Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 07:52 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
The info in the second link is a couple of years old now, I do believe. But thats probably the last thing that was ever done for the property. If it werent for the river/stream/creek, Im sure something would have been done by now. Redirecting it is possible, and some work has been done there, but I wonder if it would be enough to stop any potential flooding there.
Is the site in a flood prone area?

Old 01-28-2016, 08:10 PM

Default Ingle's #41, Fairview Station, 621 Fairview Road, Simpsonville, South Carolina 29680-6706

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Sounds like an Ingles replacement.
The existing Ingle's #41 has been at Fairview Station for approximately 27 years. Ingle's is active replacing and expanding stores in North Carolina and Tennessee. It has been eight years since Ingle's built a new store in South Carolina. Replacing store 41 at a new location could be the first of many new stores, both replacement and additional stores, in South Carolina.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:23 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Is the site in a flood prone area?

That's why I said potential flooding. In fact there use to be a pond there years ago. There was some work done after the pond was drained, I suspect to help with runoff. The creek is still there, and feeds into the pond across from 711, so adding more asphalt adds to the amount of runoff, and could possibly flood the area.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:22 AM

Could the creek be deepened and widened?

Old 01-29-2016, 06:38 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
I would wager that it could be, and could possibly be a "built in" feature for the area, but would require more work further down stream as well, which IIRC would mean the road would have to be detoured while the tunnel was replaced to handle the amount of overflow, which it may be capable now of doing. The thing to remember though is its going to affect more downsteam if asphalt is layed down. It could be potentially millions more gallons feeding into this stream, from runoff, that would be fed into the pond, and Im not so sure the area could handle that extra water. Its basically a swamp beside the 711 now since it takes so long to dry up. Im not an engineer by no means, but have seen many areas that didnt flood before, now flood with the least little sprinkle (sarcasm) because of development upstream. I can remember years ago when Walmart was first built, the pond thats now dry would overflow almost up to the road in heavy rains. When Lowes was built, it actually helped because they did some grading to help the runoff be diverted to small holding ponds to help with the drainage, and when the bridge was replaced there were drainage ponds built in as well, so that helped even more. We havent had a really big rain since QT and Bos were finished, but they shouldnt be a factor since they just took up parking space in the church lot. It could also be that at some point the area was graded to handle future drainage needs, but I dont recall ever seeing an extra work being done for that.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:40 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,010,765 times
Quote:
That's what they did in Greenwood at CrossCreek Mall (now Greenwood Mall) when it was constructed. They deepened and rerouted the creek around the perimeter of the property with retaining walls.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:04 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,096,453 times
Diggers BBQ going in the old Five Guys spot. Like the Upstate needs another bbq joint. UGH!

Old 02-07-2016, 12:08 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
there used to be a BBQ place in that 5 Guys spot, it didn't last long.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:38 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,010,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Diggers BBQ going in the old Five Guys spot. Like the Upstate needs another bbq joint. UGH!
Yes many of them but not one that I can think of around that vicinity, a good one could do well. If Five Guys I mean Five Greases (yuck IMO) can make it anything can.

I thought the BBQ place that was in that spot before was open for quite some time. Not like it closed in six months.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:16 PM

453 posts, read 646,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
there used to be a BBQ place in that 5 Guys spot, it didn't last long.
...and, in fact, that BBQ place was Digger's! I really liked 'em when I first moved to Greenville, following them around at least three different locations (two locations on Haywood and one at Wade-Hampton and Pleasantburg). I loved them at the time, but when I gave their Taylors location a shot last year, it wasn't any great shakes. I'm not sure if they've gotten worse or if I just didn't know what good BBQ tasted like when I first moved here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Yes many of them but not one that I can think of around that vicinity
The Local Cue is on the other side of the mall. There used to be a BBQ joint where Illiano's is now that I really liked -- I think it was called We're Pigs BBQ -- but it wasn't long for the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Like the Upstate needs another bbq joint. UGH!
I'll never say 'no' to good BBQ, and it seems like more of these joints have closed than opened over the past few years.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 02-07-2016 at 03:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area