Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 03:41 PM

36 posts, read 83,213 times

Advertisements

Seniors and none military retirees are not being mentioned here.

We are in our 60's, just returned from Hilo.

We didn't have any fantasies about living in Hawaii but thought we would investigate. Here are the reasons why we didn't stay and in fact, left 2 weeks early.

Our medicare insurance would not pay in Hawaii.

There is a shortage of doctors in private practice, more are going to retire in the next 5 years and recruitment efforts are failing because of the cost of living.

For any major health emergency, would need to be flown to Oahu/Hon for about $6,000.

VOG affected me very much. We both experienced "glass on the eyeball" on the days trade winds didn't blow it away (2 days a week, on average).

Mold and mildew created breathing problems for me, as did the heavy, wet air. The first week, I had about 10 mosquito bites. I wore earplugs to sleep because of the frogs.

Housing definitely a problem. It was suggested to call owners of VRBO for temporary housing...that's how many phone calls and how many hours? Not practical. (We are used to being regarded as valued tenants, due to our age - we know how to live - and with steady income, etc.)

So we ended up on a very unappealing and unhealthy condo that we could only tolerate for a few weeks.

The "undercurrent" of stress about the destruction of the island by: volcano, earthquake, tsunami and debris from Japan is very real. I never got the impression it will be possible to evacuate large populations with little or no notice, due to natural disasters. My understanding is that the airport will shut down? And if not, how many flights can go out?

How unhealthy has island grown food become with the vog? A local, at the Hilo market, was honest to say it comes down like acid rain, when it rains. Does it go into the ground and then into the plants? (I read one website where a local was pleading to declare the valley as a natural disaster because the crops were dying from vog.),

Hawaii is a romantic thought and it's one of only a few warm places for snowbirds like us and it's now out of the question.

Mexico is out of the question and who wants to smell unrefined diesel, even if you were willing to get caught up in random drug violence?

Arizona is getting short on water.

Maybe Puerto Rico will be our next state.

I know this is very sensitive information; tourism is the major employer but keeping these facts from our seniors does not serve.

I'm just glad we didn't do something stupid, like ship our household items, etc over there with first doing our research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 03:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
The op wrote: "I never got the impression it will be possible to evacuate large populations with little or no notice, due to natural disasters. My understanding is that the airport will shut down? And if not, how many flights can go out?"

Well - that is true for most locations regarding natural disasters - For instance, the US West Coast is prone to earthquakes and Puerto Rico where you are considering is in the bullseye of Hurricanes - and if you thought Hilo was humid, you'll have quite a shock ahead of you in the summer months.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:06 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,695,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot62 View Post
I know this is very sensitive information; tourism is the major employer but keeping these facts from our seniors does not serve.
not one thing you mentioned is a secret or unknown, everything you mentioned is a common well known fact if one looks for the facts and not the fantasy. Sorry it didn't work out but nothing you mentioned should have been a surprise.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:59 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,814,251 times
True enough PacificFlights. Rain and mildew and bugs and frogs and vog .... all those things are possible in our tropical environment on an island with volcanic activity.

And in the OP, I noted that two other things:

Quote:
Our medicare insurance would not pay in Hawaii.
Medicare does cover Hawaii, we are a state after all.

Quote:
The "undercurrent" of stress about the destruction of the island by: volcano, earthquake, tsunami and debris from Japan is very real. I never got the impression it will be possible to evacuate large populations with little or no notice, due to natural disasters.
Evacuation off island is not a primary response to natural disasters in the state of Hawaii. Preparation is, such as taking self responsibility to have a few days of supplies on hand to carry you over in the case of an earthquake or hurricane, and knowing when and where to "evacuate" in case a tsunami. The volcanos represents little danger in the way of "emergency danger", we don't have "blow the top off" types of eruptions. ["Undercurrent" of stress? Maybe among ...... tourists that have a scary-story-telling-guide?]

But Bigfoot did bring up a great point: people need to really do their homework before moving here, to see if it is right for them or not.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:22 PM

39 posts, read 110,884 times
There is still traffic and crime, and there are still some rude people in Hawaii like anywhere else. People tend to live for about a year in the honeymoon stage, still euphoric about living in Hawaii. Then reality sets in. People in Hawaii still get sick. Life still throws you a curve ball in paradise, and your stuff begins to rust, no matter where you live on the island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii