Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 11:03 AM

218 posts, read 207,807 times

Advertisements

Sorry to say, your stress factors are too common, I think especially as one ages.

I find my self less able to deal with ridding myself of mostly sentimental junk.. some isn't really junk, but I know my children don't want any of it... or very little of it. Loss of wife doubles the problem I had anyway.

I am fortunate to have worked for 40 years building a retirement pension. If I had only social security.. it wouldn't come close to meeting my needs.. then I have real value (estate) I would have to sell to bring my operating costs down and give me a cash reserve. For now I remain in the house/property I shared with my wife for over 25 years. It cost me way too much to stay here, but as I can now afford it, I stay.. and expect to stay here for at least a couple more years unless my health crashes.. and that surely is a possibility.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:16 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,328,487 times
Now Jerry--you stop selling yourself short as far as your health goes. You are still a spry young man in your heart--look at all you do for those dogs. That takes energy and good health. I know you feel beat down with the loss of your beloved wife but you (we) will get through this. I know many days I feel like I just can't make it but I do. You worked hard to have those things you have and you deserve them so enjoy them!

It's very cold here today---low 30's again. Looks like fall has arrived! Maybe I won't have to mow the lawn now--we'll see. This next Sunday my girlfriend and I are taking the day to ride through the Southern Park mountains in NC to enjoy the amazing leaves and their vibrant colors. We're taking my car because she drives 5 days a week delivering mail and would enjoy not having to drive. That will be fine for me cause I'll have the company!

Old 10-19-2015, 05:46 AM

Cyn,

Thanks, only 23 degrees here in central NJ this morning 7 AM... first hard freeze, had a couple 30 degree freezes.

The fall colors seem to come in small patches - may be my expectations are two high, this bing my first fall alone makes it look and feel different, I avoid the deeper troubled words, seems saying them doesn't help.

I have the neighbor dogs again, so surrounded by three dogs most of the time until they go home on Wednesday

I have a visit with a few of my family members and my buddy and best man coming up. I am sure that will improve my spirit and will include some driving with my buddy and sight seeing of spots I somehow have never gotten around to seeing..

Old 10-20-2015, 05:29 AM

Looks like a busy week here. I am filling in for another worker at work tomorrow and then I work Thursday and Saturday. I need the money so it is a good thing although I wears me out. I guess I am just not use to it. Looks like I have some getting use to the cold again too! Sure did do a fast temperature change here!
Enjoy visiting with friends and family Jerry--I am sure it will lift your spirits.
Everyone have a blessed day!

Old 10-20-2015, 05:47 AM

Work and other physical activity can take some time to build the physical condition. Please be sure not to take on too many extra hours too soon.

Off to the shelter this am, some business work, then bereavement meeting... more than my usual calendar. This may make me tired before bed time.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:25 AM

You are sounding like me with my schedule this week Jerry! But it seems when I am at work even though I miss my home and critters terribly I know I am working to feed and care for them so it makes it easier. I also need to help my neighbor who has ALS as his daughter and her husband who are usually living there too and help will be gone on a cruise so they asked if I could help the mother with her husband---and the young grandchildren will also be there so I will do what ever they need. They have been angels for me.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:12 PM

Cyn,

Good neighbors is a two way street, happy you have one or more.

When the shelter staffer brought Lola into the public area she was so excited to see me he had trouble holding her so he could but the "adopt me" harness on her. I joined him and still she was such a bag of wiggles we were strained to accomplish the hook up. When I took her to the street, shelter is in a strip mall, and there is a pool equipment place then a small branch library before I get to the passage to the grass area behind, I put her right down for fear of dropping her. I usually carry her to the grass area to prevent any accidents on the sidewalk. This time we were stopped by a woman who was interested in her (this has happened before, library customers, not the pool place) and said she was having problems with a high cost puppy.. I suggested even if she wanted to try a second dog to see if that helps settle her puppy down, she should consider applying for a Foster care of Lola. Lola is hypoallergenic (I believe) to just take Lola on a Foster basis, the lady said she can have allergy problems.

I plan to take Lola to the November adoption event, and have asked that she be given a "Westie-like" cut by the groomer, not a short cut like she got when I last asked for a grooming six months ago. The benefit of the short cut was I could see how she looks at different hair lengths.. she looks best with the hair long enough to show it is curly and has a nice color pattern, but not so long it covers her eyes... somewhat like the Westie almond shaped eyes of a Westie... deep dark pools.

My two house guest dogs go home tomorrow, and Jasper will stay at their home while I'm gone, and the lady said she'd drive me to and back from the airport so I don't have to deal with parking and the $100+ cost. Again, good neighbors are great to be and have.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:08 AM

I rechecked my calendar and it's next Wed. I fill in for the other worker so I still have today off! Guess I'll just keep listing with hope of some sales on ebay. Even our pet store is slower the usual so maybe it's just the time of year. Beautiful sunrise!

Old 10-21-2015, 02:07 PM

Safe travels Jerry!

Old 10-22-2015, 05:47 AM

Thanks, Cyn. I have many miles under my belt but I still mentally hold my breath when the airplane rolls down the runway.

I also worry about my dog and my remote-foster dogs at the shelter... yes, and my house, when I am away. No longer have to worry about my wife at home alone, and it will be hard not to telephone her to tell her I have arrived safely and to hear she is well. I worried about my wife not locking doors and asked her to have them locked as the sun goes down.

This family is my strongest friend connection, family-like friends. The only complaint I have is when I take their dogs in they never communicate with me and leave undefined what hour they will arrive to get their dogs. I think they have that gift of being able to separate themselves from worry and focus on fun and whatever it is that takes them away from home.

Just occurs to me, I'll Text the lady caring for dog Jasper when the plane lands. May work as a suggestion to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.