Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 08:36 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,785,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well I have a happy tummy today, I had Char Hung Sut (spelling doesn't count: peipei au, manapua, pork hash, mai tai su, and ?? mochi with pork hash filling) and Liliha Bakery Cocopuffs. . Two of my favorites brought to our office today.
Oh sounds so ono. Im putting it on my must eat at list.

Anyone else? I heard Leonard's Bakery,Champions and Eggs 'n Things are still around? Is that true? Would you still recommend them? Mahalo for your Aloha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 11:25 PM

174 posts, read 350,150 times
Leonard's Bakery - yes
Champions (Malasadas) - yes (there is also a Champions Bar) which is also still open (not sure which place you are referring to)
Eggs 'n Things - yes, and they opened up another location

Have not eaten anything from any of these places

Old 09-02-2013, 12:26 PM

Mahalo guys for your posts and recommendations.

There was this drive-in or restaurant on or around Ala Wai area where you can get these ono waffle dogs, anyone remember that? is it still there? Mahalo

Anyone else got any recommendations for ono grinds, fun, or shopping? It doesn't have to be Oahu or Honolulu.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:55 PM

5,637 posts, read 6,534,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Mahalo guys for your posts and recommendations.

There was this drive-in or restaurant on or around Ala Wai area where you can get these ono waffle dogs, anyone remember that? is it still there? Mahalo
I think you're talking about KC Drive-Inn. It closed about 7 or 8 years ago. I miss that place. My family and friends went there for more than 60 years.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I think you're talking about KC Drive-Inn. It closed about 7 or 8 years ago. I miss that place. My family and friends went there for more than 60 years.
Mahalo for your Aloha braddah, your an example of how much Aloha locals have. Ya all the good places gone for the most part. I remember running down there and getting waffle dogs after school. Kaimuki do you have any current local places you can recommend?

Same for anyone else. Mahalo

Old 09-02-2013, 03:14 PM

5,637 posts, read 6,534,509 times
Quote:
Mahalo for your Aloha braddah, your an example of how much Aloha locals have. Ya all the good places gone for the most part. I remember running down there and getting waffle dogs after school. Kaimuki do you have any current local places you can recommend?

Same for anyone else. Mahalo
Here are some of my favorite places to eat:

Highway Inn (Waipahu) Hawaii food
Tanioka's (Waipahu) great poke and takeout
Thelma's (Waipahu) Filipino food
Ige's Restaurant (Aiea) Local food
Imanas Tei Restaurant (Moiliili) Japanese food
Side Street Inn (Kapahulu and Kakaako)
Dean's Drive Inn (Kaneohe) cheap tasty eats
Diamond Head grill (Kapahulu) a bit pricy but good
Tenkaippin Ramen (Kapahulu) Yum
Rainbow Drive-In (Kapahulu) great plate lunches
Kenny's Restaurant (Kalihi) Local food
W&M Burger (Kaimuki) Yum
Happy Days (Kaimuki) good dim sum
Kim Chee III (Moiliili) Korean food

Old 09-05-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Here are some of my favorite places to eat:

Highway Inn (Waipahu) Hawaii food
Tanioka's (Waipahu) great poke and takeout
Thelma's (Waipahu) Filipino food
Ige's Restaurant (Aiea) Local food
Imanas Tei Restaurant (Moiliili) Japanese food
Side Street Inn (Kapahulu and Kakaako)
Dean's Drive Inn (Kaneohe) cheap tasty eats
Diamond Head grill (Kapahulu) a bit pricy but good
Tenkaippin Ramen (Kapahulu) Yum
Rainbow Drive-In (Kapahulu) great plate lunches
Kenny's Restaurant (Kalihi) Local food
W&M Burger (Kaimuki) Yum
Happy Days (Kaimuki) good dim sum
Kim Chee III (Moiliili) Korean food
Wow brah, i look forward to trying these gems, when i get home. Mahalo for your great list.

Anyone else have a local favorite they would like to share? It doesn't have to be Oahu.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:43 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,827,262 times
Quote:
Anyone else have a local favorite they would like to share? It doesn't have to be Oahu.
My local favorite is the Ohana Hawaiian Cafe. Their "Luau Plate" is ono!
Ohana Hawaiian Cafe

Old 09-05-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
My local favorite is the Ohana Hawaiian Cafe. Their "Luau Plate" is ono!
Ohana Hawaiian Cafe
Yes i agree the best Hawai'ian and local Hawai'i grinds in Portland is there. Real shave ice, real kona coffee, real poi etc.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:22 PM

Aloha,

Today i have learned a lesson to never open my mouth to friends about how much i know about Hawai'i(really not a huge lot lol) because now i got committed to help my friend and his wife plan there week vacation in Oahu(really not a problem, love my brah). My problem when it comes to really good grinds im at a loss because its been so long since the last time i lived in Oahu. I recommended some places i know that are still there and some from suggestions you guys made. So mahalo your posts have made a difference. So for todays post i wantted to ask you. Whats the best places for shave ice? I know Shimazu's, Matsomutos.

But what about Papalua Shave, Volcom Stone Shave, Snow Factory, Waiola, Island Snow, Lin's? (list i got from other friends) Are there others that i didn't list. I haven't tried most of these. Whats your suggestions? Would be greatful for your posts.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 09-09-2013 at 05:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii