Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2012, 09:01 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am not sure how to start, so I am just going to jump right in.

My dad was diagnosed with Melanoma 6 months ago. He was perfectly healthy except for a patch of skin that didn't seem to be healing. He took a couple of weeks to get it checked out because he was working 60 hour weeks and thought that it was just a sign of getting older (65) that his little wound just wasn't healing quickly. They discovered that it was very aggressive so they took a very aggressive route with treatment. Unfortunately, it spread quickly to his brain and started impacting his speech and motor skills. In August, he went from working 60 hours a week on his feet to barely being able to walk to the bathroom. For the past month, he was completely bed ridden and my mom (his wife of 43 years) became his caregiver. He passed at 4:35 on Wednesday morning with my mom and my sisters at his side. He was the head of the family. He was the rock.

One thing that made this much harder is that my brother is in prison for an accident that happened a few years ago. We were able to get him a furlough a couple of weeks ago to come home and see Dad one more time. That was such a blessing because we didn't think that would be possible.

The day after his passing was my DD's 8th birthday. That has been a blessing and a curse. My poor daughter's birthday will always have a sadness with it, but at the same time we have something to celebrate to help lift out spirits. Her party is today because we are trying to keep her life as normal as possible under these circumstances. We have his services tomorrow.

So far, I am grieving but am ok.

I was happy to stumble across this forum. I am much more active over in Parenting and just happened to stumble across this today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 09:10 AM

379 posts, read 533,235 times
Hi num1baby. I am so sorry for the loss of your dad. What a tragic story, it is amazing how quickly the melanoma spread.

You have come to the right place here, for we all have lost someone we love and understand what you are going through. You are just beginning your grieving process. Take your time, there is no right or wrong way to grieve. We are here for you to help you through this.

Keep us posted on how you are doing. We all care.

God bless,
tngirl

Old 11-17-2012, 10:25 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Wow Num1baby...that is a huge loss. Sorry.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:40 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Welcome, num1baby. I'm so sorry about your dad. (((HUGS)))

Happy birthday to your daughter.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:00 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:30 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
Welcome num1baby! I'm so sorry you lost your dad. That's hard, especially near the holidays. I hope you'll drop in and let us know how you're doing.

I know how you feel about your daughter's birthday. My mother-in-law died the day after my son's 8th birthday. The good news is that he wasn't tuned into what day she died, really, so over the years it hasn't been an issue. We would mention it in passing, out of earshot of him, but made sure to focus on his special day. We didn't want him to grow up associating his birthday with the day his grandmother passed, as he was young enough that he was sad, but not devestated, and now doesn't really remember her (he's 23).

Old 11-18-2012, 01:21 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,215,642 times
Num1baby,

I am so sorry to hear the loss of your Rock, your Daddy. He sounded like a awesome husband, father and friend.

Melanoma is referred to as the MONSTER. It is one of the most aggressive cancers, if not caught in time.

Please continue to share your journey with us. We are all ears. WElcome.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:58 AM

Woo whoo, Marcy and tn. Peyton did it. I saw the last quarter after the Pats steamrolled over the Colts.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:53 PM

Ooops, it's not the NY Giants we are playing Thursday, it's the NY Jets.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:14 PM

379 posts, read 533,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Woo whoo, Marcy and tn. Peyton did it. I saw the last quarter after the Pats steamrolled over the Colts.
Peyton is playing for the Broncos....you got that, right? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning