Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 04:37 AM

5,596 posts, read 15,407,948 times

Advertisements

"Rich culture, great food, low stress. Who wouldn't want to call these affordable cities home?"

That is the comment at the top of a lifestyle page on AARP Magazine's official website. The organization has ranked the top five "best places to live the simple life" and Greenville is their pick for #2 in the U.S. Tucson, Arizona, was picked #1 overall.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:12 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,774,110 times
While "AARP" is in the thread title, I think it's worth repeating that what is deemed "high quality" for retirees and what is "high quality" for working people are two different things.

Greenville is a place that is very difficult to find a job if you are not a native, and the wages are low, offsetting the low cost of living.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:19 AM

I am not a retiree. I am a working citizen and consider Greenville to be a high quality place to live comfortably. While I am considered a "native" (a first generation native, with deep family roots in the North and Midwest), most of my co-workers are not natives and had no difficulty finding a position in the Upstate. Obviously the current economic recession is affecting the job market in many cities. It is tough for everyone looking for a job these days, regardless of where you live.

Last edited by Skyliner; 08-03-2009 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: Added information about myself

Old 08-03-2009, 07:16 AM

9,555 posts, read 9,867,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Greenville is a place that is very difficult to find a job if you are not a native, and the wages are low, offsetting the low cost of living.
I have many friends here that are not native and have very good jobs in SC.

I really don't think it matters if your native or not. While the unemployment rate here is higher than most areas, there are still jobs to be found depending on your skill set.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:36 AM

5,495 posts, read 8,346,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
While "AARP" is in the thread title, I think it's worth repeating that what is deemed "high quality" for retirees and what is "high quality" for working people are two different things.

Debatable. What is a low wage to you 70k? Most of my friends make more than this.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:05 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,552,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I am not a retiree. I am a working citizen and consider Greenville to be a high quality place to live comfortably. While I am considered a "native" (a first generation native, with deep family roots in the North and Midwest), most of my co-workers are not natives and had no difficulty finding a position in the Upstate. Obviously the current economic recession is affecting the job market in many cities. It is tough for everyone looking for a job these days, regardless of where you live.

Yeah and even tougher to find a job when people are living in Greenville which is heavily dependent on 1 industry (manufacturing jobs)! No variety in Greenville = a tougher job market then cities that have diverse job opportunities.

"It is tough for everyone looking for a job these days, regardless of where you live".

Disagree here too. No Greenville is harder then other places to find a job.......unlike Greenville other cities have a lot of different industries to offer.........Greenville is heavily depending on the manufacturing industry that is located here to provide a lot of the jobs.

Unless attracting diverse industries to this area becomes a TOP PRIORITY........Greenville will have the same problem with limited job opportunities when the recession is over! I keep hearing people say that attracting other industries to this area is important.......however I see the people on this forum get excited because another bar/restaurant offering Greenville residents low paying jobs is about to locate here this gives me reason to pause!

Old 08-03-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
...Greenville offers a very nice quality of life for retired people who will play golf, go downtown for the attractions, visit the mountains etc.

...what is considered good quality of life for a retiree will not be the same for a working person!
Apparently you did not read my previous reply. I am not a retiree. Obviously Greenville does offer a very nice quality of life for both retirees and non-retirees.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:14 AM

2,217 posts, read 2,853,361 times
Yes, Greenville does not have the same broad scope of industries as New York City. You wouldn't want to move here as an unemployed handbag designer or swimsuit model. But that's the case with most places in the country outside NYC, and everyone already knows that.

So it's kind of like arguing that New York stinks because it's too densely crowded and there's not enough open spaces - if you're worried about things like that you shouldn't have been considering it in the first place.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:18 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,552,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I have many friends here that are not native and have very good jobs in SC.

I really don't think it matters if your native or not. While the unemployment rate here is higher than most areas, there are still jobs to be found depending on your skill set.
Many times not being a native is the very thing that = having a good job in SC. For example in many cases the natives are paid lower salarys but working at the same comany with the transplants.

Transplants like myself relocating to SC from much higher paying cities very often bring that same salary with them especially if they do the same thing that I did and transfer with the same company. Therefore when I see someone who tells me that they have a good job in SC........then I know most of the time (not always) it is because they transferred from another state.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Yeah and even tougher to find a job when people are living in Greenville which is heavily dependent on 1 industry (manufacturing jobs)! No variety in Greenville = a tougher job market then cities that have diverse job opportunities.
That is incorrect. Greenville is far from dependent on one industry. Do your research before making such utterly ridiculous statements. There is indeed a fair amount of variety in the local job market, although some people need the education and/or skills required to fit into specific industries.

Quote:
Disagree here too. No Greenville is harder then other places to find a job.......unlike Greenville other cities have a lot of different industries to offer.........Greenville is heavily depending on the manufacturing industry that is located here to provide a lot of the jobs...
Please read this post. I will not deny that it may be more difficult for some (not all) unemployed people to find work in Greenville than in some (not all) cities, but with the rising unemployment rate in most cities across the U.S. - even the ones with a maximum level of industrial diversity - it is irrational to say that our local unemployment rate is ultimately the result of less job diversity. Quite simply, there are not enough opportunities available in any industry to satisfy the massive number of unemployed citizens across the U.S. A person may be professionally qualified to work in any industry, but will likely find it significantly more difficult to acquire a quality position during this economic recession. There are many more people out there waiting for the same position to become available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area