnacle Mountain Fire involve numerous agencies and organizations, with nearly 170 personnel assigned to this incident. This mission is being coordinated under a unified command between the S.C. Forestry Commission and the Holly Springs Fire Department.

https://www.facebook.com/ForestryCommish/

Old 11-16-2016, 08:28 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,660,771 times
Thank you Art123 and Psychoma for those updates!

Old 11-17-2016, 08:45 PM

An additional thread dedicated to the Pickens County Pinnacle Mountain Fire can also be found here in the main South Carolina Forum:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/south...ire-table.html

Here's today's image:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area