Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 02:51 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueprnova View Post
I guess it's time to introduce myself over here. I'm Sue - I've wandered these boards for a while now. My husband died May 29th this year after an almost 3 year battle with lung cancer.
I made it through Thanksgiving. December will be the test. His birthday 21st and our anniversary Dec 30th. I will probably drink a lot
Happy Saturday
I'm so sorry to hear about your hubby, Sue. (((HUGS))) This will be a hard time for you. Please know that we are here for you to rant, cry, shout out to the world. I've already started my drinking for the season. Cheers for all of us here. God Bless and guide you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 09:12 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
It has been 15 years now. And I am making progress on holidays. For years I ignored them, I would purposely volunteer to work to avoid any holiday "cheer". I sent my kids off to be with their Dad.

The last few years, I have actually acted sort of normal. Time heals all things. For those of you racked with pain, believing you will never be happy again...I promise you, it will get better.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:48 PM

379 posts, read 533,410 times
Quote:
I guess it's time to introduce myself over here. I'm Sue - I've wandered these boards for a while now. My husband died May 29th this year after an almost 3 year battle with lung cancer.
I made it through Thanksgiving. December will be the test. His birthday 21st and our anniversary Dec 30th. I will probably drink a lot
Happy Saturday
Hi sue, I think I have seen you over at the Retirement forum. That's where I used to hang out until my world changed on 4-1-12 when my husband of 32 years passed away. I am so sorry for the loss of your husband. I know how you are feeling.

I am glad you found us here, this forum has been a godsend for me. A lot of caring, supportive people here who don't judge and offer love and encouragement. I hope you will come here often and let us know how you are doing.

I hope you make it through December.

God bless,
tngirl

Old 11-25-2012, 06:16 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,216,684 times
Default I am sorry to hear you lost your dear husband.

Quote:
Happy Saturday
I lost my husband June 27th, hardest day of my life. December 17th we would have celebrated our 35th anniversary, we lived in sin for 3 years prior. For Thanksgiving, since I have no family or close friends, I locked myself in the house, drank a bottle of wine, phoned my brother and he told me that I am not a likeable person and told me all the things I did to him over 35 years ago and that is the reason he is mean to me. He told me our father doesn't like me, either. He slammed the phone down and that was the last i will hear from him. He has been a jerk to me all my life and he never phoned me and told me how sorry he was to hear about my husband dying. He is self centered.

If I made it through Thanksgiving, anyone can make it through it. And Christmas will be just me. With no family or friends, I might just walk downtown and see if others are walking alone, maybe talk to a homeless person and try to cheer them up.

Hugs,
Smilin

Old 11-26-2012, 03:44 PM

OMG, smilin'! How uncouth of your brother! I am so sorry you had to go through that. I'm more than sorry as you can see by my smilie. Good riddance to bad rubbish I say. (((HUGS)))

Old 11-27-2012, 02:00 PM

I bought 4 new replacement windows for my "other" house yesterday. I have 15 but could onky manage 4 of them. They are made by Owens-Corning and I'm amazed at how efficient they are. I had sticker shock but with thier 10% "off season" and BJ's 10% for being a member, I got $1,100 off. Total, complete warrenty for everything for life and it's transferable if I ever sell.

The replacements that are in there, the old owners put in. Cheap, leaky and can't see through them when the humidity is there. The guy showed me they lose 67% of my heat! That 67 cents on every dollar I spend on heat in the winter! Not good. These new Owens-Corning ones make that go down to .01. Not bad at all. Just wish I could get all 15 done at the same time but no deal. A couple of years ago I could've but not now. Oh well. The discounts are good for 2 years, so I could buy some more next year and the next year and get most all of them done. Good deal for being a BJ's member.

AND...if I win the contest, I get my money back from the deposit and get all of the windows done. Got my fingers crossed.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:37 PM

379 posts, read 533,410 times
Well look at you!! Good for you!!! YOU GO GIRL!

Old 11-27-2012, 07:39 PM

971 posts, read 1,453,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
i bought 4 new replacement windows for my "other" house yesterday. I have 15 but could onky manage 4 of them. They are made by owens-corning and i'm amazed at how efficient they are. I had sticker shock but with thier 10% "off season" and bj's 10% for being a member, i got $1,100 off. Total, complete warrenty for everything for life and it's transferable if i ever sell.

The replacements that are in there, the old owners put in. Cheap, leaky and can't see through them when the humidity is there. The guy showed me they lose 67% of my heat! That 67 cents on every dollar i spend on heat in the winter! Not good. These new owens-corning ones make that go down to .01. Not bad at all. Just wish i could get all 15 done at the same time but no deal. A couple of years ago i could've but not now. Oh well. The discounts are good for 2 years, so i could buy some more next year and the next year and get most all of them done. Good deal for being a bj's member.

And...if i win the contest, i get my money back from the deposit and get all of the windows done. got my fingers crossed.
{{{good job}}} (((hugs)))

Old 11-28-2012, 12:24 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
Tami, I live in a condo and our HOA notified all the condo owners on Nov. 1, 2009 (a week after Bob died) that we had until December 31, 2012 to replace all our windows. They told us the brand, style, color, etc. I finally did it this summer. Since I'm in a condo (3BR/2BA 2000 sq ft) I only have 9 windows and a sliding door, but it was horrendously expensive. Home Depot gave me their Friendly Financing deal of no interest for 24 months if I pay the entire balance due by June 2014. Sigh.... I've also replaced the dining room carpet with hardwood (necessity ~~non-house trained Yorkie); the DW, sink, faucet & disposal in the kitchen (necessity~~DW died & one thing led to another...); and all the lighting (choice). All the time kept thinking, "What would Bob do..What would Bob do..."

What a good deal you got! Good for you! One step at a time and you're doing great.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:33 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
Hi all, I haven't been here for awhile as I went back into my "slump". As I posted earlier, my Mom died in Feb. and I've gone in and out of bouts of depression/grief since then. I had an epidural injection for back pain about a month ago, and boy, those steroids really pumped me up. I got a lot accomplished, and really thought it was jump-starting my normal life again. But then I went to a memorial Mass on All Souls' Day (my Mom was one of those memorialized) and it seemed to set off my grief all over again.

Anyway, I had a session with a medium last week. I had been wanting to do it for months (trying to find answers, hear something from my Mom, reach some kind of peace) but I kept putting it off. Finally I went with my young cousin, who had lost her friend suddenly (OD) and was in the same situation as me, hoping for answers or messages. We went to a medium who was highly recommended by a friend who had lost her husband.

Well, as it turned out, I didn't really get any messages from Mom. I tried to be open, receptive and not skeptical, but I suppose I was expecting a "Long Island Medium" type of experience. ("Your mom says she heard everything you were saying to her at her bedside...."). The woman was a pleasant woman in her late 60's, did mention a couple things/names that were meaningful (also mentioned some that were not), but overall just kind of gave me a bunch of generic spiritual/psycho/astrological/motivational-speak. I had been thinking that my Mom would be mad at my spending so much money on something she would consider ridiculous, so I had anticipated that she wouldn't cooperate, and she didn't! LOL!

Anyway, I know it sounds crazy, but I had been hoping that this session would bring me the closure I needed. I'd hear from my Mom, I would know she was at peace, and I could move on with my life. Well, now I'm back to feeling like she's just "gone"....so I just have to deal with it. By the way, my cousin felt the same way I did about the session -- as in, unsatisfied. I felt bad since she spent her hard-earned money on it, and it was someone I had recommended.

So, there you have it -- my trip report from "the PA medium".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning