Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 06:05 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,343,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Hampton Roads is a small metro. The military people are the only ones that gives Hampton Roads life. And the tourists during the summer.
How in the hell do military people give an area "life." What sense does that make?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 06:09 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
How in the hell do military people give an area "life." What sense does that make?
Yeah because this is a small metro, so now there are more people here due to the military. So due to the military people this metro is bigger.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Yeah because this is a small metro, so now there are more people here due to the military. So due to the military people this metro is bigger.
Uhhh, only 60,000 people are in the military in HR. There are 1.795 million in the metro. You don't know much about he region to even give a judgement on the size of it. Mid-major is the correct category. Every metro has something that makes it tick. For some, it's banking, others it's automobiles, others it's technology. For HamptonRoads it's defense spending, international trade, shipbuilding, modeling + simulation, and coal. Nothing wrong with that. But trust me, the military does not give the region "life". It probably takes life away.

Watch this video if your interested in seeng what gives this area "life."

video-player (http://www.hreda.com/video/video-player.html - broken link)

Old 11-14-2009, 06:29 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Uhhh, only 60,000 people are in the military in HR. There are 1.795 million in the metro. You don't know much about he region to even give a judgement on the size of it. Mid-major is the correct category. Every metro has something that makes it tick. For some, it's banking, others it's automobiles, others it's technology. For HamptonRoads it's defense spending, international trade, shipbuilding, modeling + simulation, and coal. Nothing wrong with that. But trust me, the military does not give the region "life". It probably takes life away.

The huge military bases in Fayetteville NC(Fort Bragg) and Columbus GA(Fort Benning) don't really give those areas much life.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The huge military bases in Fayetteville NC(Fort Bragg) and Columbus GA(Fort Benning) don't really give those areas much life.
Exactly. Miltary and "life" are like exact opposites..

The military may boost population by 100,000 or so, but they certaintly don't make the region more vibrant.It's the diversity, festivities, concerts, plays, operas, sports, beaches, etc. that give Hampton Roads "Life."

Old 11-14-2009, 06:36 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:

You are talking about another type of "life." What I am saying here is due to military there are more people and different kind of people. Hence hampton roads now is more diversed. Before it was only White and Blacks for the most part. Now, there are Asians, Hispanics etc... And it is still growing.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:18 PM

542 posts, read 991,943 times
In my book if it's at least a million in the metro, it's a major metro area. Now everyone has different perspectives on where they are from. I've heard Philadelphia called a small town by NYC people. Where I live some people think Roanoke, VA is the "big city". Barely 450,000 metro, and that's only if you consolidate the Blacksburg area which the census bureau does not. The only "big city" things lacking in Norfolk/etc are major league sports, a towering skyscraper you can see from miles away to define Norfolks mediocre skyline and theme restaurants like Hard Rock Cafe, Planet Hollywood, etc. But it's getting light rail and is a major port, not just military. So it is an important area from many different perspectives. And the nation began close by. So yes it's a major metro.
Other metros of similar size-Charlotte, NC, slightly smaller. New Orleans,slightly bigger. Las Vegas, close. Jacksonville, FL,close. Louisville,slightly bigger. Buffalo,NY, considerably bigger. Pittsburgh, smaller, but gaining. Columbus, OH, slightly smaller. Raleigh, NC, close. Austin, TX, close. Portland, OR, slightly smaller. etc.

Hampton Roads is definitely no New York. But what other city is??

I wrote out the the other cities a little confusingly. Example, Hampton Roads is slightly smaller than Charlotte, NC and HR is slightly bigger than NOLA and so forth. BTW I'm comparing metro populations, not city.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:21 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
I believe nycrican is actually in the military, so his perception of what is in Hampton Roads is probably strongly skewed towards the military which is why he could believe that a population in the tens of thousands would be the primary focus for a region of over a million.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:31 PM

You know, I agree with everything you said.. Rep points on your way

The problem with Norfolks' skyline is you have four other downtown's with skylines in the same metro.

You've got Norfolk

Virginia Beach-Miles and miles of skyline
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/baseballgrayson/TAU2740.jpg (broken link)

Virginia Beach again- 3 year old "downtown", give it some time it will be huge.

Portsmouth- Damn it's tiny.

Newport News- Damn it's tiny. Fledling downtown. Give it time as well

Hampton waterfront

My point is, Put all those together and you have a huge downtown.

But yeah.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I believe nycrican is actually in the military, so his perception of what is in Hampton Roads is probably strongly skewed towards the military which is why he could believe that a population in the tens of thousands would be the primary focus for a region of over a million.
Oh wow, I didn't know that.. Well there ya go.

The military shops at military exchanges, eats on base, gets haircuts on base, lives on base, etc. I don't see how they help Hampton Roads become a better place.

What helps us is the companies around here that make stuff for the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area