Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 03:42 PM

22 posts, read 84,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
To Jeepers Paradise: No rudeness intended, but you are incorrect. I graduated from Paris Island on 01/11/69 and watched the first bus load(s) of official draftees arrive on PI on that day. It was a hot topic within the Corps on the island. The DIs (drill instructors) made many comments about the sad turn of events. New recruits are regularly characterized as being as low as "whale sh**", my DI said they have to come up with a new label for draftee recruits.

Just FYI, later in Viet Nam, I didn't notice any difference in the color of blood spilled between draftees and us volunteer enlisted types. There was an informal stigma of being drafted into the Corps as opposed to enlisting but it didn't make any difference in combat.

Let me be clear, there was no intent to characterize and dilute individual resolve or service. Everyone, including myself, sacrificed and did the job. The qustion was/is about proven "draft" other than as described by selective service, in the context of the comments made. If anyone takes offense about a simple question on THAT point ONLY, my apologies. Asking a question should not be misconstrued as something that is/was somehow negative. If someone wants to feel slighted, they will, regardless of whatever is said. Either way, peace and objectivity. A democracy allows all of us to learn, by asking and being open minded listeners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 07:27 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,263,296 times
No offense was taken on my part whatsoever with your post. I only commented on my experience at Paris Island. No harm, no foul.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:10 PM

52 posts, read 159,528 times
Wow. A lot of old veterans on this board.

Question: If you see a homeless person with a sign that says "homeless vet...need money/food/etc.." what do you do?

Old 09-30-2011, 08:53 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,907,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Paradise View Post
Let me be clear, there was no intent to characterize and dilute individual resolve or service. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
No offense was taken on my part whatsoever with your post. I only commented on my experience at Paris Island. No harm, no foul.
Ditto ... no offense whatsoever taken ... the question of who got drafted into which services is not new ... most assume that all went to the Army ... that assumption has become so prevalent it is now widely accepted and quoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit808 View Post

Question: If you see a homeless person with a sign that says "homeless vet...need money/food/etc.." what do you do?
Well, speaking for myself, I don't assume that they are veterans ... lots of homeless who claim to be vets are not ... others are ... the fact is, and all vets know this, if a vet wants assistance, there are programs specifically targeting them through the VA and other associative agencies ... no veteran truly needs to panhandle, though some do. I have been involved in helping a number of vets who were facing homelessness, others who were suicidal, others who had severe medical problems. In each case I have been successful in connecting the veteran to appropriate resources and every person I have assisted has been grateful. Not all stay the course, however.

I would like to point out, given this turn of conversation, that the fairly common profile of veterans (particularly war / combat vets -- Vietnam, and now Iraq and Afghanistan) as haunted, tormented souls, consumed by alcoholism and drugs is not accurate in the majority. Certainly all who have engaged in combat are profoundly changed by the experience ... but, while many do [justifiably] struggle with difficult emotions at times, the vast majority really do adapt quite well and move forward over time. The majority are perfectly productive citizens, workers, and parents to their children, etc.

And for those who have a harder time than others getting over the hump and back in the saddle, there are extensive specialized resources.

Hawai'i has been a temporary home to many in the service ... it is a popular place to stay or return to for some after discharge ... that there are a high percentage of vets among Hawai'i's homeless is not surprising ... understand that some of these persons have some benefits that make their lifestyle possible given the climate.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:31 AM

140 posts, read 407,744 times
while we're talking about vets, i've often wondered something. why is it that guys that survived some of the nastiest wars, like vietnam, don't have the same benefits?

i understand that it was a draft and everyone got out with out the retirement benefits. idk, but it really doesn't really seem all that fair.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokeanne View Post
while we're talking about vets, i've often wondered something. why is it that guys that survived some of the nastiest wars, like vietnam, don't have the same benefits?

i understand that it was a draft and everyone got out with out the retirement benefits. idk, but it really doesn't really seem all that fair.
If you would give me examples of which benefits you think are not available to Vietnam veterans, I'm sure I can answer that for you. There are some differences in benefit packages from one era to another, but in the case of Vietnam specifically, I don't think we (Vietnam vets) are not offered anything that other vets get. We're drifting off the topic a bit, but I can provide resource lists if you (or anyone) else would like. There may be substitutions that are awarded and managed differently ... but overall, the support for medical and education and other opportunities is pretty strong.

Yesterday I did note (and started a new Hawai'i C D thread about) that a $1.5 million grant has just been awarded to a homeless outreach shelter charity. Most of this will benefit the non-veteran homeless, I presume, by the way -- as the chronic homeless who are veterans have many existing programs already available. But there will be some benefit in that the new grant will identify veterans who can then be channeled into veteran programs, while most of the actual counseling and assistance of the new grant will be used for those without access to veteran-related programs.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:50 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,486,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit808 View Post

Morning Jackrabbit!

If you see a homeless person or any other person in need and you have the means to help them - do it. Simple.

Love, Mahrie.
P.S. Our job is to love our neighbors, not to judge them.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:55 PM

As a final (?) follow-up to the question earlier in this thread about the draft in the Vietnam war era, I said I would survey a couple fellow vets who were in the Marines. I did and they have responded ... and confirmed further what I heard from other vets myself long ago, what I found on internet, and what Pilgrim 21784 reported. Both my latest respondents said they had personal experience with Marine Corps draftees ... one of my sources was a Captain with 10-yrs in service and two tours in Vietnam ... now a recently retired psychologist ... he had one draftee in one of his companies. As I enlisted and specifically requested duty that was volunteer only, I never served with any draftees, personally. But I was told there were some in the Navy, as well, and later met one sailor who claimed he was drafted. I have no reason to doubt him.

So, that's a wrap for me

Old 10-05-2011, 09:06 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,945,325 times
There is a special reason why so many Vietnam Vets have a soft spot for Hawaii. Hawaii was a major location for "R&R", the short respite that most Vietnam troops got. They'd be flown in, and taken by bus from Hickam to the R&R center at Ft. DeRussey, right at the corner of Ala Moana and Kalakaua. I served all the way from the Korean War through the Cold War, including 'Nam, and was stationed in Hawaii from '65 to '71, the heart of it.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
There is a special reason why so many Vietnam Vets have a soft spot for Hawaii. Hawaii was a major location for "R&R", the short respite that most Vietnam troops got. They'd be flown in, and taken by bus from Hickam to the R&R center at Ft. DeRussey, right at the corner of Ala Moana and Kalakaua. I served all the way from the Korean War through the Cold War, including 'Nam, and was stationed in Hawaii from '65 to '71, the heart of it.
Yep. My first intro to Hawaii was as a just-turned 18-year-old on my way over to the war in '67 ... squadron in and out of Barber's Point for final checks and preparations ... carrier into Pearl for same ... now I still love to walk along the canal trail at Hickam ... and always recall my wonder at moving along past the trees and housing seemingly so close to the flight deck I thought I could almost grab the tree-top leaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii