Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 08:46 PM

53 posts, read 192,559 times

Advertisements

Thinking of relocating to Greenville. I have a interview setup for next week. Whats the minimum salary a single 27 year old can live comfortably there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 09:00 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
It depends what your income is. You're going to have to provide me with more information before I can help you.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:01 PM

lets see my only debts are car payment of about 275 car insurance 150. Other than that I am debt free. Not sure of the salary yet thats what I am asking, whats a comfortable salary to live on in Greenville

Old 02-17-2010, 10:04 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Some employers in town think you can live on less than $20k/yr. You really should know the salary range this job pays before you show up for an interview.

If you take on a roommate with a steady income you can live on $20k/yr. I don't think you'll have a lot of extra money though.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:42 PM

Well theirs no harm in showing up for the interview I am only like 3 hours away. Plus it will give me a chance to look around Greenville some more. 20k a year for a professional graphic designer is pretty bad. Hope its not that low!

Old 02-18-2010, 04:44 AM

84 posts, read 203,062 times
I would see how much apartments are. That will help give you a better estimate.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:24 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cep2535 View Post
Well theirs no harm in showing up for the interview I am only like 3 hours away. Plus it will give me a chance to look around Greenville some more. 20k a year for a professional graphic designer is pretty bad. Hope its not that low!
Yes, 20k for a graphic designer would be pretty bad. I'd expect a minimum of a few dollars more per hour with those skills but don't be surprised if the pay seems low. South Carolina is traditionally a low wage state but that's not to say that high wage jobs don't exist; they are just hard to find. You will not make as much (in most cases) here as you would in a larger city but it won't cost you as much to live here.

Since you're only 3 hours away I'd go for it especially if you can't find a job where you are now.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:35 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,530 times
Quote:
lets see my only debts are car payment of about 275 car insurance 150. Other than that I am debt free. Not sure of the salary yet thats what I am asking, whats a comfortable salary to live on in Greenville
Depends on what you consider comfortable living......if you do not care about working just to pay bills, not having much extra disposable income to enjoy and believe that $17K - $20K a year is good enough to live on......then Greenville SC is the perfect place for you. A large percentage of the population is working an $8 - $9 an hour job (retail, grocery stores, factories, restaurants, and other service/labor related jobs). A friend of mine who lives in Greenville is working at Dukes Mayonaise in Mauldin......making a whopping $8 an hour!! (that is $8 an hour x's his 44 hour work week for a total of $352 a week before taxes).

By the time taxes come out of his check, he pays his rent ($650 a month), gas for his car, electricity/gas bill and food.....he has barely anything left.

SC has some of the lowest (worst) wages in the United States of America. Of course there are some exceptions to this rule....there are a small number of people in Greenville who make good money but believe me they are out-numbered 3 to 1. The sad thing about it is that the residents there tolerate being paid these kind of wages.

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 02-18-2010 at 09:59 AM..

Old 02-18-2010, 10:01 AM

899 posts, read 2,288,442 times
Quote:
Thinking of relocating to Greenville. I have a interview setup for next week. Whats the minimum salary a single 27 year old can live comfortably there
I think the best thing to do with questions like yours is to make a budget of what you intend your monthly expenses to be--including rent, utilities, groceries, car payments, entertainment, etc. Also you should have a goal of putting some extra money aside each month for savings and a fund for unexpected expenses--because everyone's car has some sort of problem that needs to be taked care of.

Figuring out what you need to make to live "comfortably" is pretty relative based on the person. I can tell you this though since your rent might be your biggest expense for a while--there are several nice apartment complexes where young professionals tend to live in the best parts of town that have rents for 1BR/1BA in the $550-$600 range. If you compare that to rents of some other areas with salaries on par with this region, that's pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area