Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 04:34 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,338,711 times

Advertisements

Travelassie, from what I understand someone at the MaW headquarters made it impossible. Two weeks back the SC office sent two of their staff to the headquarters back in Arizona (I quote the volunteer) "to try to get the the person who arranges these things to understand, but I guess it won't happen". My honest guess is that this person doesn't believe in my daughter's dream because she's not 4 yet, and stands in the way. There is obviously no scheduling conflict today since the band is meeting other kids. Anyway, if people at MaW really don't want to make it happen, fine, but just tell us so. It's been 6 months!

Old 10-27-2014, 07:17 AM

819 posts, read 1,595,638 times
Sorry you are having to go thru this. Please get a local TV station involved and let them find out "the rest of the story."

Old 10-27-2014, 07:29 PM

15,022 posts, read 12,231,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Travelassie, from what I understand someone at the MaW headquarters made it impossible. Two weeks back the SC office sent two of their staff to the headquarters back in Arizona (I quote the volunteer) "to try to get the the person who arranges these things to understand, but I guess it won't happen". My honest guess is that this person doesn't believe in my daughter's dream because she's not 4 yet, and stands in the way. There is obviously no scheduling conflict today since the band is meeting other kids. Anyway, if people at MaW really don't want to make it happen, fine, but just tell us so. It's been 6 months!

Geez, so it sounds as though someone at the MAW headquarters just plain stymied your daughter's wishes, because in her opinion seeing this band is not appropriate for such a young child?! Then didn't have the courtesy, I don't know any other way to put it, to let you know of her thoughts in this regard or her intentions that it would not happen. I can see where the MAW folks have to sort through the wishes they get, and I know they get some inappropriate wishes ( you should have seen some of the wishes the families of the kids treated in the clinic I worked for would ask for sometimes!) that have to be denied, but I can't see where Miranda's was one of those, and I don't think it's up to anyone else but you to make the judgement call as to whether or not its appropriate for Miranda to meet her favorite band. And then not to even let you know it wasn't going to happen- although that might have been because the local MAW folks hoped they could persuade the headquarters folks to make arrangements for this to happen.

I'm sorry it had to go that way, and I hope that when this disappointment is behind you, you and Miranda have lots and lots of good things to look forward to...

Old 10-27-2014, 09:28 PM

Guys! I am so happy...
Miracles happen. Yesterday I was so upset I vented to friends from the Moms club... And this afternoon, around 4, one my mom friends called to tell me we had to be at the concert venue around 6.15 because there would be a meet and greet with the band, and our names were on the list! Typical case of "someone who knows someone who knows someone"... And we got to meet them! We didn't tell Miranda at all, just that we had to rush to some place crowded and noisy, but that we were going to meet someone special... You should have seen her face when they showed up. We all got hugs, a photographer took a picture (personal photos not allowed), and when we left I was the one in tears because I was so happy and in shock it had really happened. It really came out of nowhere... but it did happen. I guess it was really meant to happen today, one way or another?
Now I think I have to tell MaW about it...

Thanks y'all for allowing me to vent, and bear with my frustration.
Cyn, sorry I hijacked your thread...

Old 10-27-2014, 09:34 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,219,654 times
Now that is awesome news Sudcaro I bet sweet pea was beaming.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:27 AM

Hello everyone.
I haven't slept last night, I was so overwhelmed, it's crazy... Miranda had a hard time going to sleep too.

Check this out! That's us:

Lady Antebellum, Friends Sing for Charity - WJBF-TV ABC 6 Augusta-Aiken

(end of hijacking thread, I promise)

Old 10-28-2014, 07:54 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,353,983 times
That is to cool Sudcaro! It's funny because I have written back and forth on FB to Morgan Fogarty from our local Fox news station here. She recently had a baby and is really into taking care of those people in situations like yours. I was writing her on FB when I stopped to jump back and see if I could find a contact number for her for you and read this post. Best news yet!! What a beautiful picture...will always be a treasure!
Foggy and damp here today. Go figure--I just went out and bought a cheapo humidifier. My skin has been so itchy and my eyes burn so I figured it was the heater drying out the air. I also got a new good heater filter but charged that at Lowes. Still have to pay but at least not today! Smile. I have been trying so hard to list things and I have to really admire how my DH did such a great job at that. He's put up so many things in one day and it seems to take me forever. Course I have to do other things in-between...or so I think I do! Anyhow I gave a very low offer price on my DH's Snap-On mechanics tool box---it is several in one--stacked and worth probably $10,000 if I had more of the tools still in it but I have been selling those individually trying to just keep things going here. Anyhow this is the man that came out and spent the entire day Saturday going through many of those boxes in my shop---plus he really wants it so I made him a deal he can't refuse but I am keeping the tools. I hope he takes it. Maybe he will keep trying to find some buyers for some of those things out there! Fingers crossed. Anyhow back to listing so an extra hug for my baby Miranda and her mama for the prayers being answered!

Old 10-28-2014, 10:19 AM

Thanks Cyn.
And now, you know what I look like
Big hugs.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:06 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,181,409 times
Cyn, one of the best portable space heaters you can get is the radiator oil filled type. Reason being the oil stays warm even after the heating element shuts off between cycles and there is less chance of accidental fires with this type. There is no exposed heating element. It's all enclosed. Much safer. I've been using them for years.
And yes a humidifier is a must in winter. Especially in my part of the country. Last winter, our worst in 30 years, mine was going through 5 gallons a day putting moisture in the house. You can also set containers of water close to your heating outlets or boil some on your kitchen stove to bring up the humidity. I have had serious sinus problems for years. If the house gets too dried out I get nose bleeds and sinus infections. Also a good idea is to have a vaporizer in your bedroom. With or without the Vicks.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:14 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,353,983 times
Thank you Robhu for the information! Funny because I have been using those radiator oil filled type for 2 years now...since I decided no more gas in my house. I have a heat pump in the den where I am most of the time anyhow and that is electric and use the portable heaters for showers and in the kitchen. I get nose bleeds as well so that is another reason I wanted some moisture in the air. This one is small enough to take in the bedroom with me at night and the put it in the den during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning