Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 06:11 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e66330 View Post
2 years ago my 23YO daughter could not wait to move to VB , now she cannot wait to move back . The sad thing is she is leaving a $40,000 a year job in VB . Oh well , live and learn . Sometimes they have to learn the hard way . She is leaving for many of the reasons Tanner0486 listed .
That's tight in Virginia Beach. You can only afford a $1,000 a month apartment on that. And that doesn't leave much after taxes.

$40,000 a year would be a lot in Ohio. You could make a decent down payment on a house in a working class neighborhood on that salary there. It wouldn't get you into a trendy neighborhood but it would get you what you need. And that's all that matters.

As another poster mentioned that is a good salary in Virginia Beach but that is still a working class salary. Without a second income she would still be up against the wall. She's better off in the Midwest for that amount, or maybe the Gulf Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 06:44 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,222,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner0486 View Post
Virginia Beach is the worst place I've ever lived in America. Everyone preaches God and goes to church which is weird cause they're the most miserable people I've had the unfortunate opportunity to meet. The whole state shuts down on Sundays which isn't so bad considering the dining specially seafood sucks. Violence is broadcast every hour on wavy ten news, reminds me of a less religious version of Chicago. Common wealth state, high cost of living and cheap quality living. Cockroaches and other tropical jungle creatures are everywhere. Drivers and lights are horrible and people have no consideration for others. If you're looking to move to Virginia Beach i'd really reconsider your current situation unless it's ordered via military, which in that case sorry about your bad luck.

Yet, there you are.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:49 PM

214 posts, read 260,841 times
She has a roommate , for now . Money is not really an issue , She will be on her own in the late summer . Her biggest problem is the rude , maybe nasty people she encounters every day . And no , it is not her , she tends toward the wallflowerish type person . Quiet , considerate - maybe that is her problem . ? .

Old 01-03-2017, 11:29 AM

795 posts, read 1,008,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
This post has me confused. $40k isn't much in Virginia Beach far as housing goes, but $40k is not easy to make in VB so your daughter has some luck on her side.

My roommate had a choice between Chicago and VB for his new job. When he said Chicago I was like, SMART choice.
Chicago that had 762 murders in 2016?

Old 01-03-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
Chicago that had 762 murders in 2016?
I guess it depends on where at in Chicago you're talking about. The city is big enough that you could live in a safe neighborhood downtown and get a city experience you won't get in Virginia Beach. But yes, you take the good with the bad in Chicago, as that would also mean living in a bubble, while in Virginia Beach you could have the run of the city without running into too many problems.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:18 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I guess it depends on where at in Chicago you're talking about. The city is big enough that you could live in a safe neighborhood downtown and get a city experience you won't get in Virginia Beach. But yes, you take the good with the bad in Chicago, as that would also mean living in a bubble, while in Virginia Beach you could have the run of the city without running into too many problems.
With his budget, isn't like he is going to be living in Edgewood (South Side) or Austin (West Side). Our current place is super close to amentities (walking) and he has better chance of finding it in Chicago. Let's not get started on the dating scene comparison.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
With his budget, isn't like he is going to be living in Edgewood (South Side) or Austin (West Side). Our current place is super close to amentities (walking) and he has better chance of finding it in Chicago. Let's not get started on the dating scene comparison.

Absolutely

Old 01-09-2017, 11:39 AM

325 posts, read 336,596 times
If the OP really wants to be in NY City or LA she would have to deal with higher cost of living, labor unions, and maybe less job opportunities...Apparently the Hampton Roads area's terrain being flat or almost flat is considered boring. But the main advantage is the 1 hour access to the Outer Banks. Main disadvantes is hurricanes. I do realize that the economy in HR has been erratic from OK to not too good. Oh, yeah, some malls are disappearing. The Lynnhaven Mall in VB looked it has downsized. When I was there the upper level is gone.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrltenSpke11 View Post
If the OP really wants to be in NY City or LA she would have to deal with higher cost of living, labor unions, and maybe less job opportunities...Apparently the Hampton Roads area's terrain being flat or almost flat is considered boring. But the main advantage is the 1 hour access to the Outer Banks. Main disadvantes is hurricanes. I do realize that the economy in HR has been erratic from OK to not too good. Oh, yeah, some malls are disappearing. The Lynnhaven Mall in VB looked it has downsized. When I was there the upper level is gone.
I'm not sure why Lynnhaven went that route. Dumbest thing they could have done. They need to scrap that mall and go vertical, and take the other half of that property and make it high residential. People could live at the mall and shop at the mall.

No vision. I like what they did with the food court and raising the ceiling but there are entirely too many people in that mall for it to remain horizontal. It would be different if they had underground levels but that isn't possible in Virginia Beach. Even if it were on a hill, like Greenbrier, it would be interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area