Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 07:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
And then there is the argument that just because the Hawaiians lost control of their land to a powerful empire and became a minority that voted for statehood (some sort of Stockholm syndrome), doesn't invalidate the Hawaiian renaissance and sovereignty claims.
I've neither brushed off or taken a position on the Hawaiian language/culture components you keep telling me I've brushed off - I don't know enough about the subject - I do know from research - it seems there was a lot of excitement even among native Hawaiians in 1959 to become a state and the sovereignty movement seems almost across the board started in the 70's and 80's when coincidentally (or not so coincidentally) the honeymoon of statehood was over due to changing enconomic conditions transitioning from the growth in 60's to the more stagnant 70's/80's and Hawaii really transformed itself much more rapidly from a agricultural state to a hospitality state.

I'd like to hear more on this position regarding Hawaiians losing control of their land. Did they ever really have control of it? Wasn't the land in the 1890's broken down to government land which was tightly controlled, royal land, and private land. It is my understanding private land wasn't given up - and yes, the US and new territory grabbed the government and royal lands - but was that ever really the Hawaiians land - I mean, would a Hawaiian in 1880 look at the goverment and royal land and say - yep, that's my land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 01:17 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
Here on Kaua'i, we have the Polynesian Kingdom of Atooi, but I'm not sure what their position is on Kamehameha and/or being separate from the rest of the state. You'd have to ask them:

Polynesian Kingdom of Atooi
I finally had time to read through their website and watch their videos. While I found it very interesting, it was also confusing and in my opinion, lacked much real information. I am not sure who these people are, what land they actually own, what their plans are, etc... I did a web search on them and didn't find much info. I did get this off of Wikipedia - Dayne Aleka Aipoalani of Kekaha on the island of Kauaʻi founded a group called the Polynesian Kingdom of Atooi. "Atooi" was the spelling of the local pronuciation of Kauaʻi by the first British visitors in 1778. He contrasts his group to others, saying: "We welcome everyone, including landowners who are already here. Hawaiians and non-Hawaiians." He established relations with the group Te Moana Nui A Kiva (Royal Union of Pacific Nations), which supports other Polynesian indigenous people.

From that I got that he wants to be the king of Kaua'i and welcomes everyone there to join him no matter what their race is.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:01 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I finally had time to read through their website and watch their videos. While I found it very interesting, it was also confusing and in my opinion, lacked much real information. I am not sure who these people are, what land they actually own, what their plans are, etc... I did a web search on them and didn't find much info. I did get this off of Wikipedia - Dayne Aleka Aipoalani of Kekaha on the island of Kauaʻi founded a group called the Polynesian Kingdom of Atooi. "Atooi" was the spelling of the local pronuciation of Kauaʻi by the first British visitors in 1778. He contrasts his group to others, saying: "We welcome everyone, including landowners who are already here. Hawaiians and non-Hawaiians." He established relations with the group Te Moana Nui A Kiva (Royal Union of Pacific Nations), which supports other Polynesian indigenous people.

From that I got that he wants to be the king of Kaua'i and welcomes everyone there to join him no matter what their race is.
For the most part, he's a "crackpot" along with others that currently fashion themselves to be rulers, ministers, etc. of assorted Hawaiian "kingdoms."

Here's a brief rundown of some of them...
1. The Reinstated Hawaiian Kingdom Government - led by Henry Noa
2. The Kingdom of Hawaii - led by Dennis W. Ragsdale
3. The Kingdom of Hawaii - led by James Akahi
4. The Hawaiian Kingdom Government - led by Keanu Sai
5. The Hawaiian Kingdom Government (Aupuni o ko Hawaii Pae Aina) - led by Mahealani Kahau
6. The Kingdom of Hawaii National Election Office - led by Richard Kamahele Figueroa

It would be interesting to see what would happen if all of the assorted Hawaiian "kingdoms" were forced to work together...

Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
For the most part, he's a "crackpot" along with others that currently fashion themselves to be rulers, ministers, etc. of assorted Hawaiian "kingdoms."

Here's a brief rundown of some of them...
1. The Reinstated Hawaiian Kingdom Government - led by Henry Noa
2. The Kingdom of Hawaii - led by Dennis W. Ragsdale
3. The Kingdom of Hawaii - led by James Akahi
4. The Hawaiian Kingdom Government - led by Keanu Sai
5. The Hawaiian Kingdom Government (Aupuni o ko Hawaii Pae Aina) - led by Mahealani Kahau
6. The Kingdom of Hawaii National Election Office - led by Richard Kamahele Figueroa

It would be interesting to see what would happen if all of the assorted Hawaiian "kingdoms" were forced to work together...
WOW! I had no idea that there are so many!!!

Thanks for the links. It should make for some FUN reading tonight!

Old 04-13-2012, 01:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Simply stated, for those who don't want to wade through all the verbiage, before Kamehameha "united" the islands into one monarchy, there were lots of kings, at least one for every island, and in the case of the Big Island, several.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:19 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:

Thanks for the links. It should make for some FUN reading tonight!
Those are just the ones that are technologically-saavy enough to have a website or other presence on the internet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Simply stated, for those who don't want to wade through all the verbiage, before Kamehameha "united" the islands into one monarchy, there were lots of kings, at least one for every island, and in the case of the Big Island, several.
Actually, there weren't any "kings" or "queens" in Hawaiʻi prior to the arrival of the Europeans. Traditionally, all we had were several levels of aliʻi (chiefs). High chiefs that held sway over most of a particular district or island were referred to as aliʻi ʻaimoku. Unfortunately, many Europeans were unfamiliar with the complexities of the traditional Hawaiian political system and mistakenly viewed the aliʻi ʻaimoku as "kings." Furthermore, the Hawaiian monarchy would have never been established without the influence of John Young (aka ʻOlohana) and Isaac Davis (aka ʻAikake) who were Europeans that served as advisors to Kamehameha. Young and Davis provided Kamehameha with the knowledge of European monarchial systems as well as the military knowledge and technology to establish a monarchy in Hawaiʻi. While nearly all of these modern-day Hawaiian "kingdoms" remain fixated on the 1893 overthrow of the Hawaiian monarchy, few of them acknowledge how the monarchy was originally established and are willing to admit that it's a foreign concept.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:54 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
While nearly all of these modern-day Hawaiian "kingdoms" remain fixated on the 1893 overthrow of the Hawaiian monarchy, few of them acknowledge how the monarchy was originally established and are willing to admit that it's a foreign concept.
That's because many people practice the "pick and choose method" when studying details of Hawaiian history.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:05 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
Way back... The kingdom owned all the land - and if they gave land to someone, when that person died, the kingdom got the land back...This means that the Hawaiian PEOPLE never actually owned land. They just had the use of it. Something to think about....

Old 04-20-2012, 10:07 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
There is a real conflict between my Hawaiian heritage and my pride in being an American. I Served in the US Army and was in Germany when there were so many anti-American demonstrations and terrorism. Our PX (Frankfurt) was bombed.

As I was born both Hawaiian and American I do have anger and sorrow for the way my people have been treated and for the overthrow of our Queen and the denigration of our Princess Royal by the American people.

It is not an easy relationship. Oh, I am also Native American, so I am pulled in many directions.
As I understand it was the plantation families who overthrew the queen, with the help of a rogue US Navy officer. The US government didn't support the overthrow and didn't recognize the new Hawaii government until a new president came into office.

BTW, why are the same plantation families still respected in Hawaii? Are people unaware of the history?

Old 04-21-2012, 11:51 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,536,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
That's because many people practice the "pick and choose method" when studying details of Hawaiian history.
Not just Hawaiian history... there is very little about the Native Americans in the history books. Where were they when.... What was there roll in the make up of the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii