Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 01:13 PM

44 posts, read 131,014 times

Advertisements

Based on personal experience only but often come across more rude tourists with entitlement mentality on Maui than when on Oahu.

Anyone think there is grain of truth to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 02:01 PM

892 posts, read 2,394,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemrut View Post
Based on personal experience only but often come across more rude tourists with entitlement mentality on Maui than when on Oahu.

Well one could probably make a fairly well-reasoned argument, I would imagine, that at least as a generalized average the tourists who come to Maui represent a higher income bracket (on average, I said) than those who flock to Oahu. Coming from the perspective of having grown up living in one of the east coast's premiere tourist attraction areas (and having worked many teenage jobs involving tourists) I would anecdotally assert that the richer people are the worse they act as tourists...especially Americans.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:40 PM

536 posts, read 483,484 times
I've never found that to be the case. I've found Maui to be pretty laid back - I've only stayed in Lahaina.

Waikiki is far more upscale, and has a much larger portion of Japanese tourists.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:02 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,840,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemrut View Post

Never noticed it. Honolulu is so hustle-bustle, that I associate it with life in any big city. When you get away from the City, people seem more relaxed, just like on Maui. The average age of tourists is higher on Maui, and perhaps they have higher expectations for service?

Old 03-17-2013, 04:43 PM

44 posts, read 131,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeej View Post
I've never found that to be the case. I've found Maui to be pretty laid back - I've only stayed in Lahaina.

Waikiki is far more upscale, and has a much larger portion of Japanese tourists.
...find Japanese tourists to be most civil, polite when there.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:01 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
If you happen to have a bus full of Japanese tourists, life is a joy. They listen, they are polite, they obey the rules, they come back to the bus on time, they don't get lost, Japanese tourists overall are great tourists. Some European groups are more loud, rude and not prone to listening to instructions. United States tourists from the mainland have a tendency to have an entitlement attitude "it's my vacation and I can do what I want" and be a bit rude, usually the further East they come from the more pronounced this attitude can be. However, if you want the worst group of folks to fill up a tour bus with, fill it with teachers. Guaranteed some of them will decide to wander off and find another way back without telling anyone, I might add. They will not listen, they will argue and they generally don't pay any attention to the rules.

All these are, of course, merely generalizations, and are sheerly from chatting with tour bus drivers so it isn't valid data and don't quote me on this.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:05 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,462,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
United States tourists from the mainland have a tendency to have an entitlement attitude "it's my vacation and I can do what I want" and be a bit rude, usually the further East they come from the more pronounced this attitude can be.
I know a guy who drives for one of the Big Island tour companies, and he told me he had Bill Gates on one of his tours... and he had to yell at him for trying to cross the street in front of the bus, which they announce over and over not to do, as a safety precaution.

On the other hand he said that Bill was a good sport about it, and was even apologetic that he had zoned out on what he was doing. But then again, he's from Seattle, where pedestrians will wait for a green light to cross the street, even in a pouring rain with no traffic.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:11 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
And the traffic in Seattle will come to a screeching halt upon the sight of a pedestrian even glancing across the street, let alone one actually thinking about crossing the street. I'd bet Seattle folks get run over a lot when they are places other than Seattle since their street crossing instincts have become rusty. All that rain, no doubt.

I would think Pacific North West tourists as well as Alaska tourists would be fairly polite? Those two areas seem somewhat similar in outlook to here so one would think the folks visiting from there would fit in here pretty well?

Old 03-18-2013, 02:01 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
When I moved to California - a friend of mine went back with me to downtown Chicago on a work trip. He started to cross Michigan Avenue and was almost run down (I had to grab him last minute) - he thought it was like CA where they stop for pedestrians in xwalk - I had to tell him a running down a pedestrian in Chicago is a sport.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:43 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,840,581 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
However, if you want the worst group of folks to fill up a tour bus with, fill it with teachers. Guaranteed some of them will decide to wander off and find another way back without telling anyone, I might add. They will not listen, they will argue and they generally don't pay any attention to the rules.
LOL Love it!!! That made my day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii