Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 07:49 AM

815 posts, read 985,465 times

Advertisements

We've gotten a lot of rain here in north Florida. Almost 9 inches this month, and the average for May is 3 inches. We really needed it, but I am tired of everything being wet and damp, not to mention the mud being dragged in daily by the dogs....
We had to have pest control come spray for palmetto bugs. We are surrounded by live oak trees, which is apparently one of their favorite habitats, and all the rain has driven them into our house. Specifically the attic. And while the guys were up there spraying, they discovered several leaks.
We knew we would need a new roof sooner rather than later, but I guess we have to get busy and get that done. I really hate trying to find a reputable roofing company and getting bids, etc. The good news is that this is a planned expense, so we have the money in savings (not that I am looking forward to spending it on something as boring as a new roof).

Cyn, if you still have stuff to sell, I would definitely make that a priority. Hope you get a break from the rain soon. We've got sun here right now, but that can change in an instant

Old 05-31-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
cyn I do understand......and don't mean to diminish that at all. When we moved we had to consider that we had memorial plantings in the yard including a Japanese pine for his father and hydrangeas because his mother loves them and cremains/ ashes of my parents and his father and three beloved fur babies.....in a memorial garden out back. We knew we really wanted to move.....so I blessed the living plants and told them goodbye.....and dug up several trowels full of the earth where the cremains were buried to bring with us and now that sits on the family altar where I light candles in memory of loved ones who have passed. I also have photographs on the altar and a religious figure. That works for me. The fur babies spirits are still in Maine with the woods and trails in back of that house and they are also with us as part of the family.

That works for me......I don't feel as if I left them; our parents are with us as we carry them in our hearts. I feel very close to all of them.

I know that the new owners of our former house had planned to cut and mow all the gardens....he had a riding mower and was devoted to mono-culture yards.....and could hardly wait to start his engine. My kids who lived in maine and some friends came and helped themselves to Japanese willows, daylilies and many of my perennials.

Just saying.....that worked for me and gave me the freedom to move. I would never want to go back and see the old place.....one of my sons did and said....from the front the lilacs and hydrangeas were still there......and I know the 300 naturalized daffodils that I planted along the wood lot boarder.....are still going strong. In my mind it is as I left it.
What a wonderful way of dealing with that situation, elston!

Old 05-31-2018, 06:49 PM

354 posts, read 418,239 times
Hi Cynn and Eltson and others,
Cynn and I go way back along with Elston.

Cynn I can so relate to you and I am sorry for all of your losses. You have been through so much but you keep upbeat and continue on and I admire you in so many ways, you are an inspiration and thank you

Elston I am sorry to hear about your DH becoming ill and I am relieved to know he was able to see the Doctor right away. I wish for him a speedy recovery.

I believe life is not as easy as it once was. Life was so simple, less things to break down. I am constantly fixing my house, putting money into it. It was not built all that well. I recently became ill and I am doing all I can to have optimum health by losing weight and exercising and eating the right foods. I go to dentist twice a year for cleaning and cracked a tooth (acorn)..no more acorns for me and two cavities. The cost $1400. About six months ago I was driving home and the sun blinded me during sunset and I drove into a empty lot driving 34mph. I had to get damage fixed yestereay at a tune of $900 . If it is not one thing, it is another and my income went down so I have to cut corners. I know at 63 years old, there are more years behind me than in front of me so I have developed an I don't give a hoot attitude. I don't worry as much like I use to. I am very social and I belong to two clubs and I have a group of friends. I think that is the key to living is to be social and surround yourself with lots of good people. I do not have family, my social life takes place for that. And my dog is the love of my life. She fits me perfect and I tell her every day I could not live without her. She will be my last dog but she sure keeps me company and she loves to snuggle.

I wish all of you a blessed life and good health. Taking one day at a time and living it to its fullest. Hugs!!

Old 05-31-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite60 View Post

Cynn I can so relate to you and I am sorry for all of your losses. You have been through so much but you keep upbeat and continue on and I admire you in so many ways, you are an inspiration and thank you

Elston I am sorry to hear about your DH becoming ill and I am relieved to know he was able to see the Doctor right away. I wish for him a speedy recovery.

I believe life is not as easy as it once was. Life was so simple, less things to break down. I am constantly fixing my house, putting money into it. It was not built all that well. I recently became ill and I am doing all I can to have optimum health by losing weight and exercising and eating the right foods. I go to dentist twice a year for cleaning and cracked a tooth (acorn)..no more acorns for me and two cavities. The cost $1400. About six months ago I was driving home and the sun blinded me during sunset and I drove into a empty lot driving 34mph. I had to get damage fixed yestereay at a tune of $900 . If it is not one thing, it is another and my income went down so I have to cut corners. I know at 63 years old, there are more years behind me than in front of me so I have developed an I don't give a hoot attitude. I don't worry as much like I use to. I am very social and I belong to two clubs and I have a group of friends. I think that is the key to living is to be social and surround yourself with lots of good people. I do not have family, my social life takes place for that. And my dog is the love of my life. She fits me perfect and I tell her every day I could not live without her. She will be my last dog but she sure keeps me company and she loves to snuggle.

I wish all of you a blessed life and good health. Taking one day at a time and living it to its fullest. Hugs!!
Very well said, Granite.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:01 AM

32,981 posts, read 36,491,976 times
It's always there. Today, someone accused me of being snarky. I can't even finish this post.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:40 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,345,111 times
Well I for one think you are about the farthest thing from "snarky". Some people just have to hurt others and it's sad. I appreciate your post it is very helpful. We are so close to the same age and I see you out enjoying yourself with groups and friends. That's an area I need to work on. Losing my dogs was a real horrible hurt for me. It will be a struggle for me for awhile. Things break and as you said it seems harder now days since everything costs so much. I just have to figure it out.
Molly you are very smart to have planned and saved for having your roof replaced. Since the passing of my husband I just have not had the time to save for much of anything it seems. Hopefully I will be able to work on that now.
Hope everyone has a blessed day!

Old 06-01-2018, 05:52 AM

48,230 posts, read 22,044,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite60 View Post

Hello Granite....always good to see you post and there is so much wisdom in this one. I am sorry for the financial and household problems.......it does seem that life used to be more simple. I tell my DH that I wish we were renting and not paying a mortgage....there isnt anyone to call when you are the owner.

I am sending wishes to everyone for a good day and weekend. We made it thru another week....at least almost.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:42 AM

Sorry Granite--it was early and am fighting a brain fog it seems----I got your post confused with Garania--guess they both start with a "G". That's my excuse anyhow! Thank you for a lovely caring post!! You are indeed a good friend!

Old 06-01-2018, 01:42 PM

Today has been a big struggle for me. I am tired of feeling poorly both physically and mentally. In fact I am just flat out tired of struggling! I only got one weeks pay on this paycheck because of that week they didn't give me any hours. There is never a good time to be short on hours at work!
I know the weather isn't helping with the very hot humid rainy conditions and then this is 3 years ago today that was the last day my step daughter walked this earth--sad. Hopefully being at work will keep my mind busy tonight! Time to pull up those "big" girl panties and go to work!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 06-01-2018 at 02:06 PM..

Old 06-02-2018, 04:05 AM

Good morning one and all. It was hectic last night at work---the new manager was training a new girl for a key holder position. She took all of my hours for this next week except for one day to use to train her. I was so upset so she told me to call the district manager and talk to him so I did. Not sure if we got things worked out but it sounded like we may have. Praying this works out. The good thing is I have that 10 day and then a 6 day pet sitting jobs coming up next week so that will surely help. Just need to keep the faith!
Have a lovely day everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning