Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 06:40 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times

Advertisements

My 1 year is always scratching her head at night. Last night was the worst since she woke up completely and just cried. So I put olive oil because the only thing my doctor recommended was Neutrogena t/gel which I used the night before. Her hair is oily now.

So how do wash her hair without using shampoo? Is there an alternative to olive oil? I know next time I will apply it directly to the scalp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 04:07 PM

182 posts, read 647,291 times
Conditioner has mild surfactants in it, so you can wash her hair with it, need to leave it on at least 15 minutes for it to work. You might try aloe vera gel (the pure stuff, I use Fruit of the earth, which you can find at walmart). Oil applied directly to the scalp may cause more problems, it will throw off the PH balance of the acid mantle.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:28 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,530,288 times
What does her scalp look like? Cradle cap? Eczema (not sure if I spelled that correctly). Lice from day care? (Sometimes they are REALLY hard to see). Does she use a little pillow? Have you changed detergents? I used Ivory Snow and I think another one in a pink box that was gentle. Dreft? Has she shared a cap with another kid?

If she is 'always' doing it, there is a problem that might be coming from the 'inside'.....is her other skin dry or just her scalp? Allergies? Have you tried adding a little more oil to her diet? (Not her head.....but her food.....even if it's soft french fries that are cooked in oil or soft cookies that have butter in the recipe).

Have you tried something like Johnson's Baby Oil? They've been around forever.....

Why don't you want to use Johnson's Baby Shampoo? (Or did you use this in the past?) It's very gentle..... Seems like they have one with lavendar and chamomile in it now...maybe that would be more soothing...

For the worst itchy spots, try a cream like Cort Aid or even a store brand that is similar....it'll help with the itch. It might be better than olive oil......that sounds messy to me......

They have Aveeno oatmeal packets that you can put in baths when you have chicken pox, poison oak, etc. Maybe you could use that as a temporary shampoo?

I know you're worried and stressed...I hate to see babies in pain, poor little thing......maybe somebody will suggest something else that can help you.....good luck.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:04 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Dr. Bronner's has a mild castile baby soap that you can use on your child's head. I'm a little concerned though: how is it, that you didn't know, that putting oil on your child's hair would make it oily?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care