Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 04:25 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,400,668 times

Advertisements

thanks for that info and I'll bust out the instructions today. I took it apart yesterday (Definitely not XDm easy to get apart) and saw that copper stuff, but was too lazy to clean it luckily.. plus the weather sucked and there was no way I was going to be able to shoot it.
This will not be a carry gun or primary home defense. I just always wanted a Glock and I want a 9mm to save on ammo costs. If I ever decide to carry, my SP101 in .357 Magnum will be what I will go with because I would only trust a revolver that close to such precious body parts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 04:48 PM

607 posts, read 1,334,494 times
Congrats, rd2007! I'm looking forward to witnessing, and learning along, as you get to know your Glock.

And thanks lifelongMOgal, for the valuable knowledge you've shared with us newbies. Firearms certainly are things to take seriously: safety first! On your advice I have learned the Four Rules of Firearms. I'm sure I'll be seeking further advice once I get my own Glock.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:13 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
thanks for that info and I'll bust out the instructions today. I took it apart yesterday (Definitely not XDm easy to get apart) and saw that copper stuff, but was too lazy to clean it luckily.. plus the weather sucked and there was no way I was going to be able to shoot it.
This will not be a carry gun or primary home defense. I just always wanted a Glock and I want a 9mm to save on ammo costs. If I ever decide to carry, my SP101 in .357 Magnum will be what I will go with because I would only trust a revolver that close to such precious body parts...
One doesn't need good weather. You can "dry fire" a GLOCK without concern and without "blanks" or "snap caps".

Remove all ammunition from the room.

With the firearm pointed in a safe direaction and a solid backstop:

Verify that no one else is in the room or downrange.

Remove the magazine from the gun.

Cycle the slide to eject any round.

Lock back the slide to visually and digitally confirm that the gun is not loaded. After confirming an empty magazine well and empty chamber let the slide go forward.

Again confirm no one is downrange, that the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction with the magazine out of the confirmed unloaded firearm.

Practice obtaining sight picture and trigger control. Sight alignment, concentrate on the top blade of the front sight (not the dot), take up slack, slowly press the trigger to the rear to the surprise break, keep the trigger held back, and slowly let the trigger forward to "reset" all the while keeping focused on the front sight. Cycle the slide and repeat the process.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:27 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Funny, I'm not impressed with you either.

The point of my argument: Ported is not necessarily bad, nor are ported guns just "toys" or porting done to "look cool" . It was done for a purpose... and like most thing pertaining to guns it is a compromise. In reality, it comes down to preference.

I like ported weapons, Mr fussy britches here doesn't.

I'm also a full civie now and have been for several years, if anyone cares to know. I do miss guns with "happy switches" though.

I've never referred to ported pistols as "toys"nor did I suggest porting was bad. Of course porting has its purpose, to reduce felt recoil. However, there are a number of problems inherent with using ported pistols as a primary self defense tool, and, you have failed to acknowledge them. It is a compromise that doesn't need to be made, IMO, for CCW or for serious work purposes.

Glad I live in a state where I can dial that selector switch to "full fun" without having to be LE.

Oh, and that is Miss fussy britches to you.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:30 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I've never referred to ported pistols as "toys"nor did I suggest porting was bad. Of course porting has its purpose, to reduce felt recoil. However, there are a number of problems inherent with using ported pistols as a primary self defense tool, and, you have failed to acknowledge them. It is a compromise that doesn't need to be made, IMO, for CCW or for serious work purposes.

Glad I live in a state where I can dial that selector switch to "full fun" without having to be LE.

Oh, and that is Miss fussy britches to you.
Sorry, M'lady.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:04 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
Quote:
exactly why there is always a round in the chamber of every one of my guns
except the AK-47. I'm new to that one and need to get to know it a little better before I leave it in that condition. The magazine is attached, though, and there are 30 little Russians at the ready

and to make this Glock related, I'd call an AK the Glock of semi-auto rifles. Put ammo in, pull trigger, and it goes bang every time. It won't win a beauty contest, but it's always got your back.
an AK-47 is pretty serious fire power for home defense

Old 12-05-2009, 05:15 AM

I call all of my guns home defense and the actual defender will be the one I am closest to if I ever actually need it. Hopefully that never happens, but if the AK is the closest, it will become the home defense gun with serious fire power. The G19 is now my kitchen gun and I finally get to shoot it on Monday. It's hard to wait a week with a new toy just sitting there waiting to be played with

Old 12-06-2009, 11:51 AM

Finally got to shoot the G19 today and it was very natural. I don't understand the problem people have with the trigger, it felt just fine to me. Then again I kinda like a little pull on the trigger. I'd much rather make sure I actually meant to pull the trigger then have it go off when my finger accidentally brushed against it. It was also very accurate and that's with the standard sights.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:49 PM

I just read in another forum that reloads, especially lead bullets, should never be used in a Glock. How true is this? I (now) know the manual says don't do it and there is an issue with the barrel, but is it really that bad? I bought 100 of them at a gun show and really don't want to throw them all away. I shot about 30 of them today with no issue and will definitely give the bore a good scrubbing.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:30 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,622,786 times
Quote:
I just read in another forum that reloads, especially lead bullets, should never be used in a Glock. How true is this? I (now) know the manual says don't do it and there is an issue with the barrel, but is it really that bad? I bought 100 of them at a gun show and really don't want to throw them all away. I shot about 30 of them today with no issue and will definitely give the bore a good scrubbing.
Reloads, especially ones with cast bullets are loaded with less than normal amounts of powder. They just plain do not cycle correctly.

I heavy warning for all considering reloads. Do not use reloads for home defense. A attorney can prove in court that you wanted "deadly rounds", placing you in the penal system. Besides the point in the case of a intruder I am going to use the entire magazine on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting