Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:26 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times

Advertisements

File this experience under "Don't believe everything you read".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 01:05 PM

910 posts, read 2,294,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I read to put it in wet hair, let it sit over night and wash it out the next morning, so I tried it. I had to re-wash my hair 3 or 4 times to get it all out. And I didn't even use that much. It was so awful. It did not turn out how pinterest said it would lol It was soft, but also heavy, greasy and flat.
You would've actually had much better results if you'd tried to remove it with conditioner (CO) believe it or not (one with no oils or silicones, of course). At most you might've needed a second "co-wash" and your hair would've been left soft, not greasy. Also, adding maybe the juice of 1/2 a lemon or lime or a tsp. of vinegar to a portion of conditioner helps wash off the excess oil. So next time just be sure to scrub the CO well enough and maybe even leave it on a few min. while you do the rest of your shower (so the mild surfactants in the CO have a chance to do a better job) before rinsing it out with warm water.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
To really get grease out, use Dawn dishwashing liquid. Just a drop, its concentrated! I used it on my DS head when he returned from Boy Scout Camp, a week of no showers!

I don't know what it would do to your color, though....
Oh my, that's like using a bazuka to kil a rat! FYI you can remove oil way better with conditioner (one without oils, of course, and preferably silicones too) than w/shampoo. And if you don't know what it'll do to her color (strip it, that's what!), why do you bother offering such harsh advice???

Old 10-18-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
File this experience under "Don't believe everything you read".
Why? Because she used too much when common sense would dictate that an oil, especially used for the first time, should be applied in a very small amount to begin with to see how it goes? You can always add MORE even after dry but obviously it's harder to remove the excess. I have used coconut oil in my hair many times, both as a deep treatment, either overnight or for an hour or more and never had any problem removing it with just conditioner and had great results. I've also used a FEW drops mixed with my leave-in conditioner or even a hair gel, or directly on the palm of my hands but I apply that way mainly on my old colored ends and whatever's left in the palms of my hands I run over the surface of my hair.

I'd say to file this experience under "I really need to proceed with caution next time".

Old 10-18-2016, 02:29 PM

212 posts, read 195,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

Know what works for your hair.

This! My hair is normal, not too oily, not too dry. I wash it twice a week and only use a light conditioner once a week. The other time I wash it, I simply use shampoo and rinse it out. I also don't use product in my hair, I don't blow dry and I rarely use a curling iron.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:49 PM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Just wanted to chime in and say that coconut oil hair conditioner does not work with my (normal) hair, either, and I will never buy another product with coconut oil in it. I followed the directions, and my hair came out sticky and greasy looking. (However, it was fine after I rewashed it, without putting in any conditioner afterward.)

As others have said, live and learn.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:54 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,255,257 times
I have no problem w/ coconut oil. Love it and use it regularly. I find it works best when mixed with conditioner, then rinsed out - or left in. ( I have super thick & long, wavy hair tho.. ) Every so often, I'll massage in from scalp to tips, then wash out.

I agree w/ the advice to avoid dishwashing liquid lol ~ try a good clarifying shampoo instead.

* Also, water temperature plays a huge role here. .

Old 10-21-2016, 08:42 PM

381 posts, read 177,317 times
I never use coconut oil as a styling product unless it's serum like the one Organix makes--and other brands--and that too a small amount on damp hair for softness. I'm Indian and have been using coconut oil my whole life, and this is probably the most common way we use it: heat coconut oil and put it on the scalp and the length of the hair. Massage the scalp as the warm oil is relaxing and moisturizes the scalp. I leave the oil overnight and put a hand towel or whatever on the pillow. I wash it off the next day by shampooing twice to remove the oil. I don't condition as the hair is soft already from the oil.

By the way, if the oil is solid because of the cold or if it comes in a solid form, just heat the desired amount in a microwaveable bowl for a couple of minutes.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:45 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
I use it regularly use it on my hair and love it but my hair is dry, coarse, and curly.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:29 PM

110 posts, read 134,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
So I ran out of leave-in conditioner / spritz /whatnot and washed and conditioned my hair and remembered I read how coconut oil will change my life.
I decided to apply some to my wet hair before blow-drying. OMG my hair looks worse then before I washed it!!
I did put too much on especially around my face and it looks really greasy and separated.
I have some corn starch - does anyone know how much cornstarch to use to get some oilyness out?
I just got it all foiled 2 weeks ago and don.t want to wash it, as i usually only wash it 1x week. I like to keep from washing the color out.
Any ideas?

First of all, you're only supposed to put it on the ends of your hair- and not as a leave in condition. Only For a mask that you have to wash out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care