Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 12:07 PM

136 posts, read 443,823 times

Advertisements

OH boy. Another clueless person. There are TONS of things to do and music to hear in Hampton Roads. Check out the MEONA website. During the summer, there's all sorts of music FREE 7 nights a week. As for the food, go to AltDaily and look in the food section, or pick up a VEER magazine. There are many MANY great mom and pop restaurants in HR. As for the person that thought Norfolk General was in the ghetto: that's the most expensive ghetto in North America, then. I think we have a one post wonder there.

MUSIC EVENTS OUTDOOR OF NOTABLE ACHIEVEMENT

AltDaily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 09:13 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D train outta nowhere View Post
I agree with part of where Lindsey's going, but I think the people are probably nicer here than in NY.

I want to be around people who are nice and don't look down on each other. I never really had that feeling here.

I have Beck's Odelay CD somewhere around but I actually like Tears for Fears, Depeche Mode, New Order, and a ton of '80s and a lot of '90s music. Where can I find all the '80s holdouts living???

P.S.
I like 80s. Nineties not so much.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
My first thought was that I'm not that young, and beck was popular when I was in HS. What an odd choice of artists for someone to complain about folks not knowing in 2014.
I was just giving her a hard time, like I usually do when I see ignorance on the forum.

On a serious note there are plenty of places movies aren't filmed. The only movie I remember being filmed in Ohio was "A Christmas Story", and I think that was either in Cleveland or somewhere out in the suburbs. Never heard of a film being shot in Akron. A lot of films are shot in Canada, where it is cheaper, or places like Minneapolis. Films aren't always shot where they're based. I know there are other films; The Battle of Shaker Heights for example, but we aren't on brand name recognition, for the most part.

She sounds frustrated because HR doesn't have a nationally known "scene". Like Brooklyn has Williamsburg, Manhattan has SoHo, NYC in general has a lot of scenes that are known all over. LA has Hollywood, and Rodeo Drive, or East LA and South Central, depending on how you look at it. No Watts or Compton in HR, nothing famous or infamous, no "East 99th", per se. No Michigan Ave. But that is not culture. That is just media hype of over real people dealing with real problems at an intriguing time in that neighborhoods history. Media continues to look for the next big thing, the next chic location.

She should move back to those areas, if she wants something along those lines.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:24 AM

867 posts, read 1,398,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I was just giving her a hard time, like I usually do when I see ignorance on the forum.

On a serious note there are plenty of places movies aren't filmed. The only movie I remember being filmed in Ohio was "A Christmas Story", and I think that was either in Cleveland or somewhere out in the suburbs. Never heard of a film being shot in Akron. A lot of films are shot in Canada, where it is cheaper, or places like Minneapolis. Films aren't always shot where they're based. I know there are other films; The Battle of Shaker Heights for example, but we aren't on brand name recognition, for the most part.

She sounds frustrated because HR doesn't have a nationally known "scene". Like Brooklyn has Williamsburg, Manhattan has SoHo, NYC in general has a lot of scenes that are known all over. LA has Hollywood, and Rodeo Drive, or East LA and South Central, depending on how you look at it. No Watts or Compton in HR, nothing famous or infamous, no "East 99th", per se. No Michigan Ave. But that is not culture. That is just media hype of over real people dealing with real problems at an intriguing time in that neighborhoods history. Media continues to look for the next big thing, the next chic location.

She should move back to those areas, if she wants something along those lines.
Yep.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:20 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,621,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post

It just goes to show that you can't please everyone. I look at it as a positive that we don't have known "scenes" or infamous areas around here.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
It just goes to show that you can't please everyone. I look at it as a positive that we don't have known "scenes" or infamous areas around here.
Life would be a lot easier if they saw the positive wherever they live. There are places I do not necessarily care for. But I can't waste energy talking about them.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:08 PM

867 posts, read 1,398,291 times
Quote:
On second thought "The Strip" is pretty well known.
And the word "Ghent" is starting to ring a lot of places though not on the level as the Oceanfront, yet.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:59 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,621,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
On second thought "The Strip" is pretty well known.
And the word "Ghent" is starting to ring a lot of places though not on the level as the Oceanfront, yet.
No doubt there are cool areas, no doubt both the strip and ghent are coming up, and I hope VB town center, waterside, and this new norfolk arts district thrive as well... I just like that it is lowkey for the most part.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:05 AM

6 posts, read 14,108 times
due to my dad's job we moved a lot so I've lived everywhere (Richmond, HR, Nova, LA, Miami, Denver) I moved to nova after college for a job but left about a year later, the traffic and congestion was beyond insane then I moved to HR again. I enjoyed living in HR but after after a while it got dull. I missed the energy and excitement of nova but I plan on moving back to hr when I retire it's a good area if you're looking for a slower lifestyle and reasonable CoL even though the job market could be better.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
No doubt there are cool areas, no doubt both the strip and ghent are coming up, and I hope VB town center, waterside, and this new norfolk arts district thrive as well... I just like that it is lowkey for the most part.
The word isn't getting out. Even Pittsburgh gets more coverage.

We do need movies based here. But a TV show would be interesting as well. I have seen smaller, independent stuff based here.

Precinct 757 the pilot is now Precinct 757 the Series!! - PRECINCT 757 TV SERIES
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area