Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 01:23 PM

354 posts, read 1,077,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
We're also getting packed up to move to Easley at the end of the month from California. Seems like everyone we mention it to says they have friends/family who live in the area who absolutely love it.
I hear the exact same thing from people here in the Northwest. Anyone who has friends or family there absolutely loves it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 01:33 PM

4 posts, read 7,798 times
Default Considering moving to Greenville

My wife and I are considering moving to Greenville but are trying to get some ideas of what areas are ideal. We are originally from the Northern VA area near DC and are tired of everything about this area (e.g. traffic, home prices, attitude) Do you have any suggestions about particular areas to move to in Greenville or to stay away from? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven.s View Post
I've been here a month and have had no regrets.
Lived in Maryland (DC area) for +10 years.
Never felt like home.
Originally from NY and NJ. I liked it there and probably would have considered going back if not for the cost of housing and harsh winters.

I feel at home in Greenville.
We are closing on a house next month. We are here for awhile.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,141 times
Oh I Need Help Someone. My Hubby And I Are Looking To Move Out To The Greenville Area. We Currently Live In Cleveland Ohio, And My Biggest Problem I See Is The School System In Greenville Get's Horrible Ratings. What Other Cities Are Close By That Have A Great School System? As A Mom Of 2 Little One's That Is The #1 Thing At This Time. I Would Appreciate The Feedback. Thanks.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:46 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginat View Post
Oh I Need Help Someone. My Hubby And I Are Looking To Move Out To The Greenville Area. We Currently Live In Cleveland Ohio, And My Biggest Problem I See Is The School System In Greenville Get's Horrible Ratings. What Other Cities Are Close By That Have A Great School System? As A Mom Of 2 Little One's That Is The #1 Thing At This Time. I Would Appreciate The Feedback. Thanks.
Lol if Greenville's got bad ratings I don't wanna know what ratings any other cities have.

I could be completely wrong though.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,084 times
Default thinking of relocating to greenville sc

hi everyone i have a question iam thinking of relocating to greenville sc i have heard a lot of good things about it what are some of the nice areas of greenville to live?

Old 06-23-2008, 10:54 PM
B&R

148 posts, read 316,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginat View Post

I am not sure where the horrible ratings you refer to came from. Under the rating system Newsweek magazine uses there were nine Greenville County high schools rated in the top 5% in the country. Oddly enough, there were none listed there from Cleveland.

America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

There were some schools from the Cleveland area suburbs like Solon, Chagrin Falls, and Shaker Heights but it appears there were more from Greenville County than Cleveland (even counting the suburbs) despite Cleveland being a significantly larger area.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:38 PM

156 posts, read 151,725 times
I have heard that G'ville has pretty good schools actually.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:57 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRizzo36 View Post
"stereotypical" "Anyway, it sounds as though you live towards Spartanburg"
[FONT=Verdana]Guess if the shoe fits maybe you should ware it too. Greenville/Spartanburg both have there good points. But the way the whole state is looking is very grim. Maybe you should spend more of your time on trying to make this state better than trying to point the finger at other areas. [URL="http://money.aol.com/mortgage/most-dangerous-states"]Most Dangerous States 2008 - AOL Money & Finance[/URL] SC made the top 10 in several bad areas in fact I did not see any good area for SC. Kind of sad. [/FONT]
Regarding your link: notice that the safest states listed are NH, ME, ND, SD, VT, MT & WY?

Of course they are! Half the year it's too cold to go outside! It also must be more difficult to rob someone if you are wearing mittens. Wyoming is a little obvious - nobody lives there. There are only 515,000 people in the entire state.

BTW, although I grew up in MA, I lived in NH for many years, and I wouldn't write "no need to lock your doors" as the article suggests. Sure that's true if you live in a chalet on a mountain road, but cities like Nashua, Manchester & Salem all have their share of crime.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,887 times
My husband & I love it here, BUT, jobs are very scarce. My husband works in a specialized field of medical imaging and one of the biggest employers will not rehire him after he was hurt on the job and needed recuperation time. We did a job relocation with the company, he was injured after 8 months on the job, could not mend within the alloted 12 weeks FMLA, so was fired. His position has since been filled and there are no other employers for this type of job in the area. He has been looking for over 4 months. Myself, seems I'm either "under-qualified" or "over-qualified" for anything I am finding. Unfortunately, we are looking at having to move elsewhere based on the job market.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:00 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppingcarty View Post
My husband & I love it here, BUT, jobs are very scarce. My husband works in a specialized field of medical imaging and one of the biggest employers will not rehire him after he was hurt on the job and needed recuperation time. We did a job relocation with the company, he was injured after 8 months on the job, could not mend within the alloted 12 weeks FMLA, so was fired. His position has since been filled and there are no other employers for this type of job in the area. He has been looking for over 4 months. Myself, seems I'm either "under-qualified" or "over-qualified" for anything I am finding. Unfortunately, we are looking at having to move elsewhere based on the job market.
He may need to change fields. I don't think there is a high demand for medical imaging. In Greenville its either engineering, nursing, manufacturing, retail, etc. I've never heard of a big demand for medical imaging. What is your background? The saying overqualified or underqualified is just a way for them saying they've already found what they were looking for. I've been there. Consider something different than what you are used to. I've done it and its worked! Greenville has one the lowest unemployment rates in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area