Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 05:39 PM

32 posts, read 100,010 times

Advertisements

Hey jmarq.
With comments like, "haha my Q/A wasn't really one" gives the inference your lacking maturity. It's only a post site. Say what you mean and mean what you say. You don't have to be so standoffish or confrontational.
These are only opinions and don't really mean a whole lot in the real world.
Forgive me for noticing however, you appear to be very opinionated and that's good. It's not really what you say. It's how you say it.
And more importantly, what's not said at all.

FYI, some of the best people I have ever met, were at one time or another considered criminals.

As for culture. We all carry that along with us wherever we go.
No need to worry about losing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 06:44 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,846,925 times
as for the Q&A, it was what my coworkers said to me and how I responded. didn't know any other way to word it than a Q&A. not really sure how that would infer that I lack maturity, although I don't deny it either.

as for criminals, I am not talking about someone who steals a candy bar or smokes a joint, I am talking about the bad ones. killers and people who do things to children, yes, I consider myself better than them.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 4,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post
exile, sorry to hear you're having such a bad experience with the upstate. I'm not going to argue your points, as it sounds you have some pretty deep rooted opinions on them. However, most of them are the stereotypical knocks on the south and I haven't experienced them to nearly the degree you have. I have run into the "chauvenistic" comment on several occassions, which is a new one for me. In one case it was opposite though....our closet designer said he better wait until my wife could come to the meeting. hahaha

Anyway, it sounds as though you live towards Spartanburg, which has a much less progressive edge than Greenville. Our general circle of life here in Greenville doesn't include most of your comments.

It is nice to hear of your experiences though. I suppose in any given population (of any region) you will find a segment that, unfortunately, fits your comments.
"stereotypical" "Anyway, it sounds as though you live towards Spartanburg"
Guess if the shoe fits maybe you should ware it too. Greenville/Spartanburg both have there good points. But the way the whole state is looking is very grim. Maybe you should spend more of your time on trying to make this state better than trying to point the finger at other areas. Most Dangerous States 2008 - AOL Money & Finance SC made the top 10 in several bad areas in fact I did not see any good area for SC. Kind of sad.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:55 PM

617 posts, read 2,572,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRizzo36 View Post
"stereotypical" "Anyway, it sounds as though you live towards Spartanburg"
Guess if the shoe fits maybe you should ware it too. Greenville/Spartanburg both have there good points. But the way the whole state is looking is very grim. Maybe you should spend more of your time on trying to make this state better than trying to point the finger at other areas. Most Dangerous States 2008 - AOL Money & Finance SC made the top 10 in several bad areas in fact I did not see any good area for SC. Kind of sad.
Do you actually live in SC? If you do then you should know that there are definitely good areas of this state, and if you don't then you probably shouldn't be posting such things. South Carolina may have "bad areas", as do all states, but those areas are the way they are because of the people there. Locals know of those places, and know to stay away. Just like any city has it's bad parts that you don't walk around in at 1 a.m.

And please, people...stop arguing over stupid things.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:13 PM

39 posts, read 147,606 times
I Can't Wait We Are Relocating To Greenville In 2 Weeks,what Do You Think Of Farmville Or Winterville??surrounding Towns??my Husbands Family Is From North Carolina,he Has Been Gone Away From There For 25 Years Now So
We Picked Greenville For Our Location. Thanks

Old 03-28-2008, 07:06 AM

423 posts, read 898,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canda View Post
I Can't Wait We Are Relocating To Greenville In 2 Weeks,what Do You Think Of Farmville Or Winterville??surrounding Towns??my Husbands Family Is From North Carolina,he Has Been Gone Away From There For 25 Years Now So
We Picked Greenville For Our Location. Thanks
You must be referring to Greenville NC, not Greenville SC. I've never heard of those towns.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,201 times
Default Please Yes I live in South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2y2r7o View Post
Do you actually live in SC? If you do then you should know that there are definitely good areas of this state, and if you don't then you probably shouldn't be posting such things. South Carolina may have "bad areas", as do all states, but those areas are the way they are because of the people there. Locals know of those places, and know to stay away. Just like any city has it's bad parts that you don't walk around in at 1 a.m.

And please, people...stop arguing over stupid things.

Please yes I live in South Carolina and I am not arguing . I am just stating facts. Having worked in law enforcement of over 10 year I know what issues South Carolina (Greenville and its surrounding area have.) Yes other states have there issues but considering the size of this state vs. its ploulation vs. its crime, its not as great as you think it is. I only posted to give information and to show that not only the people of other states but the people right here in South Carolina are stereotyping each other and we should all keep and open mind. Sorry if you did not understand my point.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,996 times
Default Don't trust the separatist such as idea driven BJU in your education

Recently I attended fundamental-separatist University, located in the downtown Greenville, SC. (The name in it self creates a passive feeling). This is bad university for students who never grow up with such an ideological culture (despite they call themselves a Christian, it is just another subculture). They believe in God and I would call my self a Christian. However, I think that 90% of God information there comes from the characters and sets of rules and ideas that certain people adopt. And that is the true nature of "god". Driven only by principles and ideas but not by complete analytical thinking.
I listened to too many chapel messages and they all were negative about the world outside, especially about the education, that public provides. It creatres only ideas and bad feelings for me. Now I evaluate all that happened with me and how they preach.
The only think that I would say that such subculture creates ideas for the society but not a good analytical and great logical thinking. I did not know all available information about that university; only thing that I was thinking it is that they proclaim to be Christian. They have too many ideologically based rules. What they calling Christ-like it is nothing more than follow theirs ideology. More than a half of my intellectual capability was bother by theirs ideas driven rules and strict enforcement. That was my daily worry too make sure that I follow the rules. This yielded to my failure in the educational endeavor.
Because of such “Christian” all controlling and enforcing ideology. I feel like they used me and I wasn't able to develop my way of learning. Such liberal arts university exits in order to create person that is just only able to think “Christ-like” or rather BJU-like ideology. DON'T TRUST THEM OR YOU WILL BE HURT .

Old 03-29-2008, 09:34 AM

617 posts, read 2,572,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRizzo36 View Post
Please yes I live in South Carolina and I am not arguing . I am just stating facts. Having worked in law enforcement of over 10 year I know what issues South Carolina (Greenville and its surrounding area have.) Yes other states have there issues but considering the size of this state vs. its ploulation vs. its crime, its not as great as you think it is. I only posted to give information and to show that not only the people of other states but the people right here in South Carolina are stereotyping each other and we should all keep and open mind. Sorry if you did not understand my point.
I understand your points, and I believe what you said. All I'm saying is that you're going to have good and bad areas. Me? I live in the North Main area, a minute from downtown. I don't see most of the problems that make South Carolina one of the "Most Dangerous States", and am very fortunate and thank my parents for that. I do think that something like that article can be very misleading, though. If someone reads that what do they think? Nowhere in SC is safe? That's where I have a problem, because it is definitely NOT true. There are many, many safe areas in this state where you can feel safe in your home or neighborhood, raise a family, walk around the block at night, stop by the 24-hour stores, etc.

Also, I believe the ranking of 1st in assaults can also be a little misleading. I think that I've read the majority of assaults are between husband and wife. So what's the moral of the story, here, kids? Don't marry some psycho that you met last week!

(And again, I think I read that, but I'm definitely not 100% sure.)

Old 03-29-2008, 11:15 AM

354 posts, read 1,077,497 times
I would like to congratulate you p2y2r70 on being such a mature and responsible young man. (I'm assuming you are a male from other posts I've read from you)
You are articulate and seem well-balanced. Good for you. Your parents should be proud!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area